"Emperor of the North" questions
I wasn't sure where to post this, and a moderator may wish to move it, but here goes:

One of my favorite train movies is "Emperor of the North" and I just bought a DVD and watched it again. 2285_

Anyway, watching it carefully, I have a few questions:

1) One scene shows the hobos picking a lock to set a turnout to divert Shack's train as it leaves the yard. Did they really use locks to keep a turnout in one position? Wouldn't ALL the locks on a railroad have to use the SAME key??

2) In the scene where Shack's train ducks off into a siding just BARELY avoiding a collision with the oncoming train ( a classic scene!) HOW did the turnout get set to divert his train off to the right? Also, did the oncoming train just push the turnout back to a straight position? Wouldn't this have caused a derailment or am I confusing the real world with model railroading?

3) Another scene shows Lee Marvin ("A#1") being beaten with a chain by Shack. He reaches down and pulls a pin or something and uncouples all the cars behind the car that he was on while the train was still in motion. Was this really possible?

4) Towards the end of the film, Lee Marvin and "Cigaret" are riding along underneath a car. Shack is attempting to dislodge them using a rope and a heavy metal bar bouncing up and hitting them as they ride. Lee Marvin pushes something with his foot and causes the entire train to come to a screeching halt. What was it? Was this possible?

5) I noticed one of the boxcars on Shack's train was yellow and might have had "Green Bay and Western" lettering on it. Is this correct? Because if it is, then my "Yard Boss" train set has one of those boxcars! Goldth Thumbsup Cheers

All best, and thanks,
Joe
"I've got my facts pretty clear . . . all I want now is to know what they all mean."
Most railroads only use one switch key. So that scene is possible.
Charlie
Ok..Maybe this will help.

1) One scene shows the hobos picking a lock to set a turnout to divert Shack's train as it leaves the yard. Did they really use locks to keep a turnout in one position? Wouldn't ALL the locks on a railroad have to use the SAME key??
------------------------
Yes,All switches on the main line is either locked by a switch lock or electronically locked by the dispatcher..However,these switches can be unlockd and throw by hand with proper authority from the dispatcher.One key fits all switch locks.
----------------------
2) In the scene where Shack's train ducks off into a siding just BARELY avoiding a collision with the oncoming train ( a classic scene!) HOW did the turnout get set to divert his train off to the right? Also, did the oncoming train just push the turnout back to a straight position? Wouldn't this have caused a derailment or am I confusing the real world with model railroading?
---------------------
Actually that's pure Hollywood..Shacks train would have never departed the yard since he had what 15 minutes to get to the junction? Why? He would need a dispatcher permission to leave the yard and their would have been rules governing a inferior train meeting with a superior train as far as time needed to be in the clear..Also the passenger engineer would not simply keep blowing his whistle..He would have slowed down to about 15 mph after hearing 19's whistle.
--------------------

3) Another scene shows Lee Marvin ("A#1") being beaten with a chain by Shack. He reaches down and pulls a pin or something and uncouples all the cars behind the car that he was on while the train was still in motion. Was this really possible?
------------------

No..You need slack on the pin to uncouple.
------------------

4) Towards the end of the film, Lee Marvin and "Cigaret" are riding along underneath a car. Shack is attempting to dislodge them using a rope and a heavy metal bar bouncing up and hitting them as they ride. Lee Marvin pushes something with his foot and causes the entire train to come to a screeching halt. What was it? Was this possible?

-----------------

I think he supposedly pushed the air retainer valve and drain the air causing the train to go into emergency..However,the train would have not stop that quick because the weight would keep the momentum up and the train would have gradually stopped...If it did stop that fast all 3 men would have been killed or seriously injured from the derailment.

-----------------
5) I noticed one of the boxcars on Shack's train was yellow and might have had "Green Bay and Western" lettering on it. Is this correct? Because if it is, then my "Yard Boss" train set has one of those boxcars!
---------------
I believe that was a Burlington reefer.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It was a Western Fruit Express reefer if memory serves.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Thanks Charlie B, Brakie, and Tom! Cheers

Yeah, I guess "Hollywood' DID play a big part in the movie, Brakie! Icon_lol

Well, that's good, because then I was right in a few of my thoughts . . .

And "Western" was about the only thing I could make out, Tom. That, and the yellow color of the boxcar.

This is really great because some of the "railroad movies" help to foster our hobby and make some modeling possibilities! (how about "Runaway Train" ?? I can picture making a consist of those 4 locos)

Did I post this in the right spot, then? Icon_lol

All best,
Joe
"I've got my facts pretty clear . . . all I want now is to know what they all mean."
To add to Brakie's outstanding explanation, if a train "runs through" a trailing point switch it will force the points to the route the train is coming through and break or bend the throw rod... and most likely not derail. Happens more than most rails would admit, because it is usually in a yard setting and fixed "under the radar" with some creative engineering. Usually it is just a matter of bending the rod back or pinning it in a different hole. If the switch is badly damaged most rails are buddies with a good maintainer that will help, but if it can't be easily fixed or the wrong person is watching it can result in disciplinary action. As mentioned, the switches out on the main are controlled by the dispatcher and can only be opened remotely or with permission to unlock, and nowadays forms need to be filled out each time a switch is thrown. Running through a switch out there on the main would definitely tie things up and result in time off for the crew.
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:To add to Brakie's outstanding explanation, if a train "runs through" a trailing point switch it will force the points to the route the train is coming through and break or bend the throw rod... and most likely not derail. Happens more than most rails would admit, because it is usually in a yard setting and fixed "under the radar" with some creative engineering. Usually it is just a matter of bending the rod back or pinning it in a different hole. If the switch is badly damaged most rails are buddies with a good maintainer that will help, but if it can't be easily fixed or the wrong person is watching it can result in disciplinary action. As mentioned, the switches out on the main are controlled by the dispatcher and can only be opened remotely or with permission to unlock, and nowadays forms need to be filled out each time a switch is thrown. Running through a switch out there on the main would definitely tie things up and result in time off for the crew.

Yeah, I hear that! I once got away with it at Amtrak by sending my cute little switchman Rebecca into the yard foreman's office to flirt with him, a crazy Russian carman and his torch, a large pipe, some "Non-Rev" bottles of Sprite froma nearby lounge car parked on a service track, and had to hold the points with that breaker bar by hand with a fast approaching Amtrak "Capitol" coming into the yard with a very wide eyed engineer about to wet himself as he approached the switch. Made it just in the nick of time too, as the forman knew something was up and Rebecca's charm could only hold him in his office so long. Goldth

I am lucky to still be in the railroad industry after that little escapade. Goldth
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]