What dont you like about this hobby
There's gotta be something or even somethings that grind your gears in this hobby, I'll start:

Local dealers from hobby shows and stores that handle 2nd hand rolling stock. They set the price so high for cheap items you cant think who would even buy them, and it's not custom weathered or detailed ones, it's the old tyco/bachmann hook-horn ones that everyone has. There's always some guy selling them for $10 a piece, what are they thinking? They never sell them and you end up seeing the same ones next time around. When you're at a show there's that guy again, and all you have to do is walk a few tables over and find the same cars in the $2 bin 35

Another one is Locomotives. I just stopped by a hobby shop out of town and saw a loco I was looking for, a blue box sw1500 switcher in the railroad I wanted. The price said $109, you got it $109! The guy said that's how much athearn is selling that model for. But really Athearn is but for a Genesis that's brand new, not for a 20 year old blue box with metal handrails. I tried telling the guy the difference, he said he'd let it go for $70 35

It's things like that that really get me about this hobby, some people think you can polish a turd and it's worth more, when in fact it's still a turd. Nope
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I don't like the fact that DCC sets are still sooooooo expensive. That first investment is just too much for me at present. The development costs must surely have been earned back by now, several hundreds of dollars just seems a bit over the top to me and I can't afford it. Yes there are cheap sets out there, but they don't do what I want to do ( a simple 2 or more engine consist in ANY orientation for example) or it is very limited to expand. Is it really true that the market is so small that the cost per unit price is still that ridiculously high? I somehow can't get my head round that..
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
The continuing trend towards larger scales, larger layouts and modern equipment.

I don't like being forced in any direction, and I don't like hearing "You model older stuff"? Yeah, Cooter...I do.
metal wheelsets bulk pack of 100 = $65 = 65 cents per axle
Kadee couplers = 58 cents each
= $3.76 to upgrade one car
200 cars at $3.76 = $752.00 Curse
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
torikoos Wrote:I don't like the fact that DCC sets are still sooooooo expensive.

It is interesting how we each have our pet peeves. There I am complaining about the cost of metal wheelsets, yet I am okay with the cost of DCC. I suspect that most of us don't have a huge problem with paying $400 to $500 for a computer, yet a DCC system is basically a computer that helps us run our trains. Still, I would be okay with lower costs! Big Grin
Tomustang wrote: Another one is Locomotives. I just stopped by a hobby shop out of town and saw a loco I was looking for, a blue box sw1500 switcher in the railroad I wanted. The price said $109, you got it $109! The guy said that's how much athearn is selling that model for. But really Athearn is but for a Genesis that's brand new, not for a 20 year old blue box with metal handrails. I tried telling the guy the difference, he said he'd let it go for $70
-------------------------------
The first run of the upgraded RTR SW1500 sold for $89.98 and the latest run sells for $109.98 however,the Blue box SW1500 still sells for its last original price-IIRC $44.98?-if you can still find 'em in hobby shops.

Your case is a fine example of price gouging and ripping off unsuspecting or new modeler.

Guys,That's why one needs to keep up with current prices.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
MountainMan Wrote:The continuing trend towards larger scales, larger layouts and modern equipment.

I don't like being forced in any direction, and I don't like hearing "You model older stuff"? Yeah, Cooter...I do.

Cheers

But I wouldn't let it get you down. Just do what you are doing and you might influence others to "buck the trend". Thumbsup
Gary S Wrote:
torikoos Wrote:I don't like the fact that DCC sets are still sooooooo expensive.

It is interesting how we each have our pet peeves. There I am complaining about the cost of metal wheelsets, yet I am okay with the cost of DCC. I suspect that most of us don't have a huge problem with paying $400 to $500 for a computer, yet a DCC system is basically a computer that helps us run our trains. Still, I would be okay with lower costs! Big Grin

Well on that train of thought, it occured to me that I spent just as much on my Power Cab when I picked it up a few years ago as I did on the Tsunami I just bought. Go figure. I'm still trying to rationalize that one, so I try not to think about it. :?

Lack of diversity among modelers. Face it, go to a train show and 90% of people there fit a certain age/sex/socioeconomic and sometimes political demographic. It happens with many hobbies, and I am not sure why that is. But, I think model railroading could use more input from women and the younger crowd, as well as from different cultures. New perspectives could keep things fresh and exciting.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Lack of diversity among modelers. Face it, go to a train show and 90% of people there fit a certain age/sex/socioeconomic and sometimes political demographic. It happens with many hobbies, and I am not sure why that is. But, I think model railroading could use more input from women and the younger crowd, as well as from different cultures. New perspectives could keep things fresh and exciting.

Well, I'm from the netherlands, living in the UK, working throughout europe (currently in France), and am therefore far from retirement age (which seems to be the current average age of railroad modelers in the UK, the younger generations have their playstations etc...) enough variety there to fill in the culture and younger bit , can't help you with the female bit, and for that matter, my wife shakes her head and gives me a ' you sad, sad person ' look when I mention trains....:-)
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Gary S Wrote:

Compared to modern computers, DCC systems are pretty basic in their computing capabilities, it's clever electronics and programmable in many ways, and perhaps they do officially classify as 'computing equipment' to a certain degree, but to be that expensive? You can get a laptop for less! (and if you want to interface your computer with your DCC system, have a look what some of them charge for a 'simple' USB to Xpress net or Loconet interface, in some cases well over 100 bucks, that's just crazy in my opinion.) I think the price stayed high for too long now. When it was new I could understand it, but right now you can get DSP microprocessors for less than a decent potentiometer... What is so expensive I wonder? The intellectual property? A certain chip, any ideas?

Yes, sound systems for your engines do also seem a little pricey too... But I've ranted enough. As long as people keep paying the prices, they will remain where they are (saw some Lenz DCC equipment on E-bay recently, which sold for more than new price, what are people thinking! )
MRRing costs will always be high unless the hobby becomes more mainstream. It's economics 101 on the demand side. Remember how expensive the first PCs were some years ago? Now they're in every home and manufactured and marketed by untold numbers of companies and therefore have become inexpensive compared to the old days. Same thing would happen if MRRing were in every home....at least that's what I think... Icon_idea
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
torikoos Wrote:Compared to modern computers, DCC systems are pretty basic in their computing capabilities, it's clever electronics and programmable in many ways, and perhaps they do officially classify as 'computing equipment' to a certain degree, but to be that expensive? You can get a laptop for less!

Yes, you're correct on your comments. DCC is quite basic as far as computers go. But Richard makes a good point, it is a supply and demand thing.

And, to a certain extent,, it is a matter of priorities. Not sure about the UK, but, for example, tons of folks in the US are willing to pay $100 a month for cable tv and $100 a month for a mega-internet-GPS-handheld-computer cell phone. A few months with a "regular" phone and no cable and that DCC system is paid for.

Now, I am certain the high cost of model railroading is a contributing factor in keeping younger folks out of the hobby (unless their daddy is in the hobby). How could a 12 year old afford all this stuff?
Go or stay DC. I am!! I am not going to pay. It's a hobby?
[b]Bruce[/b]
nachoman Wrote:Lack of diversity among modelers. Face it, go to a train show and 90% of people there fit a certain age/sex/socioeconomic and sometimes political demographic. It happens with many hobbies, and I am not sure why that is. But, I think model railroading could use more input from women and the younger crowd, as well as from different cultures. New perspectives could keep things fresh and exciting.

I think this is what bothers me the most as well, or at least something similar. On the other hand, I find it fascinating "studying" what kind of people groups are attracted to different hobbies or interests. I'm also into hiking and outdoor pursuits, as well as health and fitness -- I like to observe the different types of people that are drawn to these interests as well.

I think what bothers me most is when some people obsess over certain details, i.e. some insist that you must always weather your locos while others say you shouldn't. I think others are too particular with the detail standards of their locos.

In some ways, I don't fit into the MRR demographic and in other ways I do. For example, I'm more artistic and not mechanically inclined at all. I generally like trains because of the memories, mood and atmosphere they evoke -- enjoying their sights and sounds. I'd be hopeless at trying to help repair or restore an actual loco!

I take the MRR pricing problems in stride because that problem affects almost every interest. Usually, you can still find deals or ways to get around these.

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->