Protecting "contact" areas on brass
Once again, my E44As are giving me headaches!

The problem I'm having now is that one of my E44s actually shorts out every time it hits a curve. I think the trucks are touching somewhere, I'm guessing its hitting the frame, based on the rubbed away paint. That said, the frame is insulated from the trucks for the most part, and they'd BOTH have to be touching in order for it to short (which would make sense on a curve). I figured i could repaint the frame and truck side frames, but this would be temporary since it would just wear the paint away again wherever these parts touch. I've also thought about putting styrene sheet over all the rubbing spots in the frame, but i only did this in one spot before i grew concerned it might be getting in the way (its REALLY thin, but still). I'll try scotch tape next, just as a temporary thing (that should keep the parts from touching.

I was really hoping i could get All three to run for my club's open house, and they need the horsepower to pull a good train, since i can only add so much more weight.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
For starters, what is the radius of the offending curve? When I think of more questions, I'll ask.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:For starters, what is the radius of the offending curve? When I think of more questions, I'll ask.

No less than 30" radius curves
Quote:the frame is insulated from the trucks for the most part

I think you could start here - "mostly insulated". It either is or is not. That could be part of the problem.

Also
Quote:shorts out every time it hits a curve

Any curve? Or a specific curve? A left or a right? Is it possible that something inside is loose and is made to short by the pivoting action of the truck?

Hope that helps. Like biL, if I think of anything else I will let you know.

Andrew
You could file away part of the frame where they touch. It probably won't take much filing.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Well, it looks like this was the case. While adding additional power pick ups (itself a frustrating, but seemingly successful project), i just took some scotch tape and wrapped it around the frame where the trucks appeared to be rubbing. No shorts. I hesitated to file away a part of my locomotive, but i'm sure the tape won't last forever. I'll probably remove it the next time i have to take the locomotive apart (probably for lighting and such).

I was hoping there would be more of like a covering or something i could apply to the frame, that wouldn't "rub away" so easy. i wonder if putting gloss cote on the upper surfaces of the offending brake cylinders would let it slide rather than rub. i don't think it would be noticeable there.
Try putting some ACC on the two surfaces, it will take some time before it will wear off.
I put some electrical tape on my sole brass loco because the tender was touching the cab at some places. I tried to be discrete as the loco is still unpainted (my wife liked it that way).
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.