Atlas Shrugged Movie
Yeah! I'm absolutely amazed that there's nothing planned at this point for Orlando!

And thanks, Paul ... I'm the 133rd person to request a showing in a Ft. Myers theater.
Like we really have any kind of a shot of getting it down here any time soon! Nope

... and I'm biting my tongue, not discussing the incredibly poor chance it
might have at winning an Oscar, no matter how well done it might be,
considering the controversial subject matter, being an "Indie film,"
and not having any "Major Box Office Stars" cast in major rolls!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
180 for my area.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
The producer is on Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano tonight - on currently but I think the rerun it later tonight. There is also a web site with show archives so it it shows up there in a few days I'll post a link.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
New theaters added:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters">http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters</a><!-- m -->

It's gotten some good reviews from Rand fans, but some others seem less impressed. We shall see.
Well, Paul, you've got it in Orlando now, but Tampa is a 3 hour drive for me ...

... that's not gonna happen ...

Nope

... I hate driving all the way up there just to
go the VA Hospital for COPD tests ... Curse
... there's no way I'm going to drive
all the way up there for a movie!

Unless they decide to run it in a theater in Ft. Myers, I may have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Sad
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Yeah, biL, I saw that... With luck, the movie will do well and go wider. Hopefully nearer to you!
To say this film has been taking flak is no understatement: its reviewer rating at Rotten Tomatoes is in the basement. Due to this and the knowledge that production was rushed and low budget, I went to see the film Saturday braced for the worst.

I enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, and it was definitely not a film for the ages, but if you think of it as the first night of a competently produced three-part TV mini-series, you probably won't be terribly disappointed (of course, TV mini-series are free, so take that for what it's worth). I did feel the passion of the book, and Rand's message was largely intact (if you didn't like the Lord of the Rings novels, you probably didn't care for Peter Jackson's movies; same deal here). As with any adaptation of a sprawling epic, a lot was left out, and those who have read the book and can thus carry in the backstories of the characters will likely get more out of it than those going in cold.

It's a movie about a railroad, but scenes largely take place in offices and restaurants (the low budget rears its head). There is a fair railroad construction sequence, several soaring views of Colorado railroad lines, and the emotional highpoint of the movie: the inaugural run of the John Galt Line. It was worth the matinee price for me.
Geez, all the responses and one comment after watching the movie, what happened? no one watch it?

I just saw it with my wife, would say this is one of the better movies to come out in recent years, I'm so damn glad there was no HUGE actors in it, no overly payed brad pitt or cameron diaz actor scheme.

The subpar Hollywood style movies don't get good wrap anymore, fast moving cameras, massive explosions, or even an actor costing millions to show a smug face for less than 30 seconds for a cameo. If you only like Avatar type moves which are repetitive storylines draw the same way with different characters then it's not for you, but if you like a solid story structure then this is right up your alley.

I would've like if the first part was a bit longer, consider how big the book is, more details needed to be known but also not too known since the book does go a bit too far into backstory/sidetracking.

Definitely recommend picking it up and giving it a good watchin Thumbsup

Popcornbeer

Part 2 is actually set to show later this year, yet no information is known about it.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:Geez, all the responses and one comment after watching the movie, what happened? no one watch it?

Opened on 300 screens, made 1.6 mill the first weekend (no 14 that weekend), peaked at 465 screens, ticket sales dropped significantly the second week (after most of the hard core Ayn Rand admirers had seen it), and after six weeks it was down to 32 screens and had not recouped more than about 25% of the production budget.

Smile,
Stein
That was then, this now, it's out on DVD/Bluray 219
Tom

Model Conrail

still haven't seen it Nope I got to rent it before the 2nd parts comes out.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
This series has sure turned into a FLOP! Eek Nope Popcornbeer 790_smiley_picking_a_fight 219 :peasoup:

Part Two is out now on DVD and has been nothing but whispers..................
Tom

Model Conrail

Saw Part II a few days ago and must say I was not too impressed with the writing. The production quality isn't big budget, but overlooking that, the writing seems to stray from the main message of the book. I can deal with the film-school'esce look of the movie, and almost laughable special effects, but the heart and soul of the movie should be the writing. Staying true to the core of the book is something I think the screenplay writers should have captured better. Some of the dialogue doesn't blend ideas/events well enough. So if you haven't read the book, it would be tougher to follow to storyline.

And...it doesn't end. There will need to be a Part III to finish off the story. So maybe in a few years, the trilogy will be complete.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I've read the book three times. It's an all-time fave along with Breakfast of Champions and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, among modern works.

I saw the first movie, and am anxious to see the second current movie. Atlas Shrugged doesn't exactly fall into a category like The Firm or Gone With The Wind. Atlas Shrugged is portrayed by many as a cult book; I'm no cultist, but the book is exposed naked liberalism/progressivism and is disturbing to many people who see their New-Deal beliefs reduced to ridicule and, ultimately, tragedy.

The first film has great high-speed train sequences, but the acting and production were dull to my senses. It's a bit more than a train movie in my opinion.