joefryfry's layout - The Waynesburg Southern
Wow, your really coming along on that. The fascia always makes a huge difference as does the scenery. Have you left someway to access the hidden tracks?
TrainNut Wrote:Wow, your really coming along on that. The fascia always makes a huge difference as does the scenery. Have you left someway to access the hidden tracks?

Chainsaw... Big Grin
TrainNut Wrote:Wow, your really coming along on that. The fascia always makes a huge difference as does the scenery. Have you left someway to access the hidden tracks?

I did cut out a large handhole underneath in case I need to grad a car in there. If something major needs done under there, then there will be a problem. I considered cutting a hole in the drywall because it is just a partition, but decided against it. I made sure I cleaned out under there real well, and my trackwork is very good, so there shouldn't be any issues. I doubt that this will be the last place I build a layout, so I'm not completely concerned about it.

I don't know how old your post is with your subway that you built, but that's real neat and you're a pretty creative builder for sure.
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
joefryfry Wrote:I don't know how old your post is with your subway that you built, but that's real neat and you're a pretty creative builder for sure.
It's not very old... less than a week. Thanks for the compliment!
Here's the latest work. Working on ballast now and making trees from Scenic Express super trees. I am on the first round of trees and I just don't know if there is a good way to attach flock or foam to branches on any model railroading tree. There always seem to be branches left with no leaves. Any help on that would be appreciated. Also painted the tunnels and retaining walls, base, and fascia. I added a pond where there used to be a handhole where the helix was. That will be a pasture for a farm that I will put in the area. The backdrop photo isn't quite what I like, but will have to wait until spring to get better panoramic pics.

[Image: ballast_a.JPG]
[Image: ballast_b.JPG]

Here's a sticker that I made for the fascia just for fun.

[Image: sticker.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
Coming right along. The green fascia boards look good. Someday I'll get around to painting mine. Nice to see some progress pics.
TrainNut Wrote:Coming right along. The green fascia boards look good. Someday I'll get around to painting mine. Nice to see some progress pics.

I'm not sure about the green. Black may have been better since I am going to have an eastern forest on here.
The Waynesburg Southern
[Image: P1010003.jpg]

Finally was able to get my ballast glued down, which allowed me to plant my first trees. I'm pretty happy with them. Not too happy with the ground cover under them, but was in a hurry to get some trees there. Ballast needs some work, but at least I can run trains again, it's been a few months. Not too concerned about that now because my work bench has become a tree farm. I like these Super Trees.
The Waynesburg Southern
Well, like my wife who had a pregnancy moment and went and got all her hair chopped off, I tore down my layout yesterday. There were too many issues with trains not running well due to hasty trackwork, too much track in a small space, poor ballasting, and I believe some expansion and contraction. I have some time but not alot of money invested in what I had done. But I couldn't even run trains without having to constantly couple and rerail them. What I'm doing now is going to basically be a diorama with a running train. I'm taking scale drawings of an area that my office mapped and recreating in N scale. The hills will match the contours from the mapping file, something I have always wanted to try. If this goes well and I ever get to finish it, I have the option of adding a section in another room and/or a deck on top of the area I am going to work in now. With the layout I tore down, I did learn alot and was pretty happy with some new scenery techniques I tried. My track work is going to be well within recommended tolerances and I just order some Arizona rock and mineral ballast. I don't like working with the crushed walnuts from Woodland Scenics so I am looking forward to trying this. Thanks to everyone who provides input on my layout and topics that I create here.
The Waynesburg Southern
I've been working on the railroad. Since my last post, I rebuilt the simplist of layouts. Just two parallel tracks in a loop with a hill and tunnel. I've figured we are going to be moving in a year or two and the layout has just been sitting with just the track laid and ballast done with a hill and double tunnel. Work takes up most of my time most of the year. I had some time this holiday break so I decided if I ever wanted to see a finished layout, now is the time, so I have been going nuts on it. As soon as I get the fascia painted, I will be taking and putting up some pics of my "finished" layout. It is pretty much done except for fixing some small details and adding details, which of course could go on forever. I've built 4 or 5 or 6 layouts, but only to getting the ballast done before tearing it down. My wife ribs me about that so I'm happy to get this one "done". The lesson learned here for everyone who can't get over the hump is this: part of the reason we don't get going is because we are unsure of how to proceed or are afraid to make mistakes. I've just went for it and I'm pretty pleased at the outcome. In the interest of time I have some cheap Model Power buildings, that my mother in law thought were good toys for Christmas gifts, and some cheap trees and some cheap woodlands scenics handmade trees that I put on. I have to say the super trees I made look real good, especially compared to the woodland scenics armature type ones that I had sitting around that I placed on the layout as well.
The Waynesburg Southern
Current pic for now.

Attached Files Image(s)

The Waynesburg Southern
Here's another

Attached Files Image(s)

The Waynesburg Southern
Hi Joe, good to see you back at it. The new layout looks great. You learned a lot, and you are right by thinking it best to go ahead and do it.
I have a good friend in your area and I keep trying to get down that way but haven't made it yet. He winters in Florida and is a train nut too. He has Lionel and G scale, even does a big display somewhere in town for the holiday.
I was going to bring Wayne to that area last year but we never made it. I think it was "hell week" and they were rebuilding track on the Mon line so we figured we wouldn't see any trains.
Keep up the good work, and enjoy what you have until the move. Keep posting.
Charlie
I really like the barn colors. Thumbsup
I like it because it is so different and relaxed. No yards, no switches just a line with gentle curves through a green valley. Must be very relaxing to watch trains running on that layout.
Reinhard