Northern Models CNR caboose kit.
I am hoping someone may be able to answer some questions about a caboose kit I won on ebay. First off I bid on the kit thinking it was an HO scale kit as it was listed in the HO scale listings. I had never heard of the company and meant to google them before bidding but I forgot and when I did remember the auction had less than 2 minutes to go so I went ahead and bid. I ended up winning it. Big Grin Well the kit showed up today and I was surprised to learn it is an O scale caboose kit. :o Good thing I got it for a very good price.

The kit was sold by Northern Models ( Toronto, Canada ) and was produced by Mullet River Model Works. The kit builds one of four versions of a Canadian National Railways wood caboose. The kit is made up off laser cut and engraved wood parts and etched brass parts for the frame as well as some cast brass details and brass wire. It looks like a very nice kit with loads of detail. it even comes with interior parts.The instruction seem to suggest it was meant to be built as a Proto 48 caboose but does mention what needs to be done to mount standard O scale couplers ect. I do not model in O scale but I am very tempted to build the kit as a display piece due to the fact it is a model of my favorite CNR caboose type and also because of all the great detail.

Has anyone here ever built one of these kits? I am asking because my kit came with two sets of etched brass frame parts. One set has dimples etched in them so the builder can punch rivet detail and the other set does not. The funny thing is there are two complete set of steps, end plateforms, ladders and a few other parts that are identical. Does anyone know whey there are to sets of brass frame parts and end details included? There is also two sets of wooden unframe parts included which are identical to each other as well. Other than the above listed sets of duplicate parts the kit is complete and has all the other require parts to build one of four versions of a CNR wood caboose ( well except for trucks and couplers as they are supplied by the builder it seems ).

I have attached a picture of the kit. I would be very gratefull for any info anyone may be able to provide about this kit.

Wayne Reid

Wayne,

Looks like a great kit. CNR wood cabooses are among my favourite too.

Can't specifically answer your questions, but there could be a few reasons why there are duplicates.

1) They aren't actually duplicates, but subtly different versions to account for the various models the kit builds.

2) They are intended to be laminated together or otherwise built up to create structural members. I know this is fairly common with laser cut kits - not so sure about brass.

3) They are in fact duplicates from another kit, perhaps a mistake on the part of the seller?

You could always add narrow gauge trucks and run it on your HO layout..! Just pretend it's from Newfoundland, where CN operated on narrow gauge until Mulroney pulled the plug... Sad

Andrew
From all appearances, this is a great kit. It is all inclusive except the trucks and couplers. If you are building a shelf model, you may consider using P48 trucks. As I am sure you are aware, O scale has a gauge of 5 feet, not the 4' 8.5" which is correct. This kit and the CPR equivalent was commissioned by a P48 modeller named David Nadeau who is a member of Aberfoyle Junction. Kudos to David as they are excellent kits. Be aware that the cupola on the early CPR kits are done for western CPR cabooses in that the cupola windows are not diagonally opposed.

I am an S scaler and have built 3 of the S scale versions of the CPR caboose kit. I believe that it is quite necessary to use a resistance soldering unit to build the brass underframes. However, I may be wrong. The S scale kits used the O scale instructions and some of the key dimensions were way off.

I have the O scale kits which I will build for display using P 48 trucks. I have not attempted the O scale kits so I am not sure if there are problems there or not.

You can take or leave this advice, make sure that you read the instructions and understand them FULLY before you build. Paint all wood parts before assembly. Leave the decalling to before you install the glazing for the windows and final assembly. You may find that you have a better approach to the kit once you understand the nuances.

cheers,

Andy Malette
M.L.W. Services
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mlwservices.ca">http://www.mlwservices.ca</a><!-- m -->