Loksound white noise
I've had a loksound decoder in my U34CH locomotive for a long time now, and it has always performed fine. However, today the sound system in it seems to have failed.

Whenever the engine turns on (as in power is applied to the locomotive, not just the start up sounds), the decoder produces a white noise that at best is annoying, and at worst drowns out all the locomotive sounds.

I removed the shell, and everything seems fine. The locomotive did have to make a run through a rain storm, but i'm pretty sure it was working fine when i first turned it on today. Only now is it doing this, and i can't figure out why. I haven't had to program it or take it out of the locomotive since i installed it, and this is probably the first time in a long time the decoder has even seen the light of day.

Any clue what it is? this is usually my engine of choice at train shows, i'd really hate to hear the sound is dead.... the rest of the locomotive runs excellent.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
G_E_C, i am really miffed as to what had went wrong. i have Loksound sound decoders in around 25-30 engines, and have never encountered this problem.

i am guessing you have already set the decoder back to factory defaults, if not, i would try that first Wink . if that doesnt work, i only have two more ideas, contact ESU and see what they say, or, i know ESU Loksound has google groups, i have been there before, but i dont have the link anymore, it wouldnt be to hard to find with a simple search though.
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that i found the problem. Apparently, the dynamic brake noise was stuck in mid loop or something, making a funny noise. It didn't show up on the throttle either (F5 i think is they dynamic brake function), and since shutting the locomotive down only turns off the engine noises (not "accessory" noises), the dynamic break noise continued.

I was just randomly hitting buttons, and when i hit F5 it turned off, and when i hit it again, the dynamic brake noise went back to normal instead of that constant hiss. Its not so surprising, lately the horn has been getting stuck "on" with a bunch of my locomotives over two different systems (both MRC and NCE). Must have just been another freak incident on my layout this week, but thats another story!

I'm just angry it took me so long to figure it out. Atleast i didn't try sending the decoder back!

thanks for the advice!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Great you found the problem,thats the way we learn.