Your Railroad Book Library
Model Railroad Book List - April 2, 2011

All Aboard The Practical Guide to HO Model Railroading. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1993.

Armstrong, John. Creative Model Railroad Design. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1990.

---. Track Planning for Realistic Operation. 2nd ed. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1994.

---. Track Planning for Realistic Operation. 3rd ed. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1998.

Armstrong, John H. and Thaddeus Stepek. Nine N Scale Model Railroads. Hillside, New Jersey: Atlas Model Railroad Company, 1979.

Chubb, Bruce A. How to Operate Your Model Railroad. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing Co., 1977.

The Complete Atlas Wiring Book. Hillside, New Jersey: Atlas Model Railroad Company, 1992.

Curren, Art. Kitbashing HO Model Railroad Structures. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1994.

Detailing Tips and Techniques. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1993.

Furlow, Malcolm. HO Narrow Gauge Railroad You Can Build. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1984.

Hammer, Ed, et al. Building the Burlington Northern RR in N Scale. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1995.

Hayden, Bob. 48 Top Notch Track Plans. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1993.

Hayden, Bob. Track Plan Ideas from Model Railroader. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1991.

Kelly, Jim. HO Railroad From Start to Finish. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1993.

Kempinski, Bernard. Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2008.

Koester, Tony. Realistic Model Railroad Building Blocks. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2005.

Koester, Tony. Realistic Model Railroad Operation. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2003.

Larson, Russ. Beginner’s Guide to N Scale Model Railroading. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1990.

---. N Scale Primer. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1974.

McClelland, W. Allen. The V&O Story. Newton, New Jersey, Carstens Publications, 1984.

McGuirk, Marty. N Scale Model Railroading. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2000.

Odegard, Gordon. Modeling the Clinchfield Railroad in N Scale. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1990.

Olson, John. Building a Model Railroad with Personallity. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1983.

Rice, Ian. Shelf Layouts for Model Railroads. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Books, 2009.

---. Small, Smart & Practical Track Plans. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2000.

Schafer, Mike. More Railroads You Can Model. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1978.

Schafer, Mike. Railroads You Can Model. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1976.

Schafer, Mike. Traction Guidebook for Model Railroaders. Milwaukee, Kalmbach Publishing, 1974.

Schleicher, Robert. The Big Book of Model Railroad Track Plans. St. Paul: MBI Publishing Company, 2003.

---. N Scale Model Railroading. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications, 2000.

---. Scenery for Model Railroads, Dioramas, and Miniatures. Radnor, Pennsylvania: Chilton Book Company, 1994.

Small Railroads You Can Build. 2nd ed. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1996.

Westcott, Lynn H. 101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1993.

---. HO Railroad That Grows. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1973.

---. Model Railroading with John Allen. Milwaukee: Kalmbach Publishing, 1981.

Wilson, Jeff. 101 More Track Plans for Model Railroaders. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Books, 2010.

---. Basic Trackwork for Model Railroaders. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2004.

---. The Model Railroader’s Guide to Freight Cars. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2005.

---. The Model Railroader’s Guide to Industries Along the Tracks. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2005.

---. The Model Railroader’s Guide to Industries Along the Tracks 2. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2006.

---. The Model Railroader’s Guide to Intermodal Equipment and Operations. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1998.

---. Painting and Weathering Railroad Models. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1995.

Wood, Kent and Ric LaBan. N Scale Model Railroad That Grows. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1996.
I thought it too tedious to list out all the magazines I have so I decided to list just the titles:

C&O History
Classic Trains
The Conrail Inside Track
CTC Board
Diesel Era
Japan Railfan Magazine
Midwestern Rails
The Milwaukee Railroader
Model Railroader
N Scale
N Scale Railroading
The New Electric Railway Journal
North Western Lines
Nostalgic Train
NRHS Bulletin
Pacific Rail News
Passenger Train Journal
Prototype Modeler
Rail Classics
Rail News
Railfan
Railfan & Railroad
Railpace
Railroad Explorer
Railroad Heritage
Railroad Model Craftsman
The Railroad Press
Railroads Illustrated
Rails Northeast
Railway Quarterly
The Short Line
Trains
Trains Illustrated
Vintage Rails

Hopefully this list will help some members find new resources or just broaden their view beyond the two major publishers.
I got three new books

"Railways of San Francisco"

"Train's Toursist Train Guidebook"

"Conrail in Color Volume 1 1976-1979"

The first two my parents bought me while in California, and that last one i just bought today, which is GREAT. Finally, a book that spends more than two pages looking at Conrail electrics. I also managed to spot freight cars that i have the same models of in the areas i model (which is cool because i just randomly buy most of my freight cars).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I only have a handful of books right now. Two are nothing special. A generic modern diesel power photo book and a big coffee table style book about name trains in the 30s and 50s.

The other two I'm a little more happy to have and one isn't even really a book. The first is Rails to Penn State. Its the history of the Bellefonte Central in the exact middle of Pennsylvania. It tells a pretty interesting story of a scrappy little railroad that did battle with the mighty PRR for the better part of a century. I think one of its claims to fame is it originated more tons per mile than any other railroad in the US in the 50s. The other is System Timetable #1 from 2005 for the Allegheny Valley Railroad. Its a small railroad in the Pittsburgh area. I think its pretty neat to have the timetable for roughly the same year for the exact area my freelanced railroad operates. Same ROW and everything, so I don't have to try to divine rules. I have a book of them. That match everything I'm going to build. Neat!
Without itemizing every publication I have, to include rule books, timetables, track charts, etc...
Most of my library covers the Pere Marquette. From the days of the Flint & Pere Marquette through the 1947 integration into the C&O. Then we move to the Chessie years, then CSXT (including stuff I got from training when I worked for them)

I have research materials on the WWII Industries, and the massive military industrialization of the time.

I have several books that cover a myriad of RR topics outside of prototype specifics, all the way into information on RR's and international law.
Let's not forget the massive collection of periodical publications such as MRR and RMC. My father-in-law (Also a serious RR fanatic and armchair modeler) gave me several cases of older MRR and RMCs that he had duplicates of.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
I have three new books

Great Trains of North America

Basic railroad history book

The Philadelphia, Marlton And Medford Railroad Co. 1881-1931

A history of a small PRR branch built through my neck of the woods. Long gone, but I always suspected some "buildings in the middle of nowhere" were railroad stations long cut off from the rails.

Delaware Lackawanna & Western: 50 Year Anniversary of Suburban Electrification 1931-1981

An AWESOME book on the DL&W's electrified commuter routes. These often get forgotten compared to other electrified lines in the Northeast. It not only covers the MU cars, but also the electric plant, stations, shops, and even a map of the the electrifed commuter zone, down to every switch.
I don't have much of a library:

C&O Power

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway In Color 1 & 2

Chessie System Diesel Locomotives

Chessie, The Railroad Kitten

Pennsy Power II

Norfolk & Western First Generation Diesels

Norfolk & Western Second Generation Diesels

Norfolk and Western: Diesel's Last Conquest.

American Shortline Railway Guide

How To Build A Switching Layout

"How To Design A Small Switching Layout"
-----------------------
On the other hand I have 23 railroad DVDs.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Some additions since the spring:

Arcara, Roger. Westchester’s Forgotten Railway. Self-published, 1962.

Bergen-Rockland Chapter, NRHS. Rails Along the Hudson. Thomas M. Crawford and Frederick A. Kramer eds. New York: Quadrant Press, 1979.

Bezilla, Michael. Railfan’s Guide to Horseshoe Curve. Piscataway, New Jersey: Railpace Company.

Drury, George. The Historical Guide to North American Railroads. Milwaukee: Kalmbach, 1985.

Frailey, Fred W. Southern Pacific’s Blue Streak Merchandise. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 1991.

Lindsey, Scott. Norfolk Southern 1995 Review. Mukilteo, Washington: Hundman Publishing, 1995.

Middleton, William D. North Shore: America’s Fastest Interurban. San Marion, California: Golden West Books, 1964.

National Railroad Passenger Corporation. Amtrak: An American Story. Washington, D.C.: National Railroad Passenger Corporation, 2011.

Nelligan, Tom. Commuter Trains to Grand Central Terminal. New York: Quadrant Press, 1986.

Reynolds, Kirk, and Dave Oroszi. Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Minneapolis: Voyageur Press, 2008

Taylor, Jerry. A Sampling of Penn Central. Privately published, 1973.

Schweiterman, Joseph, P. When the Railroad Leaves Town, Eastern United States. Kirksville, Missouri: Truman State University Press, 2001.
Brakie Wrote:I don't have much of a library:

-----------------------
On the other hand I have 23 railroad DVDs.

Any books are encouraged to be listed! If i ever want to know whats in, say, a Chessie system book, i can check here, see that you have it, and ask your opinion of it before I buy. You may even be able to scan it or transcribe bits of info, saving me from having to buy a $50+ book if i'm only going to need a small part of it.

We should really change the thread to be "Big Blue Library"
Most of mine are about British Railways, especially the Somerset & Dorset Railway which I model. I probably have 10-12 of those. I also have some on Canadian railways, i.e. the Canadian National, especially during steam years.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Two more additions at Summerail:

Barry, E. Steven, et al. eds. Railfan For Life: The Photography of Harold Carstens. Newton, New Jersey: Carstens Publications, 2011.

Yanosey, Robert J. Pennsylvania Facilities in Color, Volume 13: Ft. Wayne Division. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books, 2011.
I'm kinda mad that it didn't take advantage of the demise of Borders books while i could. they had a lot of train books, but they almost all sold immediately. the one that didn't sold with the next round of discounts. I kept waiting for prices to get lower for some items, but apparently there are a lot of local railfans or something. All that is left is some book on the NYS&W in New Jersey, which is fine, but not really my area of interest.

oh well, there is always the eventual fall of Barnes and Noble.
A few New books-

New York, Susquehanna, & Western in New Jersey

Delaware Valley Rails: The Railroads and Rail Transit Lines of the Philadelphia Area
Employee timetable additions:

Road Contents Effective
Chessie Western Division Business Unit 10/01/83
CNW System 11/18/90
CSXT Chicago Division 03/01/87
CSXT Cincinnati Division 03/01/87
CSXT Detroit Division 10/25/87
MILW Illinois-Iowa Division 04/24/77
SOU Carolina Division 06/01/70
Another book:

Ingles, J. David. Guide to North American Railroad Hot Spots. Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Books, 2001.