Two dcc controllers ?
HI all.
I have the Bachmann EZ Command and the Nce Power Cab. I will run 1 loco ( 2 max ) at a time. All turnouts will be manual and no signals or other electronics.
The NCE puts out 2 amps and the EZ command has 1.5 amps.
My layout will have about about 150 ft of track total total. Would either of these controllers have enough power to operate the layout with out a booster? All I can find is how many locos each system will operate. Not how big of a layout. But I have heard about dcc dropping the signal ?
If not, could I use one controller for the yard/interchange area, and the other for the rest of the layout? Maybe unplug it from one section, walk around and plug into another section ?

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Loren...Although not being familiar with either of those systems,..I don't think you can operate two different DCC systems simultaneously on one layout. I would go with the NCE (has more "juice"), and buy a separate handheld throttle for "walkaround" operations. Sell the B'mann and with the $$'s, buy the NCE throttle... Goldth
The "drop" in voltage can be overcome by providing feeders to the track from the main bus at different locations around the layout. Good luck..!!
Gus (LC&P).
You cannot use two different DCC systems like you can two DC powerpacks from different manufacturers. This is because one "computer" has to be in charge, and to do that, they have to be compatible. So, for example, two Digitrax systems - yes; one Digitrax and one Lenz - probably not... Wink

However, since you "claim" Wink Big Grin to only want to run one or two locos at a time, either system seems like it would be fine, as most new locos draw up to about .5 amp at most (NOTE: your milage may vary). The problem of distributing DCC signals (and power) evenly around the layout can be solved - as noted above - by power bus lines.

Hope that helps,

Andrew
Thanks Gus and Andrew. That's what I needed to know.
I plan on feeders at every three foot track section, so it sounds like I will be OK.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.