BLI SW7 or Walthers SW1200
Now that I'm thoroughly hooked on the DCC with sound, I'm looking at getting another sound equipped DCC switcher and would appreciate any input from any one that may own one of these. The new Walthers SW1200 got a very good write up in MR and it sounds like a great model. Some other folks have mentioned that the BLI NW2/SW7 models are good performers. Was also impressed with the MR review of the new Athearn EMD GP15-1 which could also be an option and would fit into my modeling time era too. Have seen some good prices on all three of these locos on the 'Net.

As I've said, I'd appreciate any input/thoughts/experiences any one has with any of these loco's, although it may be a bit soon for anyone to have purchased either the Walthers or Athearn locos.

Thanks!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
The Walther's Engine has QSI sound which in my opinion is not very good, The BLI engine has Paragon2 Sound which is alot better, The BLI engine is also alot cheaper, the Engine with sound costs about $140, while the Walthers engine is more.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
I have one of the Walthers. It's a nice looking engine, I'm also happy with the sound. Downside is it's pretty light and has traction tires on two of the wheels, meaning electrical pickup from only 3 wheels on each side. The track and wheels have to be kept immaculately clean to keep it from stuttering and sputtering. I ended up permanently MUing it with a second unit (non-sound) and running two wires between them so they share pickup duties. No issues after that, the tandem unit runs great with no stalling.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Downside is it's pretty light and has traction tires on two of the wheels, meaning electrical pickup from only 3 wheels on each side.
Thanks for the info Gary... Don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I'm thinking the review in MR said it didn't have traction tires, although I may be confusing that review with another one. I'm wondering if this is a second run. If the Walthers model has traction tires, then I'll steer clear of it.

I have an older Proto 2000 (Life-Like) SW8 (straight DC) and although it has no traction tires, it is a very poor runner because it's so light on the cab end. Even adding weight to it didn't help much. Very detailed model, but not a good performer. Makes me long for the days when the hobby shop I used to frequent in Louisville had a test track and you could try 'em out and examine them before you took it home! Now it's a crap shoot - especially if you order on line.
Guess if I go with an SW-???? it will probably be the BMI SW-7 or NW-2.
Thanks again for the info.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
The non-sound Walthers I have doesn't have traction tires and is decently heavy. The sound version isn't near as heavy because the decoder and speaker take up room where the weight would have been. It also definitely has traction tires, but maybe they changed that on the newer models?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times