AR-1 and auto reversing a turnaround wye
Hi everyone

I did a search on this forum as well as the "interwebs" for this and I found alot of crazy talk. I am hoping for someone to boil this down for me like I was a 3rd grader. Actually, I am probably a big disappointment to Mrs. Forteins as I am sure most 3rd graders could do this...

I am incorporating a turn around wye in a corner of my new shelf layout. I can see that wiring for a simple loop is straight forward, but when you toss the second loop into the mix, it makes my head hurt.

Can I use 1 auto reverser for the whole thing?

As I look at this, its basically a right triangle and I am having trouble with the second leg of the triangle.

[Image: tri.gif]

If we label the sides A, B and C, then where A and B meet would be the wye in the corner. The side C is the main line. Do A and C on wye 1 need to be gapped as well as B and C on wye 3? Do I need to gap all 6 portions of this turn around wye? What is the capital of Kansas?!? GAAA!!!!!

Ok, I am a visual learner and this isn't going so hot. I think I need a cup of coffee and a danish.

Any help would be great!

I tried the Digitrax Yahoo group too...

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
Well you have lost me, As drawn I see NO "Y". Can you show a sketch of the track plan?
I too am a visual learner, but this trangle does not work for me.
See here 2 wyes I drew up real quick in paint. Is this what you are talking about? In either case, 2 sets of gaps on both rails are necessary. In the case where the track between 2 turnouts is isolated that portion of track should be longer than the longest train you plan on turning on the wye. The auto-reverser will change the polarity of the rails instantly when the loco's leading wheelset bridges the gap.

[Image: WYES.jpg]

Either arrangement will work, but I think the top one is more common.
-Dave
Aahhh....

Thank you! I was thinking that I was going to have 4 sets of gaps, but this works out better. The LHS guy was very confusing but now that I see what's what it's not that hard to figure out.

Thanks again
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
Puddlejumper Wrote:In the case where the track between 2 turnouts is isolated that portion of track should be longer than the longest train you plan on turning on the wye.
With small wyes it will not work, as a train will in most cases be longer the any leg of the wye.
With very large wyes it will introduce unprototypical limitations, as no second engine is allowed to enter from the "west" while another is leaving to the "east". A situation quite common when there is much activity.

Puddlejumper Wrote:The auto-reverser will change the polarity of the rails instantly when the loco's leading wheelset bridges the gap.
An auto-reverser is no cure for bad design. Its like switching off the light by making a short.

Puddlejumper Wrote:Either arrangement will work, but I think the top one is more common.
And it is the better design. Put the gaps as close to the frog as possible, then nothing will cross both gaps at the same time as the usual prototypical care will prevent this.
Change the phase of the turnout and the tailtrack with an switch together with the mechanics. Depending on the lenght of the tail I would recommend to change the railsyc only and use a separate booster for the tail and turnout.
BTW: The frog of this turnout is always on the same phase as outside rail of the opposite leg, so you need only 2 cuts.
Bahnmoeller Wrote:
Puddlejumper Wrote:The auto-reverser will change the polarity of the rails instantly when the loco's leading wheelset bridges the gap.
An auto-reverser is no cure for bad design. Its like switching off the light by making a short.

It is not a cure for bad design, it is to eliminate the necessity of manually throwing a switch to change polarity of the tail track. It is quite common in DCC applications for reversing loops, wyes, and turntables, and I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Puddlejumper Wrote:Either arrangement will work, but I think the top one is more common.
And it is the better design. Put the gaps as close to the frog as possible, then nothing will cross both gaps at the same time as the usual prototypical care will prevent this.
Change the phase of the turnout and the tailtrack with an switch together with the mechanics. Depending on the lenght of the tail I would recommend to change the railsyc only and use a separate booster for the tail and turnout.
BTW: The frog of this turnout is always on the same phase as outside rail of the opposite leg, so you need only 2 cuts.

Can you explain this further? I have never seen a reversing loop or wye that didn't need both rails gapped in 2 places. I also don't understand what you mean about railsync and using a separate booster for the tail track.
-Dave