SP&S Redmond Free-Mo
My whole Redmond Oregon thing started out with a 45 degree Free-Mo module and it has grown into both a full set of Free-Mo Modules and a shelf Layout. I was playing around today and set the Free-mo up in front of the shelf layout and took a few pictures of the track gang replacing ties in the industry spur track.

[Image: Redmond+Shelf+234.jpg]

[Image: Redmond+Shelf+236.jpg]

Taking these pictures reminds me I need to finish the substation and the fence.
Once I get the Redmond shelf all running I may take a break and fix this module...or not...
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
looks really nice with the backdrop in the background. What did you use for the wire on the fence in the second photo?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
EZ line from Berkshine Junction....its single thread eleactic material and comes in a few colors. I use it for the fences and telephone wire. You can puch the stuff around and it always bounces back to the way you strung it.

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/scenery.htm
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

Thumbsup
Yo! Greg ...

I'm not sure I understand the difference between your "Free-Mo's" and Sumpter250's "Modules."

They link together with stuff built by others, right? And they're built to a "standard" so they will actually interconnect successfully, seamlessly?

Am I missing something here?

According to the Web, the closest Free-Mo group to me is about three or four hours away ... I don't even drive 2 1/2 hrs to go to an all-model railroad hobby shop in Sarasota!

So what's the deal?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Modules, typically, have a fixed standard of not only where the interface is, but in how the tracks run. The modules I build require 5" to the c/l of the outside tracks, and 7" to the c/l of the inside tracks. There is no curve, or grade permitted in the two "mainline" tracks.
Freemo, only sets an interface ( so they can be joined to form a layout ) everything else is " up for grabs ". At least that's how I understand it.
A "Freemo layout" can be a very interesting thing to behold.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumptner250 You pretty much got it one. The advantage is having every module be reversable and there also is no backdrop. Each side must be set up as a front so there in never an unfinished side. The otehr thing I have noticed about Free-Mo is most groups are void of officers or real formal structure. They have work sessions and meets but do not get worked up over Roberts Rules of Order.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

Modules are layout sections that can fit together with any other module (from that system). Fre-Mo is one modular system (N-Trak, HO-Trak are others).
If you have a modular meet. your module may be next to someone you've never met before. If Greg can't make it to the show, a little shifting of the modules and no one notices.
This distinguishes it from a portable or sectional layout which has to be assembled the same way every time -- because otherwise the track or the scenery won't match.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Kool!

Got it!

Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Greg - take a few more shots like that and submit them to the Walther's catalog Model Magic contest, or the photos section of either MR or RMC. I'm glad you've shared them here, but you could also earn something for those, too!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen: Thanks for the complete!!
I have some more work to do before I send my stuff into MR or RMC. I did get in the 2009 Walthers catalog in the Majic Contest as a runner up. I have a ways to go, but I am getting there...I hope
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:The other thing I have noticed about Free-Mo is most groups are void of officers or real formal structure. They have work sessions and meets but do not get worked up over Roberts Rules of Order.

Cheers

And..... rarely ever any "power struggles". It's what has kept me with the "Lake County Society of Modular Engineers", long after ending my association with the Lake County Model Railroad Club ( I still have their website linked here, good people, but still, a "club", with "officers". ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:And..... rarely ever any "power struggles". It's what has kept me with the "Lake County Society of Modular Engineers", long after ending my association with the Lake County Model Railroad Club ( I still have their website linked here, good people, but still, a "club", with "officers". ).

I could never understand that? To me MRR is a hobby, an interest. A way to escape and have some fun while learning ( with some occasional venting at times but I digress...). I have toyed around with visiting or perhaps joining the local club around here. If anything to just learn from others and enjoy an evening a couple times a month. What I don't need is some uber MRRer barking at me because I don't know what I'm doing or its against club regulations. I'm not big fan of rules...especially when they infringe on the fun factor. Plus I enjoy the idea that right now...the hobby is "mine". I'm afraid joining a club might take away that feeling.

Kinda silly thought isn't it?

I imagine I'll wander over one night and say hello...there is no obligation to join the minute you walk in the door. Misngth