Decoder advice
Within a few months, I expect to begin converting to DCC. I have both HOn3 and HO locomotives. I am assuming I will have to get Z-scale decoders for the HOn3, and shove the decoder into the tender with a myriad of wires connecting to the locomotive. For my HO locomotives, I expect the same - decoders in the tender and the same myriad of wires.

Since I am new to DCC, can someone recoomend good, dependable decoders? My criteria: 1) I want to control speed direction and lighting only, I have 100% zero interest in sound. 2) I will have front and rear headlights only 3) My locomotives are all "old style" with the engine and locomotive each picking up current from opposite rails. I plan to make them so the tender trucks pick up from both rails, but adding extra wipers to the "insulated" side of the drivers could be tricky. I assume that means I will need 5 wires to run from the tender to locomotive - two for the motor, two for the headlight, and one to bring track current from the locomotive drivers back to the decoder. Am I correct here?

I need advice on what brand and model number decoders that will fit my criteria, and any installation tips. Thanks.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I use Digitrax DZ125 Z Scale decoders for motor and light control. The small size of the decoder allows it to be tucked into a small space.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
TCS has a model that is very basic - lights/direction/speed only. The big bonus is the no-fault installation. If you fry it, they replace it. But don't discount sound...! Wink

Your wire count sounds right... if you don't get power from both sides of the loco. If you add those wipers, add one more wire. And for the tender, you may be able to reverse one of the trucks for a simple solution, depending on some other factors of course. This won't give you eight-wheel pick up, but it will get power from both sides.

Andrew
Thanks, Jeff. Have you had any issues with either overloading these decoders or any performance issues? I looked at the picture on the digitrax website and those are smaller than a dime and could fit inside some boilers. I would be most worried about current draw.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
HO locos equipped with DZ125's tend to reach top speed faster than with HO decoders. As for overloading I haven't had any problem with it. I have a pair of huge Athearn BB SDP40F's equipped with DZ125's pulling 26 cars without a problem.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
TCS has a new decoder. The Z2. it is rated at 1 amp. VERY SMALL!
You might want to do a amp draw test on your loco's first.
You can get by with just using 5 wires between the tender and loco. (1) red - right rail pick up (2) black- left rail pick up < you will need this if you make the loco pick up on both rails> other wise you could just pick up the left rail using the tender only, then you could delete the black wire between them. In this case you would only need 4. (3) white wire- headlight function (4) orange + motor lead (5) gray - motor lead. You can get power for your front light by using the red wire . It would provide the power and the white would complete the connection. DON'T FORGET TO USE RESISTORS. Not sure what your lamps are, 1.5 volt- 12 to 14 volt ? The 1.5 volts will need them or some type of voltage control. Same story for LED's