When was your last Athearn kit?
Based on the discussion, I don't think it is relevant, but Silver Streak offered a fishbelly reefer (can't recall if they were wood or steel).
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
I have to have at least 50 unbuilt, and with a week, I might be able to count the ones that are built. A 40' flat car kit was used for the last kitbash(a year ago), a depressed center car for delivering a 42' cabin cruiser (also kitbashed from an Athearn boat).
Prior to that, about twentyfive Athearn (along with fifteen Accurail) wood reefers, for a train for my Athearn Clinchfield Challenger to pull. The Atheran cars had to all be renumbered.
I still have a ton of BB kits designated for specific kitbash projects.

Wayne, I have a Merchants Despatch Reefer that was a wood kit. Seeing yours, I now have to figure out where mine is. I suspect it's in one of the "multipack" boxes I build for ease of transport.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Wayne, I have a Merchants Despatch Reefer that was a wood kit. Seeing yours, I now have to figure out where mine is. I suspect it's in one of the "multipack" boxes I build for ease of transport.

I know what you mean about stuff "going missing". Because I buy lots of used rolling stock with no boxes, and also scratchbuild a few cars, I'm always scrounging for boxes to use in my "staging yard storage area"
[album]372[/album]

Most gondolas, and flatcars, along with some hoppers are stored two-to-a-box, while the majority of hoppers are four-to-a-box, using Athearn passenger car boxes. Not too much is in its original box, either. Locos (rarely stored), passenger cars, and MoW equipment is all stored in custom-built trays in covered fruit boxes like the Mountain Goat pear boxes seen beneath the layout here:
[album]369[/album]

Too bad I'm not modelling Great Northern. Wink Misngth

Wayne
Do the boxes get marked with what is in them before you put them away, Wayne? I could see where having a bunch of boxes stored under the layout without having them labeled would create confusion. Of course it might make for an interesting operating session. Just pull out a bunch of random boxes and find places to send whatever cars are in the boxes.
The boxes are all labelled, Russ, usually on masking tape, and they're "sorta" sorted as to roadnames/regions. However, when I'm looking for, for instance, a particular Athearn 50' car, I don't always recall whether it's in its original box or in a Proto or Walthers box, which are a better fit for longer cars. With the empty boxes (upside-down) for the cars currently on the layout mixed in with the full boxes, it can be fun trying to locate a specific car (or the empty box for a car coming off the layout). 35

Once I complete the 60 or-so kits/rebuilds still sitting in my workshop, I'll be able to better organise the shelves, and will probably label the shelves themselves with the appropriate roadnames.

Wayne