Atlas MP-15dc With Sound
Hope I've posted this in the right forum.... 35
Since it looks like I'm hooked on the DCC now - naturally I'm wondering about some sound equipped HO locomotives that won't force me to take out a loan at the bank. One of the on-line hobby shops I frequently order from has the Atlas MP-15dc with sound for $144. So I'm wondering if any of you nice folks have or use one of these and if so, are you pleased with this engine and it's sound effects. The MP15 is one of my favorite prototype locomotives (love the sound of those EMD engines!) and this seems to be a fairly decent price, based on what I've been seeing.

Appreciate your input.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed, I have seen them run and they are sweet units. CSI Guy has 2 in Union RR livery. Maybe he can supply some more thoughts.
I have a BLI SW7 that I'm very pleased with and it was only $135 when I got it 4 years ago.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie!
The MP15dc's that are priced at $144 (actually 144.95) are in PL&E and Union Railroad paint - others are priced at $194. Must not be a popular paint scheme, huh?

Have also considered the BLI SW7 but haven't checked prices on that.

Ed
Ed
FCIN Wrote:Thanks Charlie!
The MP15dc's that are priced at $144 (actually 144.95) are in PL&E and Union Railroad paint - others are priced at $194. Must not be a popular paint scheme, huh?

Have also considered the BLI SW7 but haven't checked prices on that.

Ed

I was at a train show a few years ago. It was just a few months after Lifelike came out with the P2k Sw7. A vendor had a bunch of them for $29.95 (non dcc). I must have looked at them 3 times or more at that price looking for a a Santa Fe in zebra stripe. All of a sudden the "light went on" that all I needed was to get one with the maximum black and paint the rest of it black and apply decals. I bought an MP version and painted it black and applied the zebra stripes. I also installed a small decoder, and the unit works great. If you can get a great rice on an unpopular road name, some paint and decals are cheap!
Russ Bellinis Wrote:If you can get a great rice on an unpopular road name, some paint and decals are cheap!
Russ, that's pretty much what I've ended up doing. Found the MP15dc with sound for $129 and ordered one today. It's in my old employers paint - L&N -, but that unloved (by me anyway) Family Lines Scheme. Once I get it, it'll get a better paint job at some point.
Ed
I can vouch for the Atlas GP38s and B23-7s with Quantum sound - excellent! Silky smooth and sound great.

Don't know about the MP-15 but would assume the same quality. I wonder how heavy it is though... reason is because I have a P2K SW900 with sound and it is very lightweight. So much so, that P2K added a traction tire to each side to help with traction. Now, the downside of the traction tires is the reduced electrical pickup. The track and wheels have to be immaculately clean to keep the loco from sputtering about. I already had a P2K SW900 without sound that is much heavier, so I MUed them together permanently with two wires between them sothey share electrical pick-up. Before they were MUed, I speed matched them through CVs 2 through 6. They run great now.

Over at the BNSF Mykawa Yard, they have four of the Genset switchers and I see them MUed more often than not.

Anyway, enough rambling. Reason I mention the above is so you will be aware of the issues with the smaller sound locos.

Edit: Saw in another thread that your 45 tonner runs like a dream... so you shouldn't have any problems with the MP15 either. Looking forward to your comments on the sound-equipped loco!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:I wonder how heavy it is though... reason is because I have a P2K SW900 with sound and it is very lightweight. So much so, that P2K added a traction tire to each side to help with traction...

Edit: Saw in another thread that your 45 tonner runs like a dream... so you shouldn't have any problems with the MP15 either. Looking forward to your comments on the sound-equipped loco!
Gary;

About had heart failure when I read that about the MP15 possibly having traction tires!!! I HATE TRACTION TIRES! - Not being able to find out anything specific about this model, I'm assuming (and hoping) that they do not have them. I'll be more than a little disappointed if it comes with them installed and I have to replace those wheel sets!

The MP15 with a length of 48ft-8in is a little larger locomotive than and SW900 with a length of 44ft-8in so I'm hoping it has sufficient weight. I should be able to add a little more weight if needed in the air filter box.

Yep, that little 25 ft long 45 tonner with it's 6 foot wheel base trucks runs just great. I added a couple of turnouts and a couple of pieces of track to my "test track" and even with only one power feed and not the cleanest track, everything runs fine!

I'll let you know what happens, once I get the model. Ordered it Sunday evening on line and as of today (Tuesday) it has not been shipped! First time I've ordered from these folks, and they don't appear to be very fast in shipping orders.

Regards
Ed
I'm guessing that the MP15 doesn't have traction tires. Looking forward to hearing from you on the sound.

I think I am extra sensitive to poor pick-up between my track and locos. On the former layout which was in the non-climate controlled non-environmentally sealed garage, I had heck keeping things clean and running. That's why the switchers are MUed togehter. I had also made provisions to hardwire MU my CF7s and a couple other locos too. I've only been running trains in the new building for a couple weeks - after cleaning the old track real good, haven't had any issues. But still, I am definitely overly sensitive to poor performance from dirty track and wheels.

Again, looking forward to the arrival of your new loco and seeing your excitement with the sound! Thumbsup
Ed, I can’t tell you about the sound, because I got an Atlas MP 15 DC without sound and installed a LokSound decoder myself, but my engine definitely does not have traction tires. It is a fantastic engine and it runs smooth as silk. I am sure you will love it!

[Image: 2690-1.jpg]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Ed, I can’t tell you about the sound, because I got an Atlas MP 15 DC without sound and installed a LokSound decoder myself, but my engine definitely does not have traction tires. It is a fantastic engine and it runs smooth as silk. I am sure you will love it!
Kurt;
Thanks for the update! Don't think I need the heart meds now! That's a fine job you did on your SP unit! Sort of the weathering I envision for mine. Something on this order:

Ed
Ed
cnw1961 Wrote:Ed, I can’t tell you about the sound, because I got an Atlas MP 15 DC without sound and installed a LokSound decoder myself, but my engine definitely does not have traction tires. It is a fantastic engine and it runs smooth as silk. I am sure you will love it!

CNW ...

NICE Weathering job!!!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
You guys don't let Kurt fool you. That is so obviously a cropped pic of a prototype loco that it ain't even funny.

On the traction tires- Not to cause any stress, but the P2K non-sound SW900 doesn't have them, but the sound version does. But again, with the somewhat bigger size of the MP15, they probably have room for enough weight to avoid them.
Gary S Wrote:You guys don't let Kurt fool you. That is so obviously a cropped pic of a prototype loco that it ain't even funny.

Gary ... SSSSSHHHHH .... you must not tell them .... Wink

Gary S Wrote:On the traction tires- Not to cause any stress, but the P2K non-sound SW900 doesn't have them, but the sound version does. But again, with the somewhat bigger size of the MP15, they probably have room for enough weight to avoid them.

I checked the parts list of my Atlas MP 15. Only one wheel set is listed there for both the sound and the non-sound version ... so, no traction tires!
Kurt
Gary S Wrote:You guys don't let Kurt fool you. That is so obviously a cropped pic of a prototype loco that it ain't even funny.
Thought that photo looked a little too good - on closer inspection, you can see the cigarette smoke drifting around in the cab!
cnw1961 Wrote:I checked the parts list of my Atlas MP 15. Only one wheel set is listed there for both the sound and the non-sound version ... so, no traction tires!
Thanks for the update Kurt. Guess I'll find out for sure one of these days, if the dealer I ordered it from ever decides to ship it!
Ed
Well Gentlemen - the MP15 arrived yesterday and I've been trying her out this morning. Really disappointed - I CAN'T SMELL THE DIESEL EXHAUST!!!

Seriously - So far, I'm very pleased with this model. The sound is great and operation is smooth. No traction tires and seems to have plenty of weight. Detail is just great too. In fact, details are exactly right for the 10 MP15's the L&N purchased.

Did get a bit nervous when I first ran the model. At very slow speed (less than 10-12 smph) it would jerk very badly. But after running it back and forth on my test track for a little while - it seems to have smoothed out very nicely.

Just getting into this DCC stuff and I know there are a lot of adjustments I can make for individual locomotives, so will have to experiment some. Just getting used to the NEC Power Cab and this of course is my first sound equipped locomotive so this is an adventure.

In playing around with the loco this morning - one funny thing. Every now and then, and for no apparent reason, the loco will suddenly stop, then start moving again. Track is ultra clean and the few times that this has happened, it's always been in a different spot. Not sure what to make of that.

UPDATE: Managed to throw together a loop of track to run her on for break in purposes and it seems to be smoothing out nicely. Still does the occasional stall thing, but not quite as bad - even on not so clean track. After some break in running (about an hours worth) - did a little switching with her and must say it brought back memories hearing that EMD prime mover!
Ed