We need a GERN thread
Ralph Wrote:I wish I had space to model that ship loading facility! All of the silos and conveyors are so interesting! And, I always appreciate getting more background on GERN. Thumbsup
Ralph

My best guess would be somewhere around 340- 400 feet for the ship ( 3',10" - 4',7" in HO scale ). Even with selective compression you'd need at least twelve feet of length to model that scene. ( or maybe two Ntrak modules )
It would be spectacular!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Lester Perry Wrote:
Lester Perry Wrote:Wayne. Did you in your wildest dreams think that this would take off like it did?

Sorry for missing that question, Les. 35

Well, to be honest, I thought that the Gibson Works turned out pretty nicely and that it would pique some interest in GERN. Most of my layout is based on my personal memories, and many industries are named for family or friends. GERN seemed to be a good fit on that account and I knew that it could be a major traffic generator, too. I was pleased to have both the modelling and the concept so well-accepted, but I can't truly say that I was surprised: having a good imagination is a prerequisite for model railroaders, in my opinion, and it's heartening to see so many here that fulfill that requirement.

Wayne
BR60103 Wrote:Flux was originally discovered in the highlands of Scotland. One of the dissolved minerals in highland streams, it lent a certain "wha' kens it the noo'?"* to whiskey. The mineral by itself was found on the shores of the Tay at low tide.
King James V granted rights to harvest and package flux to William McKenzie who established a packaging and distribution centre in Perth, near where the railroad later came through (probably because of the flux traffic).

I believe that deposits were later discovered in America, in the deserts of Louisiana.

*(or, in the original Norman French: Jenny says kwa)

And along the Colorado beaches? 35 Icon_lol
BR60103 Wrote:Flux was originally discovered in the highlands of Scotland. One of the dissolved minerals in highland streams, it lent a certain "wha' kens it the noo'?"* to whiskey. The mineral by itself was found on the shores of the Tay at low tide.
King James V granted rights to harvest and package flux to William McKenzie who established a packaging and distribution centre in Perth, near where the railroad later came through (probably because of the flux traffic).

I believe that deposits were later discovered in America, in the deserts of Louisiana.

*(or, in the original Norman French: Jenny says kwa)

And along the Colorado beaches? 35 Icon_lol

"Dissolved minerals" means a source upstream, which means a major surface deposit, which would be...where?
Wayne it sounds like we have similar modeling thoughts. That is how I named my layout businesses and locations. Some people think it is a childish hobby, so I guess in some ways it is for me. Full of childhood memories. Sounds like a good thread to start. Think I will.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
MountainMan Wrote:... a major surface deposit, which would be...where?

I am pretty sure that there is a vein of flux-bearing ore eroding out of the hills above Pandorum...! Wink

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:... a major surface deposit, which would be...where?

I am pretty sure that there is a vein of flux-bearing ore eroding out of the hills above Pandorum...! Wink

Andrew

Actually...not. 8-)
There have been a couple of deep mines opened up near South Hill, Virginia. The South Hill & Eastern Foothills RR is currently being built to the mine to service it. For now, it's all being trucked out.
No "trucks" on my layout, although there will be some interesting substitutes. 8-)

Has anyone ever considered that Flux increases everything by 3%, including flaws? Maybe the rivets in the Titanic were made using Flux, and were therefore 3% weaker? Ditto the steel hull plating... Nope
Actually, GERN-brand flux improves things by 3%. Wink Goldth

MountainMan Wrote:No "trucks" on my layout, although there will be some interesting substitutes.

Sounds like we're finally going to get a working model of Chester Gould's "Magnetic Space Coupe". Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Actually, GERN-brand flux improves things by 3%. Wink Goldth

MountainMan Wrote:No "trucks" on my layout, although there will be some interesting substitutes.

Sounds like we're finally going to get a working model of Chester Gould's "Magnetic Space Coupe". Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Selective improvement of all things...riiight... 8-)

Sorry - no "magnetic space coupes". Something more realistic and workable, although "fantasy" all the same. You shouldn't limit your imagination so much.
RRManiac Wrote: There have been a couple of deep mines opened up near South Hill, Virginia. The South Hill & Eastern Foothills RR is currently being built to the mine to service it. For now, it's all being trucked out.

I was under the impression that the mineral/ore/material from which GERN derives its magnificent Flux products came exclusively from a vein discovered under the Canadian side of certain Great Lakes. Possibly, I have misunderstood.

We need the good doctorwayne to set us straight, or at least to set me straight.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:
RRManiac Wrote: There have been a couple of deep mines opened up near South Hill, Virginia. The South Hill & Eastern Foothills RR is currently being built to the mine to service it. For now, it's all being trucked out.

I was under the impression that the mineral/ore/material from which GERN derives its magnificent Flux products came exclusively from a vein discovered under the Canadian side of certain Great Lakes. Possibly, I have misunderstood.

We need the good doctorwayne to set us straight, or at least to set me straight.

Well, I am from the Canadian side, but I'll not claim to speak definitively for Wayne, Cookie Gibson, or other flux magnates! Wink I do however, believe that the beauty of flux is that it can be found where needed, and applied in a manner that measurably improves the desired quality of that to which it is applied (the only "drawback" being that the amelioration is limited to 3%). Thus it can be found in Canada, Scotland, Virginia, or wherever you happen to think to look. It can subsequently be shipped, processed, or otherwise used in any location worldwide for any purpose imaginable. Hence medicinal flux, dessert grade flux, flux-o-leum aircraft paint, plaid upholstery, and countless other applications.

Wink Smile Big Grin

Andrew
I sit here ... corrected ... but loving it ... thank you! I'm now 3% smarter!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:I sit here ... corrected ... but loving it ... thank you! I'm now 3% smarter!

Naturally...you've just been "fluxed...in public... Icon_lol