Recycling Printer Cartidges
I too, have Gus's problem. When I am at work, all I can think of is things I want to do when I get home. But when I get home I feel too tired to do any of them Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
What saves me from that wretched feeling of "Dang, another night wasted in front of the tv, on the web, (insert vice or other non-railroad related virtue here)" as I'm crawling into bed, is the 5 minute rule. Not that I'm a pro yet, but just do SOMETHING, anything, out with the trains, even just opening unbuilt kit boxes and smiling, anything for 5 minutes. Don't commit to anything more than that. Sometimes five minutes turns into an hour or even two. This has been my approach to packing lately. Just pack one thing, a diorama, some tools, something and leave it at that. Just getting over the inertia is a huge part of the solution. After putting kids to bed, straightening the house, etc. it's all too easy to just sit at the computer. Armchair or desk chair railroading is fine, but it tends to lead to content-less posts (like this one).

Anyway, I love the creativity! Who knew print cartridges could be made into such a convincing GERN flux roaster? Certainly not me, as I've never seen one. But if Wayne is convinced, well, there you go!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks everyone!
Flux Roaster it is.
The idea came at home
As per the contractor's specififactions, lift rings were added.(You can see where some leftover ink oozed out when I drilled for the lift ring)

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
That is too cool, i love all the details on it Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Quote:Flux Roaster
Eek Eek Eek .. Eek ..... Eek ................. Eek
OK, breathe,......OK.
For a minute there I thought you said "Flux Capacitor", and was thinking "How the heck am I going to get that into a DeLorian!!"
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
88, great imagination for making it. It really looks like it is a "something" LOL
And Wayne, the GERN 7b flux roaster? LOL

You guys crack me up.
I showed this to my sweetie and she laughed too.
Thanks guys for the fun Smile
My name is Stephen and I want to give back to this great hobby.
So please pop over to my website and enjoy the free tutorials.
If you live near me maybe we can share layouts. Smile
Have fun and God bless.
http://fsm1000.googlepages.com
An ingenious idea if I ever saw one. That would also make a great Schnabel car load.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Ed:
Fantastic idea!! I have tons of old cartridges lying around, everywhere! However, I do recycle some, and receive a packckge of copier paper from Office Max.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Painted and partially decaled.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Thought turned out to be a great outcome, excellent idea Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
That is such a good idea!!

Now if I could figure out how to make something useful out of my entire Lexmark printer....

- Dan
"Do not use this water for drinking"...LOL Wink

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
That looks great. I am always looking for ways to use those unique "junk" items just laying around the house. I think the paint and decals really work to make the Flux roaster come alive.

I really like how much the GERN industries has become a common theme over here ate the Big Blue. It keeps inspiring me to get on with my trackwork so i can investigate the potential for a GERN facility.
Thanks everyone!
The "Don't Use This Water For Drinking" decal came with the 2005 Walthers HO catalog.
I've beeen holding on to them, waiting for the right time to use some.
The "High Voltage" warning sign was on the same sheet of decals.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
doctorwayne Wrote:Looks to me to be a GERN #7B (that side-mounted electrical box was the give-away that it was a Model B) Flux Roaster - used to bring the crushed ore to a uniform moisture content before milling. It was a big improvement over the #6 Roaster, as it recycles the removed moisture, injecting it, under pressure, into stock whose moisture content is too low. I hope that you're planning on adding lifting lugs for the plant crane to move it to its operating pedestal. Thumbsup

Wayne

Ahh, yes, the 7B. That is a great improvement over the model 6, and especially the 5. After all, the 5 could not deal well with all the anhydrous H2O that was produced as a byproduct of the process. Excellent job of scratch building an exact replica.