We need a GERN thread
Her is the GERN Flux Enhanced Coal Facility on the MF&W RR Smile Smile 1:20.3, large scale Big Grin

[Image: file.php?id=6666]
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Speaking of GERN cars, what are the reporting marks?, would it be something like GRNX 00000 ?

Oh, I've found one thing that GERN flux cannot make 3% faster........dial up internet ! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
It does, however, seem to work on lame duck congresses. 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete, GERN's reporting marks are GILX (GERN Industries Limited, with the "X" to denote privately-owned cars).
Including me, there are currently 36 members of the GERN corporate family. It's open to anyone who's interested, with the only stipulation being that anyone building GERN rolling stock contact me for assignment of car numbers - this is to avoid duplications.
Not all have rolling stock, and some don't yet have a GERN facility (this can be a mine, a small (or large) warehouse, or a full-blown processing plant. Anyone who joins will get all the GERN advertising and associated literature that's currently available, via an e-mail attachment, and any new stuff as it becomes available. My brother is responsible for most of the material (and is the originator of the whole concept), but several others here have expanded on the theme and their stuff is included in the package.

In no particular order, here are the members:
Gary S.
CNW1961
UPSD40-2
MilesWestern
iis612
LesterPerry
nolatron
MasonJar
CCT70
tetters
railBuilderhd
DeckRoid
Catt
2-8-2
w8jy
canazar
railroader9731
Herc Driver
Ralph
conrailmike
jmarksbery
Mountain Man
ocalicreek
e-paw
faraway
cnnutbar
P5se Camelback
RRManiac
ngauger
AF350
Shortliner
bdw9535
Puddlejumper
Flynn
doctorwayne

Anyone interested, please contact me via PM - I'll need an e-mail address to which the GERN promotional material can be sent.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I haven't finalized the plans to build a Gauge anniversary tank car, but thought it might be cool to have one with the GERN ( GILX ) reporting marks.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Wayne. Did you in your wildest dreams think that this would take off like it did?
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I've always thought the GERN phenomenon to be worthy of a magazine article...
Gary S Wrote:I've always thought the GERN phenomenon to be worthy of a magazine article...

After reading this thread - YES< YES it is. However I doubt the 'big guys' with that other forum will be much interested. Not their style. RMC though..

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
rrinker Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:I've always thought the GERN phenomenon to be worthy of a magazine article...

After reading this thread - YES< YES it is. However I doubt the 'big guys' with that other forum will be much interested. Not their style. RMC though..

--Randy
We would.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I was thinking the same thing.. We could have a "10 years of GERN" article Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Where is the original mine/factory/whatever that produces the initial "flux"?
doctorwayne has all of that info ... but it is in the land of the Maple Leaf.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Flux was originally discovered in the highlands of Scotland. One of the dissolved minerals in highland streams, it lent a certain "wha' kens it the noo'?"* to whiskey. The mineral by itself was found on the shores of the Tay at low tide.
King James V granted rights to harvest and package flux to William McKenzie who established a packaging and distribution centre in Perth, near where the railroad later came through (probably because of the flux traffic).

I believe that deposits were later discovered in America, in the deserts of Louisiana.

*(or, in the original Norman French: Jenny says kwa)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
MountainMan Wrote:Where is the original mine/factory/whatever that produces the initial "flux"?

There's some "history" of GERN HERE, specifically in Post #56 on Page 4, and Post #98 on Page 7. Many of you will recall seeing it previously, so I hope that re-visiting it won't be a traumatic experience. Wink Misngth Misngth

Since my Gibson Works in Port Maitland (located on the north shore of Lake Erie) was the first model of a GERN facility, it can be considered the original for modelling purposes. Some have built very similar plants and some bear no resemblance to it at all. I consider mine to represent about one third of what would be the "visible" part of the works: the unmodelled part serves lake boats and ocean-going ships, and is mostly storage silos and loading facilities. In addition to the modelled and unmodelled above-ground part of the operation, flux is mined below the lake bed (much like the salt mining operation at Goderich, Ontario, on Lake Huron - pictured below).
[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes004.jpg]

For those modelling GERN, the flux ore can come from a modelled or unmodelled mine, or simply be shipped in as semi-processed material for further development. This allows you to model GERN in a limited space, with a very simple warehouse-type structure or just a couple of trackside storage tanks, with the factory located "elsewhere". Because the product is so versatile (and vague) Misngth it can generate lots of rail traffic even for a 'phone-booth-size plant.

Wayne
Lester Perry Wrote:Wayne. Did you in your wildest dreams think that this would take off like it did?
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I wish I had space to model that ship loading facility! All of the silos and conveyors are so interesting! And, I always appreciate getting more background on GERN. Thumbsup

Ralph