model flex paint
hi all

the other day i got a bottle of model flex csx bkue because my local hobby shop was out of the flouquil csx blue that i usually use. i have never spayed this brand of paint before. does anyone know much about it or have any suggestions as to the best way to apply it. also what psi is best . thanks very much.

todd
Todd

Modelflex sprays just like any other water based acrylic. You do not need to thin it as it is ready to spray. If it does need thinning add a few drops of distiled water at a time. I have only ever had to thin one bottle a little bit. As for the spraying pressure I use 25 to 30 psi. I would start with 25 psi and do a small test spray on a piece of scrap plastic to make sure your getting a smooth spray pattern. When you spray your what ever your spraying do not try to get coverage in one coat. Use a couple of light coats with 5 to 10 minutes between each ( let the first lose its wet look ) before doing another coat. I usually use two light coats then a very slightly heavier light coat and get very good coverage. Modelflex covers real well so it does not take much to get a nice smooth finish. Before you spray it make sure you stir the paint real well. Do not shake it as it makes air bubbles in the paint and they can cause headaches. I found that out the hardway.

Wayne Reid
thanks for the advice wayne! i mainly use floquil and scalecoat II so wasnt sure if there was something differant i had to do with this brand of paint. im painting a atlas 60 foot single door boxcar in csx scheme. thanks again very much for the advice.

todd