Soundchipping an HO Atlas SD35
My latest project changes era again, back to the 1990s, after spending the last couple of months in 1930s Chicago and 1940s Pennsylvania.

I hope to fit a Quantum Revolution soundchip into an Atlas SD35 and then detail the loco to show three different owners at once - Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Coast Line and CSX, with lots of patchwork evident.

The first job is to make room for the speaker and soundboard, including the capacitor by cutting away parts of the loco weight. I also removed the dual-mode DCC decoder that came with the loco.

[Image: IMG_8091.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8089.JPG]

The next job is to make a seat for the speaker above the rear truck and fit the rear light.

Ps. Those of you who have followed the progress of Sweethome Alabama may have noticed that the hill in the background has been somewhat de-forested - the trees went to Sweethome Chicago last month

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
Cool stuff. Please post photos of your progress. I'm sure there are several here who would be interested in the sound install.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Amen! Cheers
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I finally finished the install tonight after a few busy days at work.

I added some lead to the top of the motor to compensate for what had been cut away. More will be fitted beneath the long hood, when I start on the body.

I modified the 8ohm high-bass speaker to include the LED for the rear light. This was the only way I could get the LED at the correct height. I also had to cut away some of the clear plastic from the lens/numberboard casting so the speaker would fit.

The capacitor wires were shortened to suit and the capacitor sits loosely on a cradle made using the pickup wires and those for the front nose-mounted LED.

Here are the photos

[Image: IMG_8111.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8112.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8114.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8115.JPG]

Even without the body-shell in place, I am pretty pleased with the sound quality from the speaker.

Now to start on the detailling and weathering on the loco.

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
That looks very clean. What brand speaker did you use, and is that a factory enclosure for it?
Gary S Wrote:That looks very clean. What brand speaker did you use, and is that a factory enclosure for it?

I used high bass 8 ohm speakers from Litchfield Station
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/p...235&page=1

The speaker comes with the enclosure and fit nicely into HO long hoods, once you meddle with the weights.
I had to split mine open for this project to get the LED in and had to shorten the enclosure slightly to avoid the fly-weight on the motor.

I also tend to replace the stiff wire that the speaker comes with, using offcuts of the more flexible decoder wire (from previous installs)

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Thanks for that info. May be getting some of those when I get back to working on locos and rollingstock. Have you started on the detailing and weathering of the shell?

Some photos of your weathering in progress would be appreciated! A bit of a "how-to" if you would? Thumbsup