Ralph's Layout Self-improvement Blog
Thanks Gary...but I kept looking at the proto ready-mix photo and your comment about having it as a guide...and thought...Why not make it look more like the real thing?! So, I took it apart and tried again. Here is the latest rendition...

[Image: IMG_2076.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2075.jpg]

I still need to weather the conveyor and secure the supports for it, and then add some ground cover around the structure, but
I like this version a lot better.

Ralph
I like it too. The way the silos are partially built in to the structure is unique, I don't remeber seeing any like that before. I also like the ballpark lights in the background. Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I've been doing some work on various parts of the layout in December. This corner, opposite from the Ready Mix company pictured earlier is essentially complete with a new Canton box Co., the suggestion of a railroad trestle in the background, reworked ballast on the lower main, and better foliage on and in front of the rock walls behind the abandoned station. Those rock wall segments come out and provide access to hidden track. Pieces of greenery would fall off whenever I removed them. Now they are better secured.

[Image: IMG_2132.jpg]

Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Thanks Gary! I thought about putting guys on the roof of Blue Ribbon Flour but it seemed too high. After trying a few mock ups I decided I liked having a taller structure behind the ball field. I've done a little more work on this area before planning to move on to other parts of the layout. I decided the ball field needed lights. After looking up images of stadium lights I scratchbuilt three sets from cheap materials I had on hand. (Coffee stir sticks, plastic yarn needle work sheet, clear sequins, wire, and little wooden cubes). Some of these materials were from Michaels Crafts store and were used for other projects. I bought the sequins just the other day after considering various materials to represent large light bulbs.

[Image: IMG_1986.jpg]

Those of you who know my work are aware that I am not, and don't try to be, a fine scale modeler. I have the greatest admiration for those who might create an HO scale ball field light tower using etched brass parts and scale light fixtures. Worship Worship Worship I'm more of an "impressionist", however, and enjoy using inexpensive everyday items that suggest what I am trying to model. The results from the above materials...

[Image: IMG_1987.jpg]

...and how they look on the layout...

[Image: IMG_1988.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1989.jpg]

I'll go back sometime and attempt to make some ball players from unpainted figures and perhaps see what other details might be added to the overall scene. Now I want to move on and get to work on the Canton box Co. that was supposed to be my Structure Challenge entry :oops: and I also want to redo my small Redy-Mix company.

Meanwhile, as teams approach the post-seaons playoffs...PLAY BALL! (even at night in Kings Port) Goldth

Ralph

Ralf, Where is baseball player?

My Z-Scale friend has built a baseball field.

[Image: index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=2...13b08c29f7]

Wink Thumbsup

Otherwise you did great. Thumbsup Cheers
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Harry, the game was called because of rain! Goldth Actually I would like to add some players. I haven't found any commercially available HO scale baseball players except for a collection of kids playing sandlot baseball. I guess I'll have to create my own. I have a few dozen inexpensive unpainted figures that with some cutting and sanding and painting might turn out as a team some day. I think I'll need a forum challenge about making "people" to motivate this project! Big Grin

Thanks for looking!
Ralph

PS, can you post a picture of your friend's Z scale ball field?
Hi Ralph, and Happy New Year.
Your layout is Fantastic. You have inspired me to work a little more on mine. I have bypassed this thread forever because of my involvement with my layout, but tonight I turned over a new leaf and finally got a chance to study the whole thread...Great job, and I like what you have done with inexpensive materials

Cheap Charlie. Goldth
Thank you Charlie! Coming from you that is high praise!
Ralph
To be honest, filling the field with a game in progress would probably detract from the illusion - you'd have that guy perpetually running down the baseline, or the endless tag attempt at home. A post-game celebration with an appropriate score in the scoreboard might be a better option.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Ralph---how did I ever miss this thread Confusedhock: What a beautiful layout Thumbsup
rrinker Wrote:To be honest, filling the field with a game in progress would probably detract from the illusion - you'd have that guy perpetually running down the baseline, or the endless tag attempt at home. A post-game celebration with an appropriate score in the scoreboard might be a better option.

--Randy

That's a good point Randy. It would look like a moment frozen in time. I was thinking of just having a few team members gathered on the field...perhaps casually talking before game time.

cn nutbar, thanks for the compliment!

Ralph
Nice job on the lights in the ball park. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks e-paw! Here are a couple more shots of the Ready Mix plant area...now pretty much finished. The ramp the dump truck is on at the base of the conveyor is similar to that of the prototype Ready Mix plant on the previous page. I haven't glued it down yet or added any sand or other ground cover around it. Still chewing on how I like it.

[Image: IMG_2138.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2147.jpg]

And a little farther behind the Ready Mix plant is LaRoche Manufacturing, an industry I recently added to provide more boxcar traffic.

[Image: IMG_2139.jpg]

I have other projects farther down the line from this part of the layout that I'll photograph soon...

Thanks for looking! Thumbsup
Ralph
Ralph Wrote:
rrinker Wrote:To be honest, filling the field with a game in progress would probably detract from the illusion - you'd have that guy perpetually running down the baseline, or the endless tag attempt at home. A post-game celebration with an appropriate score in the scoreboard might be a better option.

--Randy

That's a good point Randy. It would look like a moment frozen in time. I was thinking of just having a few team members gathered on the field...perhaps casually talking before game time.

cn nutbar, thanks for the compliment!

Ralph

That's another great way to handle it - and also an excuse to make up a sign to place outside the stands that says "Game Tonight" or something.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Moving a little farther to the right from the Ready mix plant I have created this team track ramp in the vacant lot that was next to Volstead's Tavern...yet another source of boxcar moves...I realized I didn't really have many places to switch boxcars before!

[Image: IMG_2140.jpg]

Ralph
Some more changes: I moved Penn Central's green KP Tower to this location which is more sensible as it surveys the imagined entrance to Williams Yard and also is in sight of the interchange track with the KP&W. Its located opposite of KOSCO (Kings Port Oil Supply Company) which is served by rail and river barge.

[Image: IMG_2148.jpg]

I've added a storage building and workshop made from a passenger car that was salvaged after a derailment. (No one was seriously injured)....

[Image: IMG_2149.jpg]

My next project after this is timely. Charlie recently talked about small power companies. I have one a little farther down the line but it needs some cosmetic improvements. Stay tuned!

Ralph