Building drawings
I think the California Northern is located closer to Sacramento than So. Cal. That would be about 400 miles north of Los Angeles. California has a number of climates that are partly cause by the change in latitude. The state is over 800 miles long. The biggest factor in our climates are the mountain ranges. Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen in the extreme north of the state are the southern tip of the Cascade range that runs through Oregon & Washington. There is what is called the Coast Range that runs the entire length of California along the coast from right overlooking the ocean to as much as 10 miles inland from the beach. The 10 miles is the western most part of the range, it may be 20 - 50 miles wide. The coast range is fairly low mountains, typically less than 3000 feet high, although there may be some individual peaks that are taller. To the east side of the state coming south from the Cascade range are the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They are the tallest mountains in the state. Mt Whitney is the tallest at just below 15,000 feet, but the average is probably 10,000-12,000 feet elevation. Just to the North of Los Angeles are the San Gabriel Mts. that continue East to the San Bernardino Mts. and the San Bernardinos turn South and continue almost to the Mexico border. They average 8,000-10,000 feet in elevation. The Sierras are snow covered year round, the rest of the mountains may not get snow. The San Bernardino &San Gabriels will get snow that all melts by the end of May or beginning of June. The Coast range is too close to the ocean and not high enough to get snow, but may get some in the extreme north part of the state. All of the mountains will block rainfall to some extent the higher ranges more than the low coast range. Everything east of the Mountains is dessert, getting less than 6 inches or so of rain in a year. Southern California south of the San Gabriel Mts. is semi arid averaging about 13 inches of rain per year. North of the San Gabriels and west of the Sierras, they receive a lot more rain, anywhere from 20-30 inches to over 200 inches per year. In addition the central Valley from Bakersfield to just south of Mt Lassen is the watershed from melting snows in the Sierras. There are three rivers in the central valley. The San Juaquin river flows North from around Bakersfield to the Delta while the Sacramento River and the American River flows south from the north end of the valley. These rivers meet in the delta area just west of Sacramento and flow into San Francisco Bay. The result is that the northern part of the state is much more green and lush than the southern part.

In terms of history, the Spanish established the missions about the same time as the English landed in Massachusetts. The Spanish never went very far inland except to go behind the mountains into the valley between San Luis Obispo and San Jose. The Spanish never found the gold in California because the gold was mostly in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at least 200 miles east of where the Spanish went. The farthest north that the Spanish went was San Rafael just north of San Francisco. The Russians came to the areas farther north, but they also didn't go inland, they just established fur trading posts on the coast. Architecturally, the two common styles in the early 1900s-WW2 were Spanish Mission & the craftsman style for houses. The state population exploded during the gold rush starting in 1849. The early towns in the inland part of the state were built of wood, but very early on they found out that a fire would wipe out an entire town or city, so after rebuilding some of the gold rush towns 2 or 3 times they switched to brick construction. It wasn't until later that it was discovered that brick was lousy material for earthquake survivability. Following the Long Beach earthquake in 1933, the building codes were changed to make buildings more earthquake proof. In the case of brick buildings, they would cut out a section of brick about 2-3 feet wide every 15 or 20 feet in a building and pour in reinforced concrete to stabilize the brick. There also continued to be wooden warehouses. Following WW2 they started using more concrete tilt-up buildings and steel "Butler" buildings were popular for smaller commercial buildings. Pike stuff buildings are good for modeling the metal buildings. I'm not sure who makes tilt-ups, but they are pretty easy to make with styrene. Old cities will have a lot of brick buildings like DPM mixed with Butler buildings and tilt-up where brick buildings were knocked down to be replaced with a larger concrete warehouse.

During WW2, most of the military personnel going to or from the Pacific theater came through California both ways. The result was a second building boom where many new cities were built up. Orange county (where Disneyland is located) received it's name from the orange groves that made up most of the county lands. If you went outside of any city in Southern & Central California, the farmland would begin at the city limits. In the foothills, they would be cattle ranches. Following WW2 as G.I.s came back from the war, many moved to California, and the farmlands were displaced by new housing tracts. Commercial buildings in these new cities would be concrete tilt-up, steel, or stucco construction. The biggest problem with most model structures is not getting the right kind of commercial buildings, it is the houses. We don't get extreme weather in California, so I've never seen a shutter on any house out here.

This has gotten kind of long, but I hope the information is a help to someone wanting to model California and get it right.
That's a lot of info to digest, thanks a lot for all of that Russ!

I'm going to have to dive into Google Earth and Bing to have a look around what things look like again, particularly will have to go into town, and look what the houses and shops etc look like in general in my Area. Sacramento is probably a good place to start in my case. As you said, industrial parks are probably kind of similar everywhere, I just have to be careful when taking screen shots of billboards and warehouse signs etc, if a phone number shows, it needs to be a californian one :-)

Cheers,

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
On phone numbers over here, if the area code is an 800, 888, or I think 866, those are national long distance codes for commercial/industrial use. They are toll free long distance numbers where the owner of the number pays for the calls rather than the one calling in. With the advent of cell phones and fax machines, there are literally dozens of area codes for just the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Most businesses that sell product to people away from their local area will have a toll free number. If you see an area code (the first 3 digits of the phone number) that begins with any number other than an 8, you need to find out what city that area code services. For instance 562 is the area code for parts of Southeast Los Angeles County, you would not find a phone number beginning with a 562 area code on a bill board in Sacramento because the bill board would be 400 miles away from where that phone number would be found.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:On phone numbers over here, if the area code is an 800, 888, or I think 866, those are national long distance codes for commercial/industrial use. They are toll free long distance numbers where the owner of the number pays for the calls rather than the one calling in.

There is also 877, at least in Canada. The "owner" of the number can stipulate what area the number is effective in - e.g. there are toll-free numbers that work only in Canada or the US, or a particular province or state. They do not automatically cover the whole continent.

Andrew
    Okay, I've focussed on the Davis CA area. I found the arrangement of the station (in the middle of a Wye) very interesting, the building itself is gorgeous, and I was able to adapt part of the trackage to my own track plan. I've added a few tracks on the west side, and ommited a set of turnouts on the east side, but it seems to work on 'paper' so far. :-) Here's the new trackplan.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
    Here is the Davis station building.
I'm now looking on how to best construct this building. It maybe styrene, although making castings and use hydrocal may work better for the big walls. Balsa wood is another option. I am planning to get the dimensions roughly from the pictures, however if someone knows where to obtain a copy of the real drawings (a scan or so) then that would be great. Do I approach Amtrak for that, or would it be the archives of the town of Davis perhaps? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Koos
Tori -

You might try writing to the local AIA, American Institute of Architects, Central Valley Chapter in Sacramento, the next largest city to Davis, or maybe even the Architectural Department at UC Davis, University of California, Davis Campus.

In general, Architects and College Architecture Departments are happy to lend assistance to those interested in building architectural models.

There are two places to start in your quest for useable dimensions.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
torikoos Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]Here is the Davis station building.
I'm now looking on how to best construct this building. It maybe styrene, although making castings and use hydrocal may work better for the big walls. Balsa wood is another option. I am planning to get the dimensions roughly from the pictures, however if someone knows where to obtain a copy of the real drawings (a scan or so) then that would be great. Do I approach Amtrak for that, or would it be the archives of the town of Davis perhaps? Any ideas?

Cheers,

Koos

The register of historic buildings might have useful stuff. Being Canadian, I never get the name right, but I think it is the Library of Congress (?) that maintains the site ... pause to search Google ...

OK, so this page has a "NAtional Parks Service" header: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nps.gov/history/hdp/">http://www.nps.gov/history/hdp/</a><!-- m --> but I think it leads where you need.

Andrew
That station is beautiful, and an excellent example of the California Mission style of Architecture. If there are two or more walls that are identical, you could build one up in styrene to use for a "buck" to use for a mold, but if the walls are different on the four sides, I think it would be easier to make each wall individually from styrene. Are the walls brick, adobe, or stone? It looks like brick with a Spanish tile roof, but it may be plaster painted to look like adobe. Adobe is not used much for any sort of new construction because it doesn't do well in earthquakes and is very difficult to reinforce. I think the only structures left in pure adobe in California are probably the original early California mission buildings and some old Spanish ranch houses dating back to the Spanish land grants.

I just noticed the people next to the station in the picture. I think the arches are @8'-9' tall at the highest point. I'm guessing that the people are average height (about 5' 5"-5'8"). The arches look to be about 3 feet taller than the people at the highest point. It would appear that the arches are about 5' across. If you can't get copies of blue prints or scale drawings, you would probably be pretty close to use those measurements for the arches and then scale the rest of the building from the arches.
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll look into those links and contact a few people to see if they can help with drawings. If not, as Russ suggests, use the persons and other 'known' dimensions to scale up the rest of the building.

Thanks again,

Koos
Russ, great write-up on the geography and history. I enjoyed it too. Seems I remember that California is the most diverse state concerning flora and fauna. Also seem to remember that Texas was second.

Torikoos, google-earth is great for getting the big dimensions of the building. It has a measuring tool built in, and you can zoom in close, compromising on the size versus clarity, and then get accurate dimensions. Then go to Bing Maps on Bird's Eye view to look at all four walls of the building. Then as was mentioned, some extrapolating and ratios will help with the other dimensions. Forgive me if you know all this already! :oops:
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Russ, great write-up on the geography and history. I enjoyed it too. Seems I remember that California is the most diverse state concerning flora and fauna. Also seem to remember that Texas was second.

Torikoos, google-earth is great for getting the big dimensions of the building. It has a measuring tool built in, and you can zoom in close, compromising on the size versus clarity, and then get accurate dimensions. Then go to Bing Maps on Bird's Eye view to look at all four walls of the building. Then as was mentioned, some extrapolating and ratios will help with the other dimensions. Forgive me if you know all this already! :oops:

Hi There Gary, I did know it had some sort of measuring tool, but I haven't played with it too much to be comfortable with.
I will give it a shot to see if it is fairly accurate. Does it work out of street view, or should I use it from the position of the great eye in the sky?

Cheers, Koos
The measuring tool works in the satelite view. I use it to make all the "overall" type of measurements.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I'm a happy camper(?). Thanks to you guys for pointing me in the right direction, through a couple links I eventually got in touch with the City of Davis, who own the building. They have been able to send me couple of pdf scans from the refurbishing plans from 1986, where it still says Southern Pacific Depot. Not all dimensions are given, but it is more than I could have hoped for, and could be extrapolated. For instance I have measurements on the main arch stating it's 9' wide, and the smaller arches are 6'8" wide. These plans, together with photo's etc will help in trying to make this an accurate as possible model. It's going to take time, but I hope to update you on my progress from time to time. :-)
Attached a 'screenshot' from the drawing. This could be a long night (I'm many hours ahead of most of you at present :-) )

Koos

WOW! Cool score!