Photo Diorama
Drew,

Any chance you could post a photo of the scene from the same approximate angle as you initial construction photos?

You guys that just knock this stuff out inspire me.

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Drew, your 18" X 29" static diorama is even bigger than my operating N scale 23" X 11" micro switching layout lol.
About the trees, are they from Woodland Scenics ?

Jacques
Thanks again for all the nice comments, guys!

Pete,
Always an honor to receive a compliment from a modeler of your caliber, my friend!

Fluesheet Wrote:Drew,

Any chance you could post a photo of the scene from the same approximate angle as you initial construction photos?...

Matt

Matt,
That thing is buried so far back in my garage these days, somebody’d have to throw me a rope if I were to go in after it!
I have thought about salvaging this scene, along with another chunk of the old HOn30 layout that I saved, & re-furbishing them as some shadowbox dioramas, & just hang ‘em on the wall…

Biased turkey Wrote:.
...About the trees, are they from Woodland Scenics ?

Jacques

The trees & foliage are made from dried weeds & flowers from outside, some plastic dish-scouring pads, & WS ground foam…

Thanks again, fellas! Smile
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Drew, thanks for the information about the materials used for the trees. They look good.
You mention using plastic dish-scouring pads, is it the "Scotchbrite" ?
Any intention to start a thread about trees making ?

Jacques
Wow, that's nice! I know your pictures make it seem quick and simple, but you must have taken time to get things looking just right. The end result is really great. I'm amazed how life like the whole scene feels...maybe it's all the dead fall, maybe it's the coloring, but it really feels real. What a great job.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Thanks again, guys!

I dug up a couple more pics of the diorama…

Someone requested an aerial view of the finished diorama…I found one! This one really shows the imperfections of the modeled “water”…
[Image: airial.jpeg]

And this is a closeup shot of the guy fishing by the trestle…

[Image: fisin_.jpeg]

And here are a couple of shots I took outdoors as an experiment…one was taken in direct sunlight, & the other in the shade…I took these at a very low angle…

[Image: normal_dscf4487.jpeg]

[Image: normal_dscf4488.jpeg]
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
That was me that asked for the overview - thanks for that.

I like the outdoor - shaded photo; great light, shadows not harsh. Looks close to the real thing!

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Fluesheet Wrote:That was me that asked for the overview - thanks for that.

I like the outdoor - shaded photo; great light, shadows not harsh. Looks close to the real thing!

Matt

I agree, the 2nd outdoor picture looks great.

Jacques
Excellent work!! Excellent tutorial!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
I like the "turbulent" water, it looks good to me. Since you don't have the diorama handy, this is more of a theoretical suggestion, but maybe if you were to actually accentuate the turbulence a little, adding some tiny "whitecaps" here and there. I have found that in model railroading, as in life, the key is making the "mistakes" look deliberate! Icon_lol

cheers
Val