Good things come in narrow packages
I used the flash for these pics...a little better  :oops:

[Image: r0vQRH.jpg]

[Image: pzeszi.jpg]
Steve
I like them a lot Steve. How did you do them?
They look great Steve, there not a bit low to the horizon though are they? Then again if need be you can paint landscape upward .
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
That's not your lights, it's the "11% gray" light built into the exposure meter...makes my hair look gray, too ! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Steve....Those clouds do look really good...!! I wouldn't mind knowing how you did 'em....

Now about that picket fence..... Misngth
Gus (LC&P).
tetters & Gus....I can't really give a better description of how I did it than I did on the bottom of page 2. :oops:
What I will do (when the weather cooperates) is take a piece of gatorboard or something, paint the clouds outside, and take some pics along the way (if there is any interest). Maybe I can try different variations....I was really winging it when I did the wall ....as usual. Thumbsup

Quote:That's not your lights, it's the "11% gray" light built into the exposure meter...makes my hair look gray, too ! Bob C.
Bob...I knew the gray wasn't cuz I'm getting old.......thanks for sharing the real reason! Goldth

Quote:They look great Steve, there not a bit low to the horizon though are they? Then again if need be you can paint landscape upward .
Lynn...of course they are!....LOL! I just didn't think about it (I should have re-looked at how you did yours). I did mist the lower 6" of the backdrop for an indication of the horizon line....It doesn't show though.... Sad

I hope to get more done this weekend.....hopefully Thumbsup
Steve
Since the layout represents sidings as opposed to mainline running, I was planning on laying the track right on the plywood without roadbed. After talking to my "technical advisor"  Wink I have decided to lay some 1/2" bluefoam down on top of the wood. This will allow the carving of some depressions to add interest. It will also take care of any gaps between the shelf and the irregular wall. I bought the foam in a 4' X 8'  ($9.00) sheet and cut it into 1' X 8'  lengths. I have used "Liquid Nails for crafts" to attach bluefoam in the past (works great) but this time around I decided to use up some of my 1 gallon jug of Elmer's white glue (it was laying around from the old layout). I glued the first section yesterday and it has helped to make the shelf rock solid  Thumbsup

[Image: o3bHgL.jpg]

I spread it around evenly covering the entire shelf
[Image: HoevH4.jpg]

I should never have to worry about the shelf collapsing!  Goldth
[Image: guIvjx.jpg]

Obviously, this is all pretty basic stuff....but you have to start somewhere  Wink. Hopefully, things should get a little more interesting as we go on  Thumbsup
Steve
Steve, glad to see some glue spreading and some foam hitting the base of the layout!! Looking forward to some more progress pics Misngth Thumbsup

Your making me really jealous and anxious to start my M&ET modules, stupid no job, hopefully thats changing soon tho, i have 2 leads that i might be able to snatch up one of them im hoping lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Steve...When the foam hits the wood, it can only mean bigger things are to come....

Do you have a trackplan yet...Or are you going to keep "winging" it..?? 35
Gus (LC&P).
Josh....it's not easy being patient is it? Hang in there, good things will happen!.
Gus...The trackplan is in the first post on page one Wink Any thoughts?
Steve
What? No trains yet? I must say I'm a bit disappointed Steve. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

357 357 357 Icon_lol
Good idea with the layer of foam board that will open up all kinds of possibilties. My next layout will be foam board over an open grid.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
tetters....Still no trains, but I'm getting closer! Wink  Thumbsup

Quote:Good idea with the layer of foam board that will open up all kinds of possibilties. My next layout will be foam board over an open grid.
Lynn...I have to confess that I was not planning on putting anything between the track and plywood. The idea of at least putting cork down so that I could get a little variation in ground features was suggested to me by Kurt. I then saw that the 1/2" blue foam would only cost about $10 and decided to go with it. I do like working with the foam so I'm glad I listened to Kurt.

Finally.....I have started to lay track. Those of you who remember my old layout know that it was made up of about 80% curves. I also did not skimp on soldering feeder wires to the track. I saved as much of the track as was possible when I dismantled the layout, however, because of all the feeder wires soldered on the curves, much of it is unuseable. I have managed to save (with a lot of cutting) quite a few 18" pieces and even a few longer ones. All this means is that I will be forced to have more joint connections than I would like..........oh well Icon_lol . I had also wanted to have all 10 turnouts be #6's, but I have mostly #4's and only three #6 T.O.'s on hand, that would mean purchasing 7 more.....not going to happen! I will live with the # 4's and save the money.
I do need a few sections of flextrack and went to my LHS to get about 5 lengths.............I have mentioned more than once about how LOUSY my LHS is. Well I go there and can't find any code 83 flextrack (all I found was a few pieces of code 100). I ask the guy working there if they have any and he tells me that they stopped selling it because nobody was buying it. I hate that store! It is very rare that they have what I need in stock........anyway, He's going to get it from another store and it should be in by Friday..............that is why I order online 95% of the time. I would love to support the LHS but they never have what I need. Curse
Rant over..........LOL!

I just started laying some track tonight....not much, but it is good to get some track down. Laying track is actually one of my favorite parts of the hobby, ballasting on the other hand..................
You will notice that I like to draw the lines for the 1ft grid on the foam and also the center lines for the straight sections of track. I find it just makes it easy for me to position the track where it is supposed to be and keep my straight runs neat without having to rely on a straight-edge as I'm tacking it down.
(that was a public service announcement for anyone who has never put down track while following a drawing before) Icon_lol  

[Image: 1nx6eX.jpg]

I hope to get more done this week but waiting for the track will probably slow things up  :cry:
Steve
I hear ya Steve and I feel your pain. Things are looking up though. Thumbsup

The plan Kurt did up for me also calls for # 6's. (I'm not complaining though!!!) I'm in the same boat as you in a way, as my turnout jig is for #5's. I'm sure I could hand lay some 6's using a template, but I'm feeling kinda lazy. 357

Track laying is the best part isn't it?
Steve, don't throw away the ruined flex track. You can remove the ties and straighten and cut 50-60 scale foot rail sections and make flat car loads.