Some freight cars for a 1940s Pennsy layout
Hi all

I've spent the last couple of weeks speed-modelling and weathering a batch of my unused freight cars to help provide sufficient rolling stock for a Pennsy layout - Westmoreland Junction - which is due out at Tyneside (UK) show in a couple of weeks.

The layout has been built by members of the Newcastle Model Railway club, but they're a bit short of freight cars, so I'm taking both the 1930s stock from Sweethome Chicago and some 1940s stuff I had lying around.

First up is a Pacific Mountain resin kit of a Baltimore and Ohio I5-D caboose (ballasted with concrete)

[Image: IMG_7612.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7615.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7614.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7617.JPG]

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
Not bad for a little "speed modeling and weathering."

Kriekie!

Are you pulling my blinkin' leg?!!!!

It's GREAT!!!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:Not bad for a little "speed modeling and weathering."

Are you pulling my blinkin' leg?!!!!

I'll give you that one - it took over an hour to build the chair. Here's the photo that inspired me to take the extra time

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...?id=739936

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Priceless!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Wow...that first picture I thought it was the real deal at first glance. Well done sir!
No doubt, that is some nice modeling!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Jon Grant 4472 Wrote:Hi all

I've spent the last couple of weeks speed-modelling and weathering

They are a couple of guys on this forum that are also into speed modelling, you'll fit in here nicely. Great looking caboose

Bruce
Beautifully detailed caboose! I like the way we replicated the old photo. How did you make the chair!?!
Ralph
Outstanding Cheers
Ralph Wrote:Beautifully detailed caboose! I like the way we replicated the old photo. How did you make the chair!?!
Ralph

Ratio plastic kits (UK OO gauge models) produced a signal box detailling kit many years ago, which included the parts to make a wooden chair with spindle legs. I found the back of the chair (hardest bit to model) still on the sprue, but had to make the legs and seat from scraps of plastic and wire.

I found it easiest to drill holes for the wire chair legs in 'Old Charlie's' legs and bum, so he's in for a shock if he tries to stand up Wink

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Hee hee! Thanks Jon. I guess Charlie will remain seated. Smile
Ralph
Cheers Another fantastic bit of modelling by Mr Grant.
Since i'm running out of them I need to find more adjectives.
Next batch of cars are some Bowser X31 series 40ft boxcars and a couple of X32A 50ft cars. The models are repainted models from Bowser, redone with Speedwitch decals.

The cars had been either SAL, T&NO or DTI but I wanted to do at least some Pennsy cars.

Although weathered, I have not added any underframe detail or grabirons yet, but will return to these cars after the Tyneside show. (Apologies for the condensation on the lens)

[Image: IMG_7623.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7651.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7625.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7660.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7661.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
A few more finished tonight - a Tichy flat car, Roundhouse milk car and Funaro Phaudler milk tank car

[Image: IMG_7648.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7649.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7645.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7647.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Lasdtly for tonight, a couple of Tichy single sheath boxcars, plus non-paying guest.

[Image: IMG_7654.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7634.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7636.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7658.JPG]

[Image: IMG_7657.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages