Photo quality
Thanks again for the replies.That article was helpful.
Mike-as I stated in previous posts I have been experimenting with various settings other than auto.I have been reading the users manual and I feel that this is going to be a matter of trial and error until I find something that works. Bob Goldth
foulrift Wrote:Thanks again for the replies.That article was helpful.
Mike-as I stated in previous posts I have been experimenting with various settings other than auto.I have been reading the users manual and I feel that this is going to be a matter of trial and error until I find something that works. Bob Goldth

If you haven't already done it, you might pick yourself up a book on the basics of photography also. Thumbsup
Mike
Thanks Mike-It's worth looking into.One thing I may have to live with is the fact that while going through the various options there is only so much I can do with this camera.Here is another test shot that I took last night.I think it came out the best so far.Bob
[Image: Trains010.jpg]
OK, not sure how many of these you've tried, but if I were shooting your layout with this camera, I would:

1) select 100 iso,
3) choose "best" picture quality,
2) select close-up (macro) mode (the little flower icon),
3) use a tripod and existing light, don't use the flash,
4) use the self-timer, because just pressing the shutter button can jiggle the camera,
5) bring in as much additional light as you can - worklights, lamps, whatever.

Try that and see how things turn out.

This camera really isn't all that and a bag of chips. It's about as simple a point-and-shoot as you can get.

What is better in a camera for shooting MRR subjects is some degree of manual control. Ideally you want to be able to control the aperture, either directly or by forcing a slow shutter speed.
Thanks squidbait-About the only thing I have not figured out yet is changing iso setting.The last picture I took was taken in close-up mode. Can't remember if I used flash or nor but I like the results.
Bob, Hi ! Just an observation - from the 3 pics posted, am guessing you are "fooling" the auto-focus. The first two, the point of best resolution seems to be behind your subject, probably where the center of the shot is. This will contribute to "graininess" in the thing you want to show off. Also, the "depth of focus" - the distance from closest to the furthest well focused objects - seems very short, due to the aperture being wide open. If, at a given light level, you allow a longer exposure time, the aperture will close down and INCREASE your depth-of-focus ( usually desired for model photos), making the visual depth more like 1:1 images. The third example has lots of light, (lots of light colored material) so the aperture is SMALLER, and a good target in the proper distance range for the Auto-Focus to measure from, and less depth in the subject from near to far, so the results look much better. I'm not up on photography any more - still using FILM - but the basic principles still apply for some stuff, I think. Hope this helps, rather than make you go to Stamp Collecting ! Some of the other folks here may be MORE helpful than I - hope they find you !! Bob C. :geek:
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
I want to thank all those that replied to this thread.I appreciate the help and advice that has been given. I will admit that this has gotten to be rather frustrating for me trying to understand all the ins and outs of picture taking .I think the best thing I can do right now is to put the camera away for a short while and get a book on photography out of the library and then try again.
Thanks again for all the help. Bob