Tsunami Reset problem
I recently recieved a GP15-1 with sound from Athearn Genesis. It has a tsunami sound decoder in it. I messed up on programming the 4 digit adress, and i was not initially surprised that it didn't work (some decoders are finnicky about that). However, usually i can just set it on a program track and reset the decoder.

The Tsunami decoder however won't reset, neither with CV8 at 8, or CV30 at 2 (both of which are listed as possible reset choices). When i checked online, it says the following-

Quote:"Resetting the CVs ... can be quickly reset to their factory default values using the following procedure.

1. Program CV 30 to 2 (or CV 8 to 8) using either Service Mode or Operations Mode
2. Place locomotive on a powered section of track. If locomotive is already on the mainline, cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and then back on.
3. After power is restored to the track there should be no indication of activity other than the power LED turning on for a period of six seconds. If sound comes on imediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not reset. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Once the six-second period has elapsed, the sound should come on and the headlight, backup light and onboard diagnostic light will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset.
5. Tsunami should now respond to short address 3 just as it did when it was first unpacked.
6. If you cannot get the decoder to reset, check to see that it has not been inadvertently locked (see “If You Forget the Lock Code” in the previous section)."

The locomotive ALWAYS starts right back up with the sound, and never resets. I never get past step 2. I know it has not been locked, i haven't even messed with that CV. i've only programmed CV17, CV18, and CV29, and i used the same value for 29 i always use without issue.

I only JUST got this locomotive and its incredibly frustrating that already it doesn't work.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
G.E.C. ... I know nothing about DCC and have a tough time in general understanding basic electricity ... but ... I do read directions well and if nothing else, I'm a creative problem solver with 37 years of experience and I use a logical thought process.

That said, I read ahead ... I realize that you said you did not lock the input down, but you did say that you messed up in the initial programing steps. Is it possible that in your mess-up, you inadvertantly lock it? I ask because when you said, "I know it has not been locked, ..." a wry smile crept across my face.

"6. If you cannot get the decoder to reset, check to see that it has not been inadvertently locked (see “If You Forget the Lock Code” in the previous section)."

C'mon, Cab ... humor me, give it a try!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
you're probably right, and i was thinking this as i posted it, but i'm still pretty sure i didn't hit those CVs. Though, CVs 15 and 16 (the locking CVs) are right next door to CV17 so its possible, and if those CVs don't match, it won't change. I can try reprogramming the sound volume to see if the engine will reprogram in my programming track (its possible the programming track doesn't have enough juice, i was initally programming on the mainline which has more power to it).

i'll try it tommorow morning, lol.
What system of DCC are you using?
Some systems require a programing track booster. So you may not be talking to the decoder and therfor unable to do a reset.
When you look at CV8 does it read back to you. It should bring up a number of 141. That is the manufacturers ID number stored in CV8.
I'm with Woodone, you may need a booster. I never had problems programming my original Soundtraxx decoders, the DSD150's I believe they are. And I had read about the bosters and had been glad I didn't seem to need one. Until I bought an Atlas unit with sound. I couldn't consistently program it. At the time (2 years ago?) there were two options available I knew of, one was a unit by Tony's, I think the other was by Soundtraxx. Price was identical, so I bought Tony's on an order I was placing for other stuff. Problem solved!

Not to say that biL's thought isn't possible, I know I've done things I didn't think I did!
woodone Wrote:What system of DCC are you using?
Some systems require a programing track booster. So you may not be talking to the decoder and therfor unable to do a reset.
When you look at CV8 does it read back to you. It should bring up a number of 141. That is the manufacturers ID number stored in CV8.

It did, but you're exactly right. I have a Prodigy Express (no booster). I took it to my train club, which had an NCE system with a booster, and sure enough it worked. It got a little weird first (for some reason, the bell came on when the horn button was pressed, and vice versa), but then i hit the reset CV again and it runs EXACTLY as it should, no problem.

I'm starting to think i should sell this MRC system for a better one.
I was at a train show recently that focused on work shops. One of them was on the use of a "Sprog II" with the JMRI interface. The first thing the presenter asked was "Does anyone here have an MRC system?" He then said, "If anyone has MRC, forget it. MRC will not interface with JMRI or work with anything else other than decoders."
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I was at a train show recently that focused on work shops. One of them was on the use of a "Sprog II" with the JMRI interface. The first thing the presenter asked was "Does anyone here have an MRC system?" He then said, "If anyone has MRC, forget it. MRC will not interface with JMRI or work with anything else other than decoders."

Yeah, thats the truth of it. i wish i went NCE when i had the chance.