Cant program locs
So I have MRC's Prodigy Express DCC system. I can no longer get a loco to program succesfully. Even when dont according to the directions on the back of the handheld. I was able to program one loco that ran fine to a different adress, but no longer know what that was and have no running locos now. Im getting frustrated. I use Digitrax DH123 and 126 plug in decoders.

Could somebody run me through how to program a loco?
Kevin, if you don't have a program track, make one. You don't need to know the address when the locomotive is on the program track and the PA is set to program on the program track. It will ask for an address and you can put it in then. You may have trouble with long addresses unless you set CV17, 18, and 29.
BLI has a program that is down-loadable to give you these values for different long addresses. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.broadway-limited.com/supportdocumentation.aspx">http://www.broadway-limited.com/support ... ation.aspx</a><!-- m -->
(it is right at the top of the page).
You might also check to make sure you did not inadvertently set the cab number of the hand held above the last throttle able to program.
The Digitrax decoders say they will not program on the main if I recall correctly.
Charlie
Don't have the Prodigy, but I would suggest trying to reset the decoders to factory default. At least then, you would know that the decoders were using the 03 address, and you could see if they will run using that address.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Don't have the Prodigy, but I would suggest trying to reset the decoders to factory default. At least then, you would know that the decoders were using the 03 address, and you could see if they will run using that address.

How do I do this?

Thanks for the help guys. When i first got it i could program a loco without looking, but now that I walkedaway either somehting broke or Im forgetting something... its goofy.
KevinKrey Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:Don't have the Prodigy, but I would suggest trying to reset the decoders to factory default. At least then, you would know that the decoders were using the 03 address, and you could see if they will run using that address.

How do I do this?

Thanks for the help guys. When i first got it i could program a loco without looking, but now that I walkedaway either somehting broke or Im forgetting something... its goofy.

Depends on the decoder, but it usually involves setting one CV to a given value. I believe with Digitrax it is CV08 set to 008. If you do this on a dedicated program track, you will not need to know the loco address as per Charlie.

Andrew
I believe CV8 to 8 is an NMRA standard for a reset. Make sure no other locos are on the track, as you might end up doing a reset to all.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Kevin, here is what you do. grab some spare track and electrically connect it to the "test track" terminals on the back of you Prodigy Express unit. using a separate track gurantees you won't accidentally reprograme something you don't want to.

Once you're hooked up, turn on the DCC system and hit the "program" button. Hit it until your throttle says "program track", then hit Enter.

keep hitting enter until the screen says "CV", at which time type in "8" then enter, and when it say CV data, hit "8" again, then enter. give the engine a moment, then remove it, and test it under the address of 3 on the layout. It should respond at that point. If not, check the decoder for burn marks. If it is, don't even bother replacing it, digitrax decoders are very Hit-or-miss, and for every person who has had good luck with them, there are three who have had their's fail right out of the package.

The prodigy express is also problematic, not only because it has limited functions as far as programming goes, but some functions, such as the "address" one also give trouble. While MRC claims it will do "all the programming for you", it doesn't, at least, it doesn't do it right. The only decoder i know that will take any address, long or short, from the Prodigy's Address function, is a TCS (Train Control Systems) brand decoder.

While on the note of TCS, TCS has a year-long "goof proof" no questions asked FREE warranty. Unlike Digitrax, who have horrible customer service and then charge you a repair fee, TCS will replace your decoder no matter what, including if you admittedly burned the decoder out yourself accidentally. TCS decoders are incredibly reliable, so you should never have to send one back anyway.

Steamtrains Wrote:I believe CV8 to 8 is an NMRA standard for a reset. Make sure no other locos are on the track, as you might end up doing a reset to all.... Nope

there is no "NMRA" standard for resetting the decoder (though CV8 to 8 is a common one). Some brands have different reset values, so ALWAYS check your decoder's instruction sheet, or at the very least, shoot the manufacturer an Email if you're not sure.

Charlie B Wrote:BLI has a program that is down-loadable to give you these values for different long addresses. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.broadway-limited.com/supportdocumentation.aspx">http://www.broadway-limited.com/support ... ation.aspx</a><!-- m -->
(it is right at the top of the page).
Charlie

I like to use this online long/extended address calculator. its the first thing that shows up if you google "4 digit adreess"

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ruppweb.org/Xray/comp/decoder.htm">http://www.ruppweb.org/Xray/comp/decoder.htm</a><!-- m -->

this is also a good chart to print out. use the "Decimal" values, not the Hex unless the decoder instructions say otherwise.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/cv29-lookup.htm">http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/cv29-lookup.htm</a><!-- m -->

that should give you everything you need to program addresses.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
So I tried the reset thing with two locos. one that worked intil I tried programming it to a new adress the other day, and a brand new loco that I just put a decoder in. I got absolutely nothing out of the new loco, but the older one... when placed back on the main gave a little motor noise, as if I gave it the littlest throttle for about a second. But I cant get either of them to respond still to anything I do with the controller. Now just a few days ago even I was able to run the one loco, untill I tried giving it a new adress.

When I first had the system changing adresses was like the easiest thing to do, what could have happened?
Kevin, do you have someone close that perhaps has DCC and can set them up for you. If you can do this, then it will point to a problem with the Prodigy Express.
You can find out if they run on another DCC layout too. Sounds like you may have a combination of problems. Have you had a power surge while your PE was plugged in? (they don't have to be turned on to get zonked if there is a high voltage spike on a power line). Remember, a switch is only open by a fraction of an inch, where lighting can arch gaps of miles.
Charlie
Geez ... after reading about all these headaches with DCC I start to wonder if maybe I should just stick with simple DC and block control! Confusedhock:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:Geez ... after reading about all these headaches with DCC I start to wonder if maybe I should just stick with simple DC and block control! Confusedhock:
Technology is wonderful when it works. The more you can do, the more can go wrong, and the harder it is to troubleshoot.
Charlie
Yeah ... One more listen to the SoundTraxx Light Steam decoder with the Reading 6-chime and I'll be back to wanting DCC again! 2285_
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Charlie B Wrote:Kevin, do you have someone close that perhaps has DCC and can set them up for you. If you can do this, then it will point to a problem with the Prodigy Express.
You can find out if they run on another DCC layout too. Sounds like you may have a combination of problems. Have you had a power surge while your PE was plugged in? (they don't have to be turned on to get zonked if there is a high voltage spike on a power line). Remember, a switch is only open by a fraction of an inch, where lighting can arch gaps of miles.
Charlie

I actually do not. Ill stop by the LHS that does DCC stuffand see if they can try.
P5se Camelback Wrote:Geez ... after reading about all these headaches with DCC I start to wonder if maybe I should just stick with simple DC and block control! Confusedhock:

the trick, like anything you buy, is to not buy crap. Fecal matter never makes a good product.

TCS and NCE make indcredibly reliable decoders (and in NCE's case, reliable DCC systems). Soundtraxx is also great. You buy the reliable and easy to operate brands, and you don't have a problem.

A TCS decoder you can drop into an engine and expect it to work, if it doesn't, you can get it replaced for free as many times as you want (not that you'll ever need to). An NCE power cab you can plug in, and it will walk you through the steps of programming an address and anything else, and if something goes wrong, it can "recovery program", so even if the factory reset fails the NCE system can repair your decoder programming wise.

More often then not, the complaints are coming from users of digitrax and mrc equipment. Both of these companies have been surviving on their "Brand names". People know MRC for years for their DC power packs, and assume their DCC is just as good, but its got its own issues (the Advanced cab is good though). MRC sound decoders are notorious, and many people have seen the light after buy older Athearn Genesis sound units (before they switched to Soundtraxx, they ran off MRC sound).

Digitrax is the worst for this "selling a name" syndrome. They have not upgraded their DCC hardware in years, and their decoders are known to be problematic (just like kevins). People swear by digitrax since its one of the original makers of DCC (and what many people use). their popular name tends to hook in the new people to DCC, and when stuff goes wrong, it doesn't matter, you already gave Digitrax your money, and now you have to live with it or pay exorbitant repair/replacement fees.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I use the Prodigy Advance and I have equipped 7 sound locomotives with MRC decoders and have never had a problem with MRC. Some people do. Some people have trouble with a lot of different items.
I have seen a lot of problems with the Pro-cab, but I wouldn't call it fecal matter. Everyone has his own favorites.
I have 4 Bachmann equipped DCC units, and they run great too. I have had a few problems with the Loksound equipped units, but I like it too.
The MRC decoders in the Athearn units are made to Athearn specs, for Athearn.
Charlie