Automatic reverse loop module
I recently installed an Auto Reverse Loop Module on my layout and was impressed with it's operation. The module is made by MRC. However, lately it doesn't work. I initally used it with my NCE DCC system but recently I was using a regular power pack (straight DC) to run an older engine and the module failed to reverse the polarity. Do these units only work with DCC? Did I possibly burn the unit out by using the DC power? I haven't had a chance to re-connect the DCC syatem back up. (my layout is in the early stages of construction and my DCC system is not installed yet. I was just 'testing' it earlier. I used the straight DC for other 'testing' :| ). Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any experience with these auto reversers I would appreciate some imput. I know there are several manufacturers of these units out there and am wondering which is best.

Thanks,

Kevin
The reverser is for dcc only, and it will not work on non dcc engines. I don't know if that will burn it out.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Thanks Loren, I appreciate your reply. Guess I'll have to hook up the DCC and see what happens.

Happy New Year!

KT
I hope it's ok. Good luck.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Good question , I don't think it is suppose to work with DC. I have a couple autoreversers, forgot the make and I have both connected to the dcc buss.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Well now, this is a quandary. I changed out the reverser with a second one that I had and it doesn't work either! I double, no TRIPLE checked the wiring. Now I believe there is something else going on here. The gremlins are loose!
I am assuming that you have checked for possible shorts around the layout. I have an auto reverse card that I bought from Tony's which I used to hook up a hand laid double x-over. It wasn't working properly until I realized I missed one, countem' ONE, tiny isolation gap, out of the almost twenty I had already cut in the x-over's track work. This may not apply to your specific quandary, but sometimes it never hurts to look to look at whats on top of the layout when it comes to wiring. Wink
Tetters, you pose a good question. I did look carefully for a short but found nothing. What I did do was remove the reverse loop unit and reinstall it again. PLUS, I relocated the power leads. Since this was a temporary set up while I was installing more track, I use two alligator clips to attach the leads to the two rails. I later moved the leads from the two rails to the power bus line under the layout. Now the reverse loop module works fine. I have no reason for this but it works and I'm not messing with it. The rails and the bus are all connected, they are one. Yet when the power was attached to the rails the module failed. With the power attached to the bus it works. Wallbang Go figure.
RailCop Wrote:Tetters, you pose a good question. I did look carefully for a short but found nothing. What I did do was remove the reverse loop unit and reinstall it again. PLUS, I relocated the power leads. Since this was a temporary set up while I was installing more track, I use two alligator clips to attach the leads to the two rails. I later moved the leads from the two rails to the power bus line under the layout. Now the reverse loop module works fine. I have no reason for this but it works and I'm not messing with it. The rails and the bus are all connected, they are one. Yet when the power was attached to the rails the module failed. With the power attached to the bus it works. Wallbang Go figure.

Hmmm....I wonder. The instructions for my On-Guard unit were very specific and said to connect two wires to the main track buss and then two wires to the rails to be auto reversed. Did you have one set of leads connected to the DCC bus to begin with or just have the unit clipped directly to the rails? Perhaps this was the problem? :|
I had the module wired to the bus and to the reverse loop. HOWEVER, I did 'clip' the DC power pack directly to the rails.

UPDATE: I have since completed a second reverse loop (at the other end of the line) and installed the another module. I also ditched the DC power pack and went back to the DCC connected to the bus line. EVERYTHING WORKS! I guess the modules don't work with DC just as nomad stated. The module didn't burn out on DC either so I'm happy about that too.