Tar paper roofing.
Hi guys,

I know a few of you fine gents have some neat and interesting ways to make tar paper roofs for our models. I was wondering if some of you would mind sharing your techniques here? One of my personal faves was the use of tissue paper applied with diluted glue and dyed with India ink I think it was or something like that?

I would be cool to have the various techniques all buttoned up into one thread.

Thanks!

Goldth
1) Tissue paper (the wrapping kind, not the Kleenex kind) cut to appropriate width and laid directly in lots of black paint. No glue, very little additional touchup required. Seams can be done with a Sharpie, or a glue syringe filled with more black paint. Use the craft type acrylic - good thickness to it.

2) Masking tape cut and applied, then painted black. Most masking tape has "oversized texture", but it can look good.

Andrew
like Andrew said, the tissue paper i prefer is pattern paper from wifes sew patterns, i have also used used fabric softener sheets there tough and impart a lot of texture . washed well to remove any traces of softener from them .
jim
Masking tape sprayed with flat black paint. Then cut to two scale foot width. I then outline with a darker black. Little pieces cut at different sizes and placed at different angle look like patches.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I have used masking tape and the kleenex type of tissue paper. I will try to post pictures of both. Does anyone know the history of "tar paper" or other roofing materials?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
This same topic was discussed over on the MR Forum a few days ago. While tarpaper has been used for finished roofs, what you're thinking of is more likely something known as roll roofing. This product is similar in appearance to regular asphalt shingles, with a backing of tar-impregnated felt topped with granite granules. It's generally used on low-slope roofs and is available in several colours, mostly black, red, green, and sometimes blue. I believe that it comes in 3' wide rolls.
Another material sometimes used for finished roofing is roofing felt, which is similar to roll roofing but without the granules. Both tarpaper and roofing felt are intended as underlays for shingles, whether they be regular asphalt ones, or cedar, or slate, and generally do not stand-up well when exposed directly to the weather.

To represent roll roofing on a foreground model, very fine sandpaper (800 grit or finer in HO) could be applied using contact cement, although your colour choices would be fairly limited. Wet/dry sandpaper would work best, as it's fairly thin and the weathered black appearance would be suitable unpainted, allowing the slight "sparkle" of the granules to catch the eye under certain lighting conditions.

I've simulated roll roofing using .005" sheet styrene:
[album]1232[/album]

[album]1468[/album]

Or with paint on plain styrene roofs:
[album]672[/album]

[album]527[/album]

[album]530[/album]

[album]1471[/album]

Wayne