Put the motors in full series and advance to first notch
Let me start the traction forum with some pictures of my models.
Apologies that I don't have a traction layout at this time.

Attached Files Image(s)

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Some more cars. All of these over 30 years old.

Attached Files Image(s)

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thumbsup Thumbsup

Anyone know where to find info on an obscure traction railroad Called the Scioto Valley Traction Company really looking for pics of rolling stock and buildings. All I know at this point it ran from Circleville to Obetz, Columbus and east to Canal Whinchester.

Have the plastic half of an avon bottle that was a trolley it is close to O gauge width and would make a nice kitbashed project just have to find a motorised truck and build a bottom half 8-)
This would be a good starting point:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.columbusrailroads.com/SVT.htm">http://www.columbusrailroads.com/SVT.htm</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
Thanks Charlie that is a good site, I believe the Ohio historical society has some more pics of equipment that can be photo copied for a small fee. From the pics on this site they were big cars not the commonly modeled shorter trolleys. May be a future modeling project down the road 2285_
Back in the late fifties, early sixties, Bill Clouser ran some articles in MR on trolleys, and interurban railroading.

Overhead wire.....now there's something I wouldn't touch without a ten foot pole! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Very nice. Thanks for getting the traction forum going.

From time to time, I enjoy looking at Labelle's offerings. I plan to build a Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek or a Lima Route car at some point.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Anyone know of an online source of pics and or articles on the Crooked Mountain lines I had an old book with this model railroad in it lots of traction cars in rugged terrain.
There were a number of articles on the Crooked Mountain Lines and building some of the motive power in Model Railroader magazine starting in the 1950's. Go to the Kalmbach site and search the article index, you should turn up something there. The railroad was originally built in HO but he later converted to O scale if I remember correctly.

Greg Melby
Seattle, WA.
Sumpter250 Wrote:Overhead wire.....now there's something I wouldn't touch without a ten foot pole! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've worked on LIVE overhead at the Illinois Railroad Museum and did so without a 10 foot pole, the trick is to not be grounded while doing so because 600 volts DC can ruin your day otherwise! Eek
Trolleyfan Wrote:I've worked on LIVE overhead at the Illinois Railroad Museum and did so without a 10 foot pole, the trick is to not be grounded while doing so because 600 volts DC can ruin your day otherwise! Eek

And if you were grounded, you don't actually have to be touching the wires to be electrocuted...but 600 V can't jump too far since it is still relatively low voltage...and it has less frying power than lower voltages.

That would be pretty cool to work on the juice up there. If I lived near such a place, I'd be involved...especially if they had a Barney & Smith motor.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Trolleyfan Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Overhead wire.....now there's something I wouldn't touch without a ten foot pole! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've worked on LIVE overhead at the Illinois Railroad Museum and did so without a 10 foot pole, the trick is to not be grounded while doing so because 600 volts DC can ruin your day otherwise! Eek

2285_ 2285_ I was actually referring to modeling overhead wire in HO scale, but, zzzzzt.....zzzaaaap ......I do get the message Big Grin Big Grin

Trolleyfan, Was that you I talking to, at the IRM yesterday?(Saturday, Sep. 5) about outside third rail on the Long Island?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
No, that wasn't me, I haven't been to IRM since 1999 which was just before I moved to Seattle. I do want to get back there so I can measure CNS&M #604 (a linecar) so I can build another model of it. The last model I built didn't survive the house fire I had in 1996. It and most of my scratchbuilt models were destroyed when the display case they were in burned off the wall. If the fire had happened just a few weeks later all of those models would have been in the detached garage that I was just finishing remodeling into a workshop/layout building and would have escaped destruction.
Trolleyfan Wrote:No, that wasn't me, I haven't been to IRM since 1999 which was just before I moved to Seattle.

Just thought I'd ask. There was a gentleman there who seemed to know a whole lot about things third rail, and overhead wire. (then again, I guess there are a number there who know a lot about the subject)