Lights, Decoder, ACTION!
Having not done a sound installation, I can't offer much more than moral support. But I do offer a caution - the slope into dieseldom is a slippery one indeed!! Tread carefully!

I have a pair of Athearn FM TrainMasters and a pile of detail parts I had collected with the intent of upgrading them and making a nice matched set of VGN diesels to pull a long hopper train. This was originally when I had a home layout in my parent's home, before I went away to college. I packed it away for a few years then pulled it out again during my Internship in California, where I was participating in the club to which our very own Russ B. belongs.

Since I began collecting parts and even working on that project, Atlas came out with their superdetailed plus sound version. Now what do I do? I contemplated selling off the parts to finance purchasing an Altas version, but figured anyone who would buy them would also be contemplating purchasing one of the Atlas diesels too. Rats.

Now I have no plan to operate such large diesels on my current layout (as part of the planned operating scheme) except on the 'loop' setting for test running, so I have no real impetus to pull out the project again for some time. Especially with several steamers awaiting work. Good thing we've got this procrastinator challenge coming up!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
If you haven't visited this site before, please do and specifically the 'clinics' section on decoder installation:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://markschutzer.com">http://markschutzer.com</a><!-- m -->

He's an SP guy, fortunately a steam fan, but there should be some useful stuff on DCC that you may find helpful.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks, Galen!

Interesting stuff!

... Site bookmarked ...

... PDF's saved for future study.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln