New loco...Decoder issues
I just got me a Bachmann 2-8-4 with DCC installed. This is the first loco I buy with factory-installed decoder, so I'm kind of hesitant to mess too much with the CV's. I presume it's a NCE-like decoder, but I could be wrong.... I've set CV's 2, 3 and 4 to values that make it start & stop quite nicely. But I've got a couple of questions.
For starters, the loco seems to respond much faster going forward than in reverse. This is kinda' strange, since all my other locos behave exactly the opposite (a wee-bit faster in reverse than forward), but by a very little difference. On this loco, it's like 2 or 3 times as long to respond... Nope
Also, since the decoder can only be programmed in OPS mode, I'm a bit hesitant to change the default address (3), to the number it should be (22, in this case). Also, can this decoder be reset to its default settings by entering 8 to CV #8..??
Since all my other decoders are D'trax I don't feel too comfortable messin' around with this one. Any help y'all can give will be much appreciated....
Gus (LC&P).
My first question is: Do you have the manual for the decoder with a list and explanation ov the CVs?

And if you don't, can you go online and download the manual?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I'm afraid I really can't help with the response issue, however I'll be watching this thread to get more tips. 35

What type of system are you using? On my NCE Cab there is a Momentum button, which I can program a value of 1-9 that makes the loco start slowly and build up its speed. Likewise, it takes lomger for it to slow down when you throttle back. I doubt this helps, however I am pretty sure the cab is manipulating a CV without looking at the manual... 35

As for the address, you shouldn't have to worry about programming it to the loco number you want. If the loco's number is 22 then you should be able to program it with that number using the short address. If the loco's number was 2222 you could then just use the long address function.
I'm using a D'trax Zephyr to run the layout, and all my decoders are D'trax. The loco did not come with a decoder manual. The only reference to the decoder is to the danger of cutting out some capacitors to make it "compatible" with some decoders. I remember doing that to my first DCC-converted loco (Bachmann as well). There is also the reference to programming it in OPS mode. That's it. I might have to pop it open to check out what decoder is in there, and try to locate the manual on line. Or, better yet, put a D'trax decoder in there.... 357
Gus (LC&P).
Have you gone to the Bachman website and looked for a downloadable manual? I have a P2K loco with factory sound. The enclosed documentation only mentioned the sound CVs. I had to go to their website to get the full manual so I would know exactly what each CV did.

Your decoder may have a "trim" CV so that adjustments can be made between forward and reverse.... need the manual to know for sure.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I'll check this out in the B'mann forum. Thanks for the lead..... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).