Favorite railroad
thanks very much wayne for putting that link in for me. was a great idea.

todd
Favorite railroad, that's a tough one. Mine has changed several times over the years. One of the first was the Erie. And it remained unchallenged for quite awhile, mostly out of lack of knowledge of other roads. I had, of course, seen lots of photos of most all North American roads, but it was the Erie that I related to most because when i looked at Erie photos, I recognized the scenes. I did not grow up within walking distance of any railroads, and my initial interest was only in models trains, this from my 9 year older brother and his collection of Lionel. The nearest railroad line was the NYC's West Shore which I only really checked out once I started driving. It was Penn Central by then. I remember lots of FA's, in NYC, PA and PC schemes, and open auto racks filled with valdalized autos. But when i statrted working in the meadowlands area, it was the induxtrial trackage of the Erie that caught my eye, with train high swamp grass growing on either side of the track. The Erie's Dundee branch is the inspiration for my Garfield branch on the JGL. A scene from Erie power was the inspiration for another scene on my layout. Then I became enamored of the NYS&W, and walked most of it over a period of time, from the Little Ferry shops up to the New York state line. A scene from this road in Butler NJ is on my layout. When i walked it, it's mainline was not what it once was, a flood had taken out a section and the abandoned main of the L&HR was used instaed. So I bought a book on the L&HR and now think it would be a great subject for a model railroad. And I've developed an interest in the Lehigh Valley. I love their paint schemes. So I guess I should just say my favorite railroads are in the North Jersey area!

However, when I was able to start a model railroad, I decided I could not have the discipline to select one road and ignore the others. So I model a freelance line which is comprised of favorite scenes, and runs thru the same territory. I thought I'd also like to model a prototype, and selected the NYC in the Hudson Valley. The valley is beautiful, the NYC steam looks great, and I like the lightning stripe scheme. Again, i would model just select scenes but in this case the emphasis would be on continuous running, not operations per say. As it has turned out, the NYC trackage was layed first and has been operational for many years now, while I built the JGL. But I became so wrapped up in the JGL, I've done nothing with the NYC and at this point it will be years before I return to it. I use its motive power on the JGL till such time I paint and letter more JGL equipment. The JGL diesel scheme, btw, is a simplified EL scheme, see below.

Gary, I've always meant to ask you about the origins of your JGL. As you can see HERE, a John Galt played a prominent part in the history of Southern Ontario. Any connection?

Wayne
Hi Wayne, nope, no connection, but it was an interesting read. There is however a link at the top of the page you linked to which leads to the character John Galt from the novel Atlas Shrugged. This is the John Galt I named my railraod after. The link tells a bit about the novel and John Galt's part in it. I will add that Taggart Transcontinental, mentioned in the link, is a railroad from the novel and that the John Galt Line is a railroad built by Dagny Taggart who had been operating vice president of Taggart, and whom had to resign in order to build the John Galt. Again, the link explains a bit and offers links to other charectors which I did not check but should reveal other aspects of the novel. Easily the most enjoyable read I've enver had and I recommend it to any avid readers out there.
If Atlas Shrugged...what did Bachmann do......????? 357 357 357

Seriously...I'll have to put it on my "To Read" list....
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:If Atlas Shrugged...what did Bachmann do......?????

heh, good one! In addition to the railroad aspect of the novel, it is a great mystery novel as well. and its main theme is right versus wrong.
Honestly, I don't have a favorite RR. That probably sounds crazy, but it's true. I like the technology progression...from steam to diesel to electric. That's what fascinates me more with railroading. Each era has its own reward to model. There's the dramatic brute force of steam that's easy to admire, and there's the transition years with some of the best diesel designs ever, and finally the modern years with its concentration on economical freight movement. It doesn't matter much to me who's line it is or where they travel, the concept of railroading is interesting to me. I can put my N&W J-Class 4-8-4 on the rails and have as much fun watching it as the newest UP SD70ACe. I admire a layout that models the southwest desert as much as the new england country side or northwestern mountains.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)