Caboose bashing
Here is a pic of a bunch of "toy" cabeese under conversion to more acceptable state of being starting off with a new paint job.

At least one will become an S gauge bobber caboose while the remainder will become various types of HO cobooses. Again the bashing will continue after bills are paid off. At this point I have a pontenial 20 some pieces of rolling stock coming from 5 b.o. cheap and cheesy "toy" sets, wow what fun 2285_ This is from the same set as the box cars and stock cars.
These cabeese are much smaller height wise then the rest of the b.o. train cars from the set(s) too Small for On30 a bit big for HO but passable, ideas for the 5 cabeese are:

1. a bobber caboose in S gauge qty 2
2. a 4 wheel(truckless caboose) in HO qty 2
3. a work caboose body mounted on a flat car in HO

This means I will have to get a bunch more trucks and some wheel sets as well as some material(styrene sheet) to make these cabeese come alive.
As with the kitbashing of the boxcars there has been a delay dur to other things being a priority but the project will begin again soon.
AF350 Wrote:These cabeese are much smaller height wise then the rest of the b.o. train cars from the set(s) too Small for On30 a bit big for HO but passable, ideas for the 5 cabeese are:

1. a bobber caboose in S gauge qty 2
2. a 4 wheel(truckless caboose) in HO qty 2
3. a work caboose body mounted on a flat car in HO

This means I will have to get a bunch more trucks and some wheel sets as well as some material(styrene sheet) to make these cabeese come alive.

Was checking over the caboose project this morning and found by trial and error that the cabooses look better with 2 HO trucks so no truckless caboose, need to get some HO trucks and a S gauge truck not sure if I will scratch build a flat or go with a RTR to mount a caboose body to make a work caboose. Hope to have some progress pics soon.
I think you have the idea. I do the same thing converting small standard gauge cars into narrow gauge. Get out your scale ruler, put trucks underneath, and put it next to other cars until it looks right. I've got two cabooses I converted from standard to narrow gauge. One was a standard gauge bobber that I put two HOn3 trucks underneath, the other was the back end of a life-like or AHM work caboose.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Hello all,
here are a series of pics comparing the caboose to an S gauge kit of Crooked Mountains Line
box car and a box and stock car to be converted to On30(the short cars not the CML box) the O scale figure is for perspective. the caboose Might work in On30 if I ditch the chassie and build one for it, any opinions, pointers, or suggestions on the caboose the Box and the stock car are going to get On30 trucks and couplers(what size couplers does bachmann use on their On30 stock and locos?) The caboose looks too small to me for s gauge standard but may be with some more work it might be passable as well On30 and HO standard

Well anyway here are the pics:

Gotta love them cabeese...Whatever the scale..!! Cheers
Gus (LC&P).
well here are some more pics, this time the caboose is on barrowed s gauge trucks and next to an HO caboose this pic comparison shows that it will not be an ho Item being too tall and wide. With a little work it(they 5 of them) will make nice On30 and S standard cabeese. Good thing I did not order those HO trucks Icon_lol