Empire Coal Corp. - Kitbash
2-8-2 Wrote:as opposed to someone like me, who has no idea what they're doing!

Looks like you are getting an idea of what you are doing rather quickly! You're making great progress and the structure looks good.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:
2-8-2 Wrote:as opposed to someone like me, who has no idea what they're doing!

Looks like you are getting an idea of what you are doing rather quickly! You're making great progress and the structure looks good.

Cheers with Gary. By the time you're done with this build, you'll neither need nor be able to use that excuse. Wink Goldth Goldth

Wayne
Paint is on.

However, I need some help in disguising the mess I've made. I thought I could cover up some of my scribed line mistakes by putting some additional siding over the top of them that would look like patched panels. It didn't work very well. After peeling the pieces off, I had some glue to clean up. In a couple areas, I was able to remove the glue no problem...but in others, not so much.

Here are my problem areas:

[Image: ECC-6.png]

[Image: ECC-7.png]
Tony
You might press a patch of very thin aluminum foil (from the kitchen to wrap food) firmly on corrugated sheet to get a corrugated patch and glue that over the damaged spots. That should look like a patch of corrugated sheet.
Reinhard
Or perhaps there's enough of that "scrap" left over to make a replacement panel: cut the damaged section out of the building, then cement the new piece in place.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Or perhaps there's enough of that "scrap" left over to make a replacement panel: cut the damaged section out of the building, then cement the new piece in place.

Thanks for that, Wayne. I thought the same thing, but wasn't sure if I should go about disassembling sections of the model. I just replaced on of the bad sections with some of my scrap, and from what I can tell, it will be a seamless fix.
Tony
What about scribing the lines back through those areas with a hobby knife, small file, a gouger, or something? And then when you paint and weather, it'll hardly be noticeable.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Here I have replaced one of the bad sections. This one was a bit tricky since it included a couple windows, but after some paint, it will hardly be noticeable.

[Image: ECC-8.png]
Tony
You can always hide things under signs. vents/fans, electrical boxes, pipes/conduits, etc, etc, etc...I do that alot...
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Just a thought:

When a "mistake" is made,( and I certainly make my share of them ) there is damage.
OK so the "mistake" is a scribe line, that was not needed.....so, what could have caused that "blemish" to the prototype structure?, and what "repairs" would have been economically justified?, and.....this is the good part......how can I replicate those "economically justified repairs"?
Call it hiding your mistakes in plain sight, if you'd like, but it's an opportunity to add a bit of "extra detail".

I use a product called Apoxie Sculpt, a 50/50 mix putty, that sands smooth. Squadron putty, thinned in place with a fine brush, and some Testors liquid cement, could also be used to fill the scribe line, at least to the point where it won't be immediately noticeable, when sanded and painted. The end result could then be "detailed" with some running rust, streaked down from the "damage", in the more noticeable areas.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I agree with Drew, a conduit of some sort would work well for hiding the scribe lines. Also, a walkway attached to the building might also be a clever way of hiding the lines too. Or even a small awning made of corrugated metal would work too. Typically I use downspouts to hide my seems or pieces of plastruct as architectural elements.

It looks like a nice kitbash regardless! Thumbsup

- Dan
Tony - nice work fixing the blemish. IMO, some mistakes can be, as has been alluded to above, opportunities for a unique touch of detail. But then again some mistakes are just that and have to be fixed. Deciding which is which is part fo the fun of this hobby.

N scale is so small! :geek: But what a cool kitbash, and I think you're doing a bang-up, first rate job. Thanks for sharing your progress. Looking forward to more.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Here is Empire Coal after several beatings with an india ink wash. After this has had some time to dry, I'll begin applying the Bar Mills weathering powders:

[Image: ECC-9.png]
Tony
Now THAT is beginning to look like a coal mine!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Excellent job tony on the wash to make it real dirty!! It is looking awesome! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World