Modeling Cliches to Avoid when Building your Layout
Steamtrains Wrote:Self gratification....It goes with the "pleasing" part I mentioned before....

But sinful and slothful combined with other sins such as envy can conspire to ruin a perfectly good hobby. No...there has to be more to it than that.
Icon_lol You are so right Mountain Man! Why do we post so many pictures? I for one, like looking at other's work and look forward to honest critique of mine. There is always something I learn from looking at someone else's work. Even if it's not my scale or era...there's always something interesting to notice (and maybe copy).
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
When I post pics (which is rare these days) it is purely to gather information. There are a lot of people with a great eye who will offer up critique and advice, just as Herc said, and I too like looking at the work of others, if for no other reason than to drool.
When I posted what I said about mountains and major class I roads, I made several references to mainstream publications. Mainstream publications don't seem to publish layout photos unless they are set in the mountains, hence making it seem as though everyone has to have mountains somewhere on there layout. I have nothing against layouts with a mountain setting, quite the contrary, I love seeing them, especially when they are done well. I just want to see more variety in layout themes, especially in the mainstream magazines.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:When I post pics (which is rare these days) it is purely to gather information. There are a lot of people with a great eye who will offer up critique and advice, just as Herc said, and I too like looking at the work of others, if for no other reason than to drool.
When I posted what I said about mountains and major class I roads, I made several references to mainstream publications. Mainstream publications don't seem to publish layout photos unless they are set in the mountains, hence making it seem as though everyone has to have mountains somewhere on there layout. I have nothing against layouts with a mountain setting, quite the contrary, I love seeing them, especially when they are done well. I just want to see more variety in layout themes, especially in the mainstream magazines.

I think the internet has nearly rendered the idea of "mainstream publications" dead. the last publication i picked up was "narrow gauge and shortline gazette", and considering the subject title, you can probably assume it would have a higher mountainous bias. As for the other publications, I don't think I have done much more than thumb through a new issue in 5 years, so I don't know what they put in there now. But from what I remember, featured layouts were frequently appalachian coal haulers, rocky mountain, or dense urban. Rarely did they feature an iowa prairie layout (although I remember seeing a few)
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:
iis612 Wrote:When I post pics (which is rare these days) it is purely to gather information. There are a lot of people with a great eye who will offer up critique and advice, just as Herc said, and I too like looking at the work of others, if for no other reason than to drool.

I think the internet has nearly rendered the idea of "mainstream publications" dead. the last publication i picked up was "narrow gauge and shortline gazette", and considering the subject title, you can probably assume it would have a higher mountainous bias. As for the other publications, I don't think I have done much more than thumb through a new issue in 5 years, so I don't know what they put in there now. But from what I remember, featured layouts were frequently appalachian coal haulers, rocky mountain, or dense urban. Rarely did they feature an iowa prairie layout (although I remember seeing a few)

Since most modelers seem to want to try their hands at scenery, I doubt there are many "Iowa prairie" layouts that could be featured. Modelers usually want to get the most bang for their buck out of a layout, and while it may be highly prototypical, watching a train run across a flat landscape isn't very exciting.

There is a reason why mountainous terrain is the most popular.

As regards your comment about the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, I have lost interest in that publication because they have never included N-scalers.
MountainMan Wrote:As regards your comment about the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, I have lost interest in that publication because they have never included N-scalers.

Perhaps there aren't a great many N-scalers working in narrow gauge. Also, a lot of folks go to N scale because they can fit more layout into a given space, allowing them to model a bigger chunk of railroad - usually mainline stuff as opposed to shortlines.
Don't forget, too, that most magazines rely on articles and photos submitted by their readers. If you see a need, it could be a good opportunity to share your expertise and make some cash, too.

I do agree with your way of thinking on N scale, though: if I were just starting into model railroading, (but somehow still retained the knowledge of it which I've acquired over the last 50 years or so Misngth ), I'd likely opt for a branchline or shortline, with minimal track and equipment, and in N scale. Still, I'm sure I could manage to include a few layout cliches. Goldth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:As regards your comment about the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette, I have lost interest in that publication because they have never included N-scalers.

Perhaps there aren't a great many N-scalers working in narrow gauge. Also, a lot of folks go to N scale because they can fit more layout into a given space, allowing them to model a bigger chunk of railroad - usually mainline stuff as opposed to shortlines.
Don't forget, too, that most magazines rely on articles and photos submitted by their readers. If you see a need, it could be a good opportunity to share your expertise and make some cash, too.

I do agree with your way of thinking on N scale, though: if I were just starting into model railroading, (but somehow still retained the knowledge of it which I've acquired over the last 50 years or so Misngth ), I'd likely opt for a branchline or shortline, with minimal track and equipment, and in N scale. Still, I'm sure I could manage to include a few layout cliches. Goldth

Wayne

I certainly plan to - but I plan to change them at the same time. I will make my mark on the modeling world! Big Grin
MountainMan Wrote:I certainly plan to - but I plan to change them at the same time. I will make my mark on the modeling world! Big Grin

You already have. Your candor alone has made an impression. I am going to venture a guess that your layout would be just as honest as you. This is not a slight, rather a compliment. If you are inclined to post pics, I would stand in line to see them.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:I certainly plan to - but I plan to change them at the same time. I will make my mark on the modeling world! Big Grin

You already have. Your candor alone has made an impression. I am going to venture a guess that your layout would be just as honest as you. This is not a slight, rather a compliment. If you are inclined to post pics, I would stand in line to see them.

Sorry - too much candor is not a good thing. As for "standing in line to see them", I think you are being far too kind.
Quote:Then why do so many of us post pictures and seek the approval of others?

Ohhhh, I just can't resist........

Because a picture is worth a thousand words.................and I type very slowly!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:Then why do so many of us post pictures and seek the approval of others?

Because a picture is worth a thousand words.................and I type very slowly!

Touche`!
MountainMan Wrote:Another "cliche`" is structures that have no reason to be where they are, such as a hotel next to a track in the middle of nowhere, unconnected to any community or activity.

Unless it's the Shady Rest Hotel! Which, was built where it was because the car derailed on a sharp bend and spilled out all the construction materials Icon_lol

One thing that usually catches my eye in layouts is when people put in one of those "puzzle" yards. But, they are fun, so why not!
Quote: Sumpter250 wrote:
Then why do so many of us post pictures and seek the approval of others?

Quote:Mountainman wrote:
Touche`!

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
I woke up this morning, needing a good laugh to put me in the right mood for a beautiful day.....
Thanks! 2285_
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Mainstream publications when i can get them here provide plenty of ideas .......... MR i look forward to every month (if my newsagent hasnt been missed by his supplier) always a month behind you'd think lived down under Icon_lol , i would subsribe gladly if it was shipped in a brown envelope as our postal service staff seem to take a liking to magazines from abroad in a see through polybag Curse

The net has put publications definatley in the shade and great forums such as this are a superb way of sharing work and techniques.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]