Issues with Digitrax SDN 144 sound decoder
Hey everyone, I am sorry if this topic has come up before. I searched the site but could not find anything. Here is the problem: I installed the Digitrax SDN 144 decoder into an HO scale 44 tonner, and it runs just fine except for when I sound the horn or bell. Whenever I use one of the sounds the engine slows down and then goes back to original speed when the sound ends. The loco only pulls about .25 amps when running, a little more when the sounds are used. In addition, the bell will not turn off immediately and the ringing rate will change to faster before it eventually turns off. The horn works fine the first time, but then gives short blasts the second time it is sounded, and will continue sounding in this manner for a short time. Every now and then the engine will start to run rough and sound like it is grinding and then start running normal again. I double checked all the wiring and it is correct, no shorts fro exposed wiring etc. I even reset the decoder using CV 8 but is has not corrected the problem. Is the decoder faulty, or is there something else I can do? i don't want to send it back and install another one and have the same issue because of operator (me) error. Any advice would be appreciated!

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Chuck, I have a couple of the various Digitrax sound decoders, but have never seen any issues like that. My first thought was do a reset, but I see you already did that. About the only thing I can see to do is change out the decoder and see if that fixes the problem.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That seems a bit odd... My first thought is that perhaps you are dealing with two problems:

1) Faulty decoder or decoder install (if not plug-n-play). The bell and horn should not sound like that, especially after a reset. And the speed of the loco should not be affected by sounds being played. Can you try it in another loco, or even just hook it to track power to see if anything is different?

2) Mechanical issues with the drivetrain:
Quote:Every now and then the engine will start to run rough and sound like it is grinding and then start running normal again.
If you can revert to DC power to check the drive, that might tell you something. One other possibility is something that I noticed with my older sound decoder - for whatever reason, it is somewhat noisy compared to straight DC, and this can be hugely amplified depending on roadbed construction. We have one module at the club that resonates very loudly compared to others. Even the quietest, most smooth running locos sounds as if they are "life size" on that track.

Hope that helps,

Andrew
Thank you for the replies. I tried putting the decoder into another loco, still the same issues Sad On a good note, I stopped in at Funny Pages in Owosso (the hobby shop where I purchased the decoder) and the owner swapped it out for a new one. What a nice thing to do -- he could have just told me to send it back to digitrax using their warranty. That is the beauty of dealing with a LHS -- customer service! The owner is a great guy. Hopefully this decoder will function as it is supposed too!

Thanks again for your replies!
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Make sure wheels and track are squeaky clean....Sound decoders are much less tolerant of less than really clean rails/wheels.... Nope

You might also try this...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digitrax/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digitrax/</a><!-- m -->
Gus (LC&P).