This one's for Gary S.
Hello Everyone---I guess I've been sidetracked lately but thanks to Gary for throwing the switch back to the mainline,I'm back---here's a few shots for Gary,hope you enjoy

[Image: 006-6.jpg]

[Image: 016-5.jpg]

[Image: 004-5.jpg]

[Image: 013-4.jpg]

[Image: 013-3.jpg]

[Image: 025a.jpg]
Woohoo Mister Nutbar! Great to see you back and in action. Now, a little exercise for you... since I know so little about steam, how about naming each loco in each picture for me - exactly what are we looking at?

Also, what is the tank up high on the nose of most of those locos? Some kind of water preheater?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Hi Gary---all the locomotives posted are brass imports custom painted and decorated by my good friend Doctor Wayne---actually #4193 (Beeg Boy) is a custom built one of a kind beauty that Doc created for me starting with an Akane USRA 2-10-2.

1533 is a H-6-D 4-6-0 tenwheeler built by Montreal Locomotive Works in 1910
5588 is a K-3-B 4-6-2 Pacific built in 1910 by the Grand Trunk Railway
4193 (Beeg Boy) is a T-3-A 2-10-2 Santa Fe type built in 1919 by Alco Brooks---originally owned by the Boston & Albany,sold to the CNR in 1920
4100 is a class T-2-A 2-10-2 built by Kingston Locomotive Works in 1924
3377 is a S-1-D 2-8-2 Mikado,Kingston Loco Works 1918
3529 is a S-2-A Mike (2-8-2),Kingston 1923
2747 is a N-5-C 2-8-0 Consolidation type builtin 1926 at the CNR shops in their Transcona shops

The bundle type apparatus on many of the locomotives is an Elesco Feedwater System which was a common feature on many classes of Canadian National steam locomotives
Thanks for the quick reply with the info. Now, because of the angle and shadows on some of the locos, I'm not sure of the wheel arrangements on all of those locos. Could you add that to your post for the ones you didn't already do?

Also, where did the names such as "Pacific" and "Mikado" and the rest come from? Do any of these named locos have the same wheel configuration as other named locos? In other words, is the wheel arrangement always an identifier of the various named locos?

What exactly was the purpose of the Elseco Feedwater System as opposed to non-Elesco equipped locos?
Nutbar - that is a very impressive collection of steamers!

Gary - the feedwater heaters were for efficiency. They used exhaust to heat up the water before injecting it into the boiler. The warmer the water is going in, the less it has to be heated up in order to convert it to steam. But I have also heard that they reduced thermal stress on the boiler. Putting cold water into a heated boiler is likely to cause thermal stress. If the water was heated closer to the temperature of the boiler, the stress is reduced.

The various names for the wheel arraignments usually had something to do with the railroad or region where that arrangement was first used. Such as the "Allegheny" (Allegheny mountains) or "Mikado" (Japan). Some railroad used different names (such as Northern and Niagara for a 4-8-4)
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Gary's just havin' some fun pokin' at them older steamer guys, 'cuz he likes them ol' smelly oyl drippin' boring diesel thingies with no external workin's to keep yer eyes from glazin' over from the bordom of sameness. Ya cain't tell 'em apart 'cuzin they all looks alike! Shoot!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I have to heartily disagree that they all look alike. I have seen blue, black, yellow, oroange, and also a mixture. Those steamy thingys are most all black (talk about look-alikes). Some green and Thomas blue. So there! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Shoot Nope Nope

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Hello Everyone---Gary,I edited my original post to include the wheel arrangements of each locomotive---correct me if I'm wrong,but I think this is what the Whyte classification system refers to.As well,I think for the most part,railroads used a common labelling system for their locomotives but there were variations.Originally the Canadian National called their 4-8-4s "Confederations" and the Union Pacific called their 2-8-2s "MacArthurs"---I'm sure there were other variations---hopefully some other members can provide some input on this issue.
Kevin---thanks for your kind remarks and the explanation of the feedwater system
biL---you made me laugh---nice to know there are still some other members who can still remember and appreciate steam engines
I'd like to see more of that Belpaire-boilered Mike. Is that a brass model? I have been hoping for a manufacturer to come out with a PRR Mike for some time (Belpaire, NOT the USRA like Athearn did), now that the Bowser is so hard to get, plus it has to be built and I can't seem to get my A5 0-4-0 finished, let alone a 2-8-2!!
-Dave
The "Whyte" system refers to classification based upon the arrangement of pilot wheels, driving wheels, and trailing wheels:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.steamlocomotive.com/misc/wheels.shtml">http://www.steamlocomotive.com/misc/wheels.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Thus, a locomotive would be a 2-8-0, 4-4-0, 2-8-8-2, etc. The first number is the number of pilot wheels, and the last is the number of trailing wheels. Both pilot and trailing wheels are non-powered. The middle number(s) refer to the number of wheels driven by the cylinders. If there are two sets of cylinders (as in an articulated locomotive), there are two sets of numbers corresponding to the number of drive wheels driven by each cylinder.

The names are just what railroads called each wheel arrangement under the Whyte system. It is much easier to say "ten wheeler" in a conversation instead of "four-six-zero". Different railroads often used their own names, and political conflicts also resulted in different names. 2-8-2 was "Mikado" in the USA until Pearl Harbor, and then the PC crowd came in and thought it wasn't right to have a Japanese name - so they were renamed "MacArthur" after the general. After the war "Mikado" came back into usage, and is still the most popular name for that wheel arrangement.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
yellowlynn Wrote:I have to heartily disagree that they all look alike. I have seen blue, black, yellow, oroange, and also a mixture. Those steamy thingys are most all black (talk about look-alikes). Some green and Thomas blue. So there! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Shoot Nope Nope

Lynn

Interesting Lynn---all the diesels on the CNR are green only---now how boring is that

[Image: 041a.jpg]

[Image: 007-6.jpg]

[Image: 009-4.jpg]

[Image: 015-7.jpg]

[Image: 017-6.jpg]

Thanks again Kevin---being "technically challenged",I need all the help I can get

Dave---#3529 is a brass import which was modified by Doctor Wayne to include the Elesco feedwater system,piping and pumps ---occassionally I see them posted on E-bay

[Image: 006-7.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---Gary,I edited my original post to include the wheel arrangements of each locomotive---correct me if I'm wrong,but I think this is what the Whyte classification system refers to.

Thank you kindly. That clears it up a bit. So the Elesco system is preheating and the Whyte system is classification... learn something new every day! Smile Even though I don't run steam, I still like to look at your nice models!
cn nutbar Wrote:all the diesels on the CNR are green only---now how boring is that

I don't so much like the RS diesels, but I do like the Geeps in the photo below. That Canadian green and gold is growing on me.

[Image: 041a.jpg]
Gary S Wrote:... Thank you kindly. That clears it up a bit. So the Elesco system is preheating and the Whyte system is classification... learn something new every day! Smile Even though I don't run steam, I still like to look at your nice models!

Oohhhhh! Gary! All this time I thought you were playing games about "pre-heaters" and the Whyte System! That's why I decided to come right back and have some fun! I would have explained more if I thought you were asking a serious question! Sorry! Sad
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
No worries biL! the whole thing was rather entertaining! Tongue

And for real, I had no idea of the Whyte system!