A Christmas article
As some of you know, I write an article every month for a newspaper in Cincinnati, Ohio titled, "Out Arizona Way". They are, as you may have guessed, all about life in Arizona as I have experienced it. I've never been to Cincinnati, but I made friends with its publisher a number of years ago and have been writing these articles over eight years now. Usually, my December article is about Christmas and the holiday. Here's the one I wrote for last year, and yes, it does have a train theme to it.

Quote:
OUT ARIZONA WAY: By Don Day
Trains and the holidays
Railroading and the holidays seem to go together regardless of where you are. Some of you may not know this, but I’m somewhat of a railroad buff having admired anything railroad since I was a kid. I didn’t get into model railroading until after I “retired,” there was just not enough time to allow myself a hobby before then. I remember when train stations were brimming with holiday travelers. Some were heading home to be with family, some just barreling out of town for a respite from the hustle and bustle of the season. Surely though, this was also the time for anyone with a train set to pull it out and set it up under the Christmas tree. I grew up in New Jersey and I remember getting the price of bus fare to head downtown to see the trains running in the department store windows. Gone were the mannequins wearing the latest fall or winter fashions, now they were decorated with animated figures, usually it was Santa surrounded by snow-clad scenery, sleds, bikes, gift packages under trees and a train in just about every window. We’d head upstairs to the huge, almost full-story toy department and sure enough, there was another Lionel train running with just about every accessory possible. Miniature people and things that did something, like the conductor that would pop out of the little house with a lit lantern every time the train passed by. We’d strain our necks to see the logs that would load when a freight train stopped to pick them up, what a delight for a young boy. I imagine there were many an adult mesmerized by the trains as they circled around billowing smoke out their stack and blowing their whistles. Yeah, I remember having to squeeze between these looming figures on my tiptoes, just to get a glimpse of all that action.

All that was great to help create the holiday spirit, but the practical matter is, that it’s all there to sell stuff, toys for sure, including train sets. Usually these sets were presents, sitting unused for the rest of the year, until the Christmas tree was put up once again and then the tracks were placed around it. Sometimes kids, with their parent’s help, had a train layout in the basement or attic; these too would wind up around the tree just because that’s what you do at Christmastime. I model the very small N scale; in recent years though, I’ve been putting my one and only much larger G scale train under the tree. It’s easier to get things back on the tracks when our grown boys or our grandchildren cause a derailment.

Well, here in Arizona, we don’t have those huge department stores with all those windows facing busy streets, what we have are the malls. If we’re lucky, some model railroad club will be granted some precious space around the mall or inside a store to set up their display. Usually though, it isn’t one specifically for Christmas, or at best, anything like what I was used to when I was growing up. No, if it were even close, you’d find me hanging around the malls jumping up and down to look over shoulders, just to renew those old memories.

There’s much more to do train-wise around the holiday here other than setting up you trains, or ogling someone else’s. How about a full-size adventure? Head up north where the Grand Canyon Railroad normally takes riders between Williams and the Canyon. However, they change routes in December and some of their trains head right to the North Pole. Yep, you can enjoy and evening ride on their “Polar Express” which includes a stop to be greeted by Santa, along with sleighs, elves and snow. There’s plenty of hot chocolate and cookies on the way as someone reads the Polar Express story. Each child receives a silver bell as they board the train, and trying to be true to the story, they are encouraged to wear their pajamas.

Christmas is all about creating memories; we all have them. Some of the kids of today will remember riding the Polar Express to the North Pole; those of the future may have an entirely different memory to share. My memories go back to those Christmas window displays, the trains and all that attention to those fascinating details. Whatever you fondest Christmas memories are, they need to be cherished and shared, for the new ones may not always bring the same satisfaction.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It's 52 here this morning. The expected high is 55 and it'll be partly cloudy.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Don, what a neat story!! I was raised in Iowa, and I had the pleasure of looking into the store windows, too. And the toyland trains were always my favorite place!! Too bad we can't somehow repeat those fascinating scenes for our children and grandchildren to enjoy!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Running Bear Wrote:It's 52 here this morning. The expected high is 55 and it'll be partly cloudy.
Ya but Jeffrey isn't the article kinda neat too Cheers , just kidding Jeffrey. I only wish it was 55 F here, -11 c and snowing like the dickens. 2285_
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Good job - loved it Thumbsup
Don,Your article brings back memories from when I was a kid.

F&R Lazarus was one of the largest department stores in downtown Columbus..Every year they would sit up a animated display in the largest display window.It always feature a Lionel train..Up on the toy floor there would be another operating Lionel display with all the newest offerings from Lionel.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thank you all. I usually write about what's going on here in Arizona and what it's like living here. This kinda touches on that, but when I started writing it, I began to regress to the days when I was growing up, and I realized how great things where for me back then and how very different things are for the kids that are growing up today. We all have our fond memories of what it was like, I hope they will have some to remember as well...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Brakie Wrote:Don,Your article brings back memories from when I was a kid.

F&R Lazarus was one of the largest department stores in downtown Columbus..Every year they would sit up a animated display in the largest display window.It always feature a Lionel train..Up on the toy floor there would be another operating Lionel display with all the newest offerings from Lionel.
yeah, we had our Bamberger's in Newark. I think they were taken over by Macy's quite some time ago. I'm not even sure that people go there to shop like they used to anymore, just like all the major downtown stores in Phoenix are all go, migrating to the gigantic malls all over the city... I guess that's not all that bad, getting a parking spot in downtown anywhere has to be a real chore anyway.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and