TV's "Monk" and hidden BNSF logos
For those of you who are familiar with the USA network's show "Monk" about the detective with OCD, the recently run two part final episode included a scene in which a suspect was being chased through a freight yard. The locos and many of the cars were obviously BNSF equipment but every swoosh logo was covered with just enough graffiti to cover the letters BNSF. The one exception was a front end shot of a loco that read "BVSE". I don't know if coverage was actually applied to the equipment or i it was somehow photoshopped into the scene. The consistent efforts to cover the company logo made me wonder if it was the railroad's policy or if the TV network didn't want to offer free advertising for the railroad.

Any thoughts?

Ralph
I have wondered about that. Sometimes when I watch a home improvement show, such as "this old house" they will cover up the brand name of the product they are using with electrical tape, or be careful not to show the part of the tool that shows the brand name. I have assumed it is because the manufacturer of that product is not a sponsor of the show, and other sponsors do not want their competitors' logos to be aired. Or, perhaps it is the producers of the show trying to encourage more sponsors (if you sponsor us, your logo could be seen here). I also remember during drama or sitcom tv shows, characters would be drinking from pepsi cans that would simply say "cola".
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Product placement.
They actual have people that work on shows and movies that do nothing but place brand name products in the right places to get in the shot. These are usually paid for by the maker of the product for a small fee. Sometimes, the maker of the product will pay for a "subliminal" shot, for a partial fee to having the full name of their products showcased in a scene. Thats why you see soda cans marked "Cola", but that are obviously a Pepsi or Diet Coke can.

As far as the scene with the BNSF, I'm sure the producers went to BNSF asn said they would like to film in one of thier yards, and for a fee, we would keep all your markings intact. The railroad probably said "No Thanks", so all their markings, either had to be changed, or covered in some manner. Thats probably why BNSF, became BNVF. I don't know why, the only ones who would probably get excited would be us Modelers and Railfans.

There is a funny back story to the filming of ET. Spielburg went to Mars and told him that he wanted to use their Mars bar in the movie. They flat refused. When Reces heard of this, they contacted Spielburg and told him that they were going to release a new candy called Reces Pieces, and that he could use them in the movie. The rest is history.
I've always wondered if the guy that refused Spielburg still worked at Mars after that...........

I also imagine this scene at a big publishing house tha refused J.K. Rowling's book. Some young exec in a meeting room.
"I just finished reading a manuscript about a kid that goes to a school for wizardry....."
"Nope...Not our style"

Ooops
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
My wife was watching that episode and I walked into the room during that scene. I noticed the lettering too. My wife, not a model railroader and not into real trains, said immediately "the shot just before the train hit him, the tracks looked all dilapidated" The shot she was referencing was a look down the center of a set of rails which looked like they would have a 5 mph limit, and was presumably thru the eyes of the suspect. The cop calls out to him, he turns and gets smacked by a speeding train!
Apparently, Warren Buffet did not "feel the need", since fans of Monk are not big rail shippers, or perhaps he just doesn't like the entire concept of an OCD "detective". It's interesting that BNSF is very recognizable anyway, negating the need for "product placement".
My wife TIVO'd that so I guess now I'll go in and see what your talking about!
jglfan Wrote:My wife was watching that episode and I walked into the room during that scene. I noticed the lettering too. My wife, not a model railroader and not into real trains, said immediately "the shot just before the train hit him, the tracks looked all dilapidated" The shot she was referencing was a look down the center of a set of rails which looked like they would have a 5 mph limit, and was presumably thru the eyes of the suspect. The cop calls out to him, he turns and gets smacked by a speeding train!

You're right, the tracks were definitely in rough shape but the loco that hit the suspect came fast out of nowhere! Smile

MountainMan Wrote:It's interesting that BNSF is very recognizable anyway, negating the need for "product placement".

Right, part of the so called "swoosh" was visible and the locomotives were either former SF blue and yellow or else the current BNSF pumpkin. Anyone vaguely familiar with the road would recognise it.

Ralph
The last 4 or 5 years before I retired I did work on Carrier-Transicold refrigeration units that were used on BNSF, U.P., and Amtrak Express Trak reefers. I also repaired some cab air conditioning units on mow equipment. The BNSF was far and away the most safety conscious of the three companies. It may be that the BNSF did not want the company name connected with someone being run over by a train even in fiction.
You would not believe what will set off the attention of "Operation Lifesaver". Most class ones, and Amtrak will not work with movie makers because of this, and the smaller roads will only do it if their identity is completely hidden. The money the film makes pay is good, and that gets the attention of some of the cash poor roads.
I haven't seen the show, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't done on BNSF.
Railcop has some experience with film makers vs railroads, maybe he can relate his experiences.
Charlie
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Product placement.
They actual have people that work on shows and movies that do nothing but place brand name products in the right places to get in the shot. These are usually paid for by the maker of the product for a small fee. Sometimes, the maker of the product will pay for a "subliminal" shot, for a partial fee to having the full name of their products showcased in a scene. Thats why you see soda cans marked "Cola", but that are obviously a Pepsi or Diet Coke can.

As far as the scene with the BNSF, I'm sure the producers went to BNSF asn said they would like to film in one of thier yards, and for a fee, we would keep all your markings intact. The railroad probably said "No Thanks", so all their markings, either had to be changed, or covered in some manner. Thats probably why BNSF, became BNVF. I don't know why, the only ones who would probably get excited would be us Modelers and Railfans.

There is a funny back story to the filming of ET. Spielburg went to Mars and told him that he wanted to use their Mars bar in the movie. They flat refused. When Reces heard of this, they contacted Spielburg and told him that they were going to release a new candy called Reces Pieces, and that he could use them in the movie. The rest is history.
I've always wondered if the guy that refused Spielburg still worked at Mars after that...........

I also imagine this scene at a big publishing house tha refused J.K. Rowling's book. Some young exec in a meeting room.
"I just finished reading a manuscript about a kid that goes to a school for wizardry....."
"Nope...Not our style"

Ooops
............. And think of all the Record companies that turned away recording artists only to have them make millions with another company. Taylor Swift is the latest to do this.

Movies too... Lucas "Hit the bricks" with a few studios before Universal thought that THX 1138 was good enough to produce, which led to Warner Brothers doing American Graffiti but neither company wanted anything to do with Star Wars ...so 20th century Fox finally agreed, after George lucas funded it with his own money.....

Same thing though - you have to wonder if the original decision makers were still working there after the movies were a hit Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I would have to suspect the money was good enough to allow the movie/TV show to use the property & equipment but whatever railroad was involved did not want to be directly associated with the show. It's a question of image. Unless the show is EXTREMELY favorable to the railroad involved the names are usually changed to protect the not so innocent.

At this moment a new movie titled UNSTOPPABLE is being filmed in the western PA, eastern OH area. The story is loosely based on the run away train on CSX several years ago in mid Ohio (Findleyville, OH, area). The fictitious railroad in the movie is the ALLEGHENY & WEST VIRGINIA RR. But, since it shows CSX in a poor light CSX refused to cooperated in any way in moving the prop train from one location to another. As a result one SD-40-2 and about a dozen cars (box, hopper, etc) had to be moved five miles by TRUCK for the next phase of filming. What a fiasco! But Hollywood spares no expense and paid out big bucks to move the equipment over the road.
I agree with Russ. NOTHING that might put them in a bad light.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"