What A Wonderful DAy!
My wife and I started out yesterday by going to into Canon City for breakfast, and on a whim, decided to drive to Guffy to visit her brother. Since he wasn't home, the whim ended up taking us north to Hartsel, then easterly to Buena Vista and finally north again up to Leadville at almost 11,000 feet, following the old UP rail;s along the Arkansas River the whole way.

The day was beautiful, sunny, clear and bright with temp of 61 degrees - despite global warming being a "myth" - and along the way up we passed a herd of perhaps fifty or more antelope, then two herds of deer and a seven point buck grazing by the roadside and totally indifferent to our presence no more than twenty yards away.

In Leadville, we visited a terrific antique store occupying the former hardware store, still complete with the solid wood trim, rolling ladders and a ton of bins and drawers, and ten rooms upstairs also full of antiques! Picked up a few goodies for the collection, ate a wonderful Mexican meal, and headed home. On the way back, we passed a herd of buffalo and saw a young bald eagle perched atop an old telephone pole, watching for his dinner. If you beleive in omens, we had them that day!

Along the way we paralleled the old Denver and Central (?) rail grade all the way from Hartsel to Buena Vista, still in great shape despite a century of neglect, wind, rain, weather and snow and ice. In BV we say old rolling stock from D&C displayed in the local park, but the oddest and most rewarding site was on the long haul to Leadville. I caught a glimpse of an old railroad water tower on private property well below the highway, but couldn;t see it properly heading noerth. On the way back, I was able to see the old right-of-way, the water tower, an old railroad planked bridge and...of all things...a short stretch of narrow gauge track with a caboose and freight car, freshly painted, sitting against the embankment on private property. No signs for a tourist attraction - just sitting there. out of sight and out of mind, and looked tyo be in decent shape at that. Confusedhock: I plan to go back with a camera and get some photos!

All in all, a "day of days".
I am very happy for you! I love days like that. I take this to mean your eyes are working well?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Good to hear that you had such an enjoyable day and that your recovery is far enough along for you to have seen such sights, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Cheers
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Thank you for sharing your day with us---truely a feel good story
make sure you post those pics when you go back.. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Cheers Cheers Cheers
Thank you for sharing that story with us. Made me feel good, and a bit home sick as well. I used to play in an annual golf tournament in Leadville. I love it up there. When I was chasing my private pilot rating, I flew to Leadville from Westminster, what a beautiful flight that was.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
nachoman Wrote:I am very happy for you! I love days like that. I take this to mean your eyes are working well?

Yes - in fact, the drive was a sort of combination celebration and getting back in practice for me, since it was my first chance to drive again since all of this began. Very rewarding from a purely personal standpoint, as well, since I had some concerns about how my depth perception might turn out.
e-paw Wrote:make sure you post those pics when you go back.. Thumbsup

We have a cellphone pic of the buck. I may soon have another, as we have three does and a buck living in the trees on our property, along with the quail and an eagle that sits atop our local "mountaintop" on a large boulder. Makes the outdoor cats a bit nervous... 8-)

The deer come right up to the front deck at dusk to help themselves to the leftover cracked corn we put out in the morning for the the quail. Smile