He's On The Ground !
Thanks for the education. Smile

I am glad to see that my intuition is still finely honed, though. I didn't think that trestel would hold a big modern heavyweight.
Gary S Wrote:Thanks for the education. Smile

I am glad to see that my intuition is still finely honed, though. I didn't think that trestel would hold a big modern heavyweight.

Gary,That is a on going problem..Many branch lines and short lines has track that was laid in the steam era and as the cars got heavier over the years the rails became to light-I have heard rail pop and crack under a SD40.

The solution for the large railroads was to spin that branch line off and let some short line upgrade it with State or Federal infrastructure grants.This in theory saves industrial jobs by giving continuing rail service for industries that relies on rail.This is usually done before start up of a new short line operator that leases the track from the State or port authority..

Older short lines can apply for a State or Federal grant or pay for track improvements out of pocket.This also includes short lines that leases their track directly from the railroad.

The dangerous thing is their connecting track can be embargoed by the connecting road(s) if it becomes a threat to the connecting roads crew or equipment

Its a balancing act every short line operator must face along with finding and retaining customers..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!