To DCC, or to not DCC
Sumpter250 wrote: "Caveat: DC and DCC in a block ( cab) control situation. NEVER let a DC engine enter a live DCC block. The DC can be routed to the DCC controller (Zephyr, Power cab, etc) through the loco's wheels, and very probably cause significant damage."

That's why I use a DPDT switch to flip betwwen modes AND a jack for the DC pack. After messing with it, it gets unplugged and goes on the shelf. Then the switch gets flipped back to DCC....
I did the dual mode because I HATE the whining & squealing you get from running a DC engine with the Zephyr. This way I have the best of both worlds.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
This is an interesting and informative thread! I've thought about making the jump to DCC, but find it cost prohibitive for the type of operation I'm modeling. I have a couple of really great DC systems that work just fine, and having retired, have to watch how much I spend on the hobby. Just the same, I'm making sure that the new layout under construction will be DCC ready should I decide to make the change!

The cost of electronic items seems to always go down - at least as far as computers, etc. are concerned, but not sure about model railroad items, which seem to be on a steady increase, but can always hope Smile
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
After reading many of the threads here, I made the plunge and purchased an NCE Power Cab system from Litchfield Station http://www.litchfieldstation.com/. Talk about getting your order fast - took about 2 days to receive it and that was via USPS! And darn good prices too.

After staring at the box for the past few days, I bit the bullet this morning and hooked it up to a 6 foot test track - put one of my Bachmann GE 45 ton locos on it and I'M HOOKED!!!

Even though the Bachmann dual mode decoder is very simple and all I can do is turn the headlight on and off, the slow speed operation was unreal! After playing around with it for a little while, I started the little rascal at one end of the test track at about 1 smph - went upstairs - went to the potty - grabbed another cup of coffee and when I go back downstairs, the little rascal had covered only about 4 feet of the track! Thought that loco operated really great on just plain DC, but this is tooooooooooooooo good! Actually, the start up speed is much slower than a prototype 45 tonner. Those little beasts can accelerate pretty fast.

I experimented between 28 and 128 speed steps and although the 28 speed steps gives me a more realistic start up speed, there seems to be a jump in speed at about 10 smph in that mode. Not sure if that is the decoder or just caused by the fewer speed steps. Based on my testing this morning, I can't imagine using a DCC system or decoder that only has 8 speed steps.

Also, is it normal for the loco to make a slight chattering noise when operating at very slow speed? Doesn't do it when operating on straight DC, but I figure it's caused by the fact that the motor is getting rapid full voltage spikes all the time - am I right on that one?

Does look like I may need to see if I can find a longer cable for the NCE throttle (a 6-wire telephone type cable) - the 7 foot cable is not going to allow me to cover the length of my proposed shelf layout plan. Other than that I am VERY PLEASED. I know that I can get throttles from NCE that can be unplugged and moved to another location, but right now, I'm trying to hold back on spending a lot more on the DCC system, until I get off my butt and start building the layout.

Now I need to unload some of my surplus locos to support my new addiction! Looks like I may have to invest in a loco with a sound decoder at some point or look into installing a sound decoder in one of my 45 tonners. Anyone recommend a good small 4 axle loco that is sound equipped and won't require me to take out a loan at the bank?
Ed
Ed, I just bought a Power Cab for the layout I'm planning to build. I'm finishing up a spare bedroom to make into a combination guest room and grand kids toy room. Once I'm finished with the room and get all of the toys moved from the "train room," I will start my layout. If I understand the instructions correctly, you don't really need a longer cable. Just use some phone wire to wire in more receptacles into your fascia. If you unplug your power cab while you train is moving, it will stay at whatever the last command was until you plug in elsewhere and change the command.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:If I understand the instructions correctly, you don't really need a longer cable. Just use some phone wire to wire in more receptacles into your fascia. If you unplug your power cab while you train is moving, it will stay at whatever the last command was until you plug in elsewhere and change the command.
Russ;
Sounds like I need to read through the manual some huh? I was thinking that in order to be able to plug-unplug, etc. you had to purchase an additional throttle unit and receptacles that wire up to the main one. That would be great if I can do it that way.

I've been playing around with it and just love it. Can't wait to get the new MP15dc with sound so I can try out all the effects. My little GE 45 tonner runs like a dream with this DCC system - I'm really hooked now.

Now it's time for me to get off my tush and start working on my switching layout! I've spent too much time planning and too much time in front of the computer!
Ed