Bridge at South Wayside
Gary,

I think the tan wash really ties it together and keeps the yellow from stnading out so much. Also I was talking about the plates on the bridge itself whic h Isee you have added to your bridge. Looks like you are a small gray patch away from having a finished bridge. I wonder if cutting a peice of trim film from Microscale then putting a wash over it would get the effect you are looking for?
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I want to say "thanks" to everyone who has folowed this thread, and for the great comments. Thumbsup

Greg, I was thinking of decals also, because it could be removed if it didn't turn out right! But I'll just go with the paint, because I have it available. Should have it done in a little while.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Yep...That's it...And it also seems to be toned down more on the far left hand side...

A bridge building company from Roanoke, VA...That's RR heritage..Big time..!!
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, it is interesting to have the info on when the bridge was built and such. This was originally on the Galveston, Houston, and Henderson Railroad. The underpass was built by the Texas Highway Department in 1936, in conjunction with the United States Bureau of Public Roads. Russ Mitchell Inc. was the contractor. The actual rail bridge was built by the Virginia Bridge Company, out of, as you mention, Roanoke, VA. Pretty cool.

Here's an outdoors photo of the bridge, something about sunlight just helps these things so much. Too bad we can't create that inside.... hmmm... should have built the building with a removable roof like the sports stadiums.

Maybe need more weathering on the sidewalls. And the yellow stripes are a bit wide, but will have to live with it. 8-)

The natural sunlight, really brings out the expertly weathered surfaces. And those highway markings?......WHOA, That's Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Any time you have to study a photo longer than a few seconds to be sure it's not a prototype picture, you're looking at an extremely well done model.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank you most kindly, S-deaux- fiddy! Big Grin

I knew I was missing something though. The rust streaks down the concrete under the bridge. So, I used some weathering powder to create those, and also did some general dirtying up of the concrete walls.

This is before, with just a black wash:

And this is after, with the powders. Now, I'm about to spray the entire thing with krylon matte, and that will probably tone down the powder, if it is too much, will do another powder app, then more spray.

Holy excrement!

I first looked at the photo and thought, "So there are two drains under that bridge!"

Then I started to read the copy ...

Gary S Wrote:... Here's an outdoors photo of the bridge, something about sunlight just helps these things so much. Too bad we can't create that inside.... hmmm... should have built the building with a removable roof like the sports stadiums. Maybe need more weathering on the sidewalls. And the yellow stripes are a bit wide, but will have to live with it. 8-)

... You know, I guess it's funny to fool people like this ... but ... it certainly isn't fair!

Awsome job, Gary, as usual!!! Worship Worship Worship
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks biL! Smile

Got the builder's plaques on the concrete walls, sprayed the entire thing with krylon matte, and then took another outdoor photo. Unfortunately, it had clouded up, so the shadows are gone. On this photo, I photoshopped the terrain on the right and left, to mimic the ballast and such, plus did a 'shop on the sky directly behind the bridge, took out some trees, put in some sky.

The road, the railings, the walls, all look good to me. The bridge itself is still like a caricature though. Still, I like the overall effect.

Gary, you know we are close to the point were we make suggestions how to improve the prototype because your model is perfect... Thumbsup
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Gary, you know we are close to the point were we make suggestions how to improve the prototype because your model is perfect... Thumbsup

Best compliment ever! Thank you tremendously, Reinhard. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Quote:The road, the railings, the walls, all look good to me. The bridge itself is still like a caricature though. Still, I like the overall effect.

That's one of the best dadgum caricatures I've ever seen! Super! I too was fooled by the outdoor shot. Big Grin

Perhaps it is the subtleties of the paint that are so hard to replicate, that is causing you to see it this way (as a caricature). This is, I think, why Lance M. and others have been pioneering the photo decal overlay approach. It just captures the finesse of the real think unlike anything we can simulate with paint, chalk and even real dirt. The process that makes the bridge go from new to used (nature) is something that only nature can do well and we come close but still only second place.

That said, your caricture is a very convincing likeness and is still outstanding modeling. Great work!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Another marvelous bridge. Gary, I'm sure you're glad to be at the end of the bridge-building stage, but I'm going to miss these projects! I look forward to your structure projects.

(I was going to archive your prior bridge projects for future reference but alas the photos have died!)
Very nice work, Gary. I don't think you could have done much better. I don't know what it is about taking models of photos outdoors that makes them look more real. I don't think it is just the placement of shadows. Something about the spectrum and intensity of natural sunlight is difficult to reproduce using light bulbs or camera tricks. That's probably why light bulb manufacturers sell different bulb types for different effects, and why there is competition to produce the better quality light. I use "daylight" fluorescent tubes in my layout room, and while they are nothing close to "daylight" they are brighter and balance the colors better than the yellowish incandescent bulbs I had in there before.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
First...the bridge gets hung...and now the photos are dead..?!?! It's beginning to look like a conspiracy to me... Goldth

Seriously...That's an amazing piece of work... Thumbsup
You gotta be proud of yoursel...It's well deserved.
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks everyone. I have the bridge base in place on the layout and screwed down. Put in some foam in the empty spaces on the outsides of the walls. Photos tomorrow.

As for the other bridge threads, the photos should be good. They are all stored in the gallery here at Big Blue. I checked the original bridge thread, and the photos are alive and kickin'!

Since the photos are stored here, you have to be logged in, otherwise they appear as red Xs. Paulman, if you want to, go back and check the threads again, I'm willing to bet the photos are there.

Still have more work to be done on this one, getting the track down and ballasted, and of course, some scenery. On another note, I just may redo the girder, trying to be more faithful to the prototype. Like I said, more photos to come later this week.

Again, thank you to everyone who has followed along with me on this. It is very much appreciated! Smile