Cant program locs
GEC wrote:
"Digitrax is the worst for this "selling a name" syndrome. They have not upgraded their DCC hardware in years, and their decoders are known to be problematic (just like kevins). People swear by digitrax since its one of the original makers of DCC (and what many people use). their popular name tends to hook in the new people to DCC, and when stuff goes wrong, it doesn't matter, you already gave Digitrax your money, and now you have to live with it or pay exorbitant repair/replacement fees."

I'm not sure I agree with GEC here...I've been using a D'trax Zephyr and all D'trax decoders since day one on my layout and the only serious problem I've ever had was "operator induced" (that's the fancy way of saying I f**** up.... Goldth ) which required a trip for my system to sunny Florida. They only charged for return postage. I can attest to the easy "start-up" process, and reliability of their products. I'm not sure what hardware updates GEC refers to, but they offer what is probably the most complete line of command stations and accesories to run anything from the simplest layout, to mega-sized club layouts.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend D'trax products to any one that is contemplating getting into DCC.
Gus (LC&P).
Charlie B Wrote:I use the Prodigy Advance and I have equipped 7 sound locomotives with MRC decoders and have never had a problem with MRC. Some people do. Some people have trouble with a lot of different items.

whatever works. The Advanced cab is probably the right way to go, not the express. the express is crippled without the programming features of the advanced (among other things). thats why i really want to upgrade to the Advanced cab for my Home layout.

Quote:I have seen a lot of problems with the Pro-cab, but I wouldn't call it fecal matter. Everyone has his own favorites.

Its not necessarily a question of favorites, but research. Earlier pro-cab models had a weird issues (like only being able to control two trains at a time) have been fixed. The bottom line is, when you compare an NCE Power Cab to the MRC Prodigy express (these being direct competitors in the entry level market), the NCE wins, and its not as a result of favorites but just straight plain facts.

They both cost about the same (the power cab is $10 more), but the Prodigy Express has very BASIC functions, it can basicaly just run the train and turn on most of the sounds. Programming is frustrating, and alot of the features don't work right unless you have particular decoders. I'm speaking from personal expirience, i own this DCC system and it makes me cry if i have to do anything more complicated than picking an engine, blowing its horn and making it run forward or backward.

The NCE system on the other hand can not only run the trains, but it can run accessory functions, its more powerful, can do things like fast clocks and "yard mode switching" and other features that you'd have to buy a prodigy advanced for. not to mention it walks you through programming an engine and tells you whats in a CV, making it an easy 2 minute operation instead of a headache fiddling with specific CVs.

Ultimately, when people stick to their "favorites" is when they get stuck with problematic equipment. Going out and researching things is how i come to these conclusions, and its how people end up with working things. Even though you have no problems, a quick google search shows lots of issuses for many pieces like digitrax, and MRC, and relatively few for those like NCE or TCS.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Steamtrains Wrote:I'm not sure I agree with GEC here...I've been using a D'trax Zephyr and all D'trax decoders since day one on my layout and the only serious problem I've ever had was "operator induced" (that's the fancy way of saying I f**** up.... Goldth ) which required a trip for my system to sunny Florida. They only charged for return postage. I can attest to the easy "start-up" process, and reliability of their products. I'm not sure what hardware updates GEC refers to, but they offer what is probably the most complete line of command stations and accesories to run anything from the simplest layout, to mega-sized club layouts.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend D'trax products to any one that is contemplating getting into DCC.

I would hesistate. the Digitrx Zephyr is the oldest and most expensive DCC starter system yet lacks many of the features of both the MRC and the NCE Starter sets.

For example-

1. the Zephyr is stuck in one place, you have to buy seperate walk around throttles. the MRC and NCE systems both are hand helds.
2. to consist with the zephyr, you need to reprogram all locomotives to the same address. with MRC and NCE, the much easier advanced consist is used.
3. the Zephyr only has ten functions, the NCE power cab 13, and the MRC Express actually has 16.
4. the zephyr costs $200, the MRC only only around $130, and the Powercab about $150
5. the "ability to run a DC locomotive". is a gimmick, as it just powers down your other engines and still will damge the DC engine if left to sit.
6. while digitax systems do have some of the above functions, you have to buy expennsive add ons when you could just get what you need in the original starter set by MRC or NCE.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
So tonight I did some more wiring on my layout since a good section of the layout just has feeders not connected to the bus lines. I hoped maybe something I did would help my problem. I pulled out my test light and found out that my track IS getting power, not sure if that helps at all, just wondering if this narrows it down for anybody...?
I don't believe I recommended that anyone buy the Zephyr, I was just relating my experience with a Digitrax product, and stating that they offer the widest array of DCC products that I know of.
As to the virtues or shortcomings of the Zephyr, it is indeed a stationary console, and you do have to use an existing DC power pack, or purchase a handheld throttle for walkaround control. If you are a little electronically inclined, you can build your own, as I did, and be able to have walkaround.
-The Zephyr supports advanced consisting where one loco is designated as the lead or "top" loco, and any other locos are assigned to the consist, with their own, pre-designated loco nombers. You do not have to change all locos to the same address (You can do that too, if you so desire).
-The Zephyr is surely lacking in functions, as it only has ten. I don't know why anyone getting into the hobby would need more. I use ONE.... Goldth
-After a quick check on the web, I found the cheapest Zephyr going for $142, and the most expensive at $169. I purchased mine at $150, as I recall.
-As for the DC side of things, I only use the DC feature to test a new loco before installing a decoder, to make sure the loco is running before the "implant". That way I know, if things go south, that the problem had its source with the installation. If you are into running DC on a DCC layout, you do what I did...Make it a DUAL mode layout, with the addition of a DPDT toggle switch. Simple.
Last, but not least...I've never had a problem programming my locos with the Zephyr.....
Gus (LC&P).
To get back on track...
You might try checking this out. These users groups are frequented by some very experienced guys, and someone should be able to help you...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/</a><!-- m -->
Gus (LC&P).
problem solved, trains are running again!
You're going to have to add a little more info...! Wink

What was the problem, and what fixed it? :?: :?: What was the "ah-ha" Icon_idea moment?

Andrew
Well Id love to give a big answer to the problem but I dont really have one. I just kinda keept doin the same thing over and over, pluggin stuff in, unplugging it, repluggin it in, and the ah ha moment was when it just started working again one time. Icon_lol Im sure there was something Id been missing, but right now Im thinkin I wasnt gettin a good connection where the wire clamps on the back for the bus lines connected to the power pack, I took it off, kinda blew in there and thats when it stared working again.
So what you are saying is that there was NOT a problem with the equipment.
It was the way it was installed?
woodone Wrote:So what you are saying is that there was NOT a problem with the equipment.
It was the way it was installed?

Well no, casue it worked the exact way it is a while ago, I never changed that, I just think there was a dirty contact possibly not allowing my prog. track to work right.
After reading and re-reading this thread several times over a week or so, I'm still sure that I want to go DCC.

However ... I have a couple of questions (I'd ask them here but that's not totally kosher, so I'll take them to their own little thread.) :? Thumbsup 8-)

biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:After reading and re-reading this thread several times over a week or so, I'm still sure that I want to go DCC.

However ... I have a couple of questions (I'd ask them here but that's not totally kosher, so I'll take them to their own little thread.) :? Thumbsup 8-)

Sometimes you can have an issue or two with it, but you also can with plain old DC. Its well worth it and I wouldt trade it. Might be good to get a begginer book on DCC or look at one at a library. It will probably give you a good idea as to the basics.