TORN BETWEEN TWO
Well guys need some input? I'm looking at going DCC and have it narrowed down to to units, I'm torn between the NCE power cab and the Super Chief by Digitraxx. Give me some input on what yall think?

N scale layout about 13x13'
No more than 4 running trains at once.
Mostly an industrail swithing layout.
Thanks foryour input. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Wallbang
These videos by Joe Fugate should help you decide. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/mrht_dcc-good-bad-ugly">http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/mrht ... d-bad-ugly</a><!-- m -->
Have you ever used either one of these units? Sometimes it is a mater of personal preference, how the hand held throtttle fits into your hand.
The NCE Power Cab is more user friendly (IMO). Reads on the display in laymans terms. Easy to use. It does have power limits, only a 2 amp system.
The digitrax units are a little more complex when they display on the read out what you are looking at. Sort of a code.
If you have the chance, find a LHS to demo each one.
Then there is the $$ differance. A Power Cab you can find for $150.00 or a little less. The Digitrax Super Chief will run you in the $350.00 or better range.
Plus you will have to get a power supply which runs about $40.00. This will get you have 5 amp system though.
With the size of your layout and the number of trains you want to run I would think the Power Cab will work just fine. You can run two trains from the same throttle. You must toggle to do this. Also you can get a second cab ( throttle) for a second user if you would like. About $100.00 for a CAB04e.
I'd go for the Power Cab based on your requirements. Sounds like the Super Chief is a bit of overkill for the type of layout you want to run. On the other hand there is always the possibility that you may expand your empire and the S.C. will be more then up to the task at hand. The Power Cab can be upgraded using a 3 amp Smart Booster, however the Booster has been discontinued apparently because it did not get along with Auto Reversing units and a couple of other bits that people might use on their layouts. NCE is currently re-vamping the SB into the 3 amp Smart Booster "Alpha" but there is currently no release date. I will be getting one of these when it comes out as I have some concerns regarding my power requirements since eventually all my switch machines and stationary decoders will be running off the DCC Buss. Plus I want to run at least two cab throttles. My USB adapter prohibits a second cab unless I up the Amps. Then again, I may bite the bullet and get the 5 amp Pro Cab, however its an expensive option as opposed to just getting the S.B.a.

There is also the option of getting the Power Cab and using it as a throttle if say in the future should you choose to upgrade to a larger NCE system like the Pro Cab 5 or 10 Amp systems. If I'm not mistaken you can use the Power Cab as throttle with other systems as well, as long as you program it with an appropriate address. Don't quote me on that last bit though.

Be aware that not all systems come with a Power Supply included in their price, which makes no sense at all to me. So you may have to purchase the correct power supply for 30-40 bucks in order to get your system working. The Power Cab comes with everything you need. The S.C. does not.

My 2 cents, your choices.
Thanks for all the input guys, after many hours of reading and headackes I've ordered the NCE powercab. Now comes the fun of converting all those engines.

Thanks again