LED lighting problem D13sr decoder
Hi guys.
I have installed decoders in 4 locomotives and so far none of the LED lamps will work. I have the anodes connected through 1k resistors to the blue terminal and the other terminal to the white or yellow lead as required. I have reset the cv's 120 and 121 to values of 129 and 130 as per the instructions.
If you watch closely the headlamp will come on for about 1/4 second every now and again if you work the light function key. All wiring has been checked and rechecked
Any ideas or help?
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie...What system/brand of DCC are you using..??
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, It is the MRC PA2
Charlie
Hi, I am not familiar with the MRC DCC system, but it sounds as if the output to the light is not latching. Does the light stay on when you keep the (light) button depressed? If that happens, then it may be a setting on your decoder to change, almost as if the lights are operated as if they were a horn or so. It may just be something like that. The decoder is an NCE which are fairly programmable, which button are you using for the light?
MRC is not known for following the DCC standards properly as most others do. While it may give them the opportunity to do some 'MRC exclusive' stuff, it's a pain when trouble shooting.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
All my other decoders of different brands work fine, and I have 3 throttles and all do the same thing. I'm sure there is a problem with a setting on the decoders, or something with the install. The light only flashes once in a great while so it isn't something that repeats as in a flashing type relay, or a non latching function key. The light symbol comes on and stays on until turned off
Charlie
Check the speed steps, make sure you do not have it set to 14 speed steps, I have seen this problem but it was a long time back.
You should note that the light will work in even numbered speed steps as it is now I think.
woodone Wrote:Check the speed steps, make sure you do not have it set to 14 speed steps, I have seen this problem but it was a long time back.
You should note that the light will work in even numbered speed steps as it is now I think.
Thanks woodone, but CV29 is set to a value of 34. I even checked it a second time, and the locomotive responds to every input by a little move so you know it is receiving. The LED's with the resistors light at about 8 volts dc on a standard throttle when not installed. is this too high. When the light does flash randomly it is bright enough. I'm reading instructions for the umteenth time and I can't see anything I have done wrong, but there has to be something.
Charlie
Charlie...Digitrax I know -- MRC...Not..!! So I can't offer any advice. But there is an MRC users group here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/</a><!-- m -->

I frequent the D'trax users group and you can always find someone that'll help you out. Hope it helps...
Gus (LC&P).
Hi Gus, I'm a member of that group. I think I may be into some decoder problems. MRC is no big mystery, and they have a DCC system that works the same as all other systems and in some cases a little better. IMHO, They have got a bad rap from some of their decoders, and some folks give them a bad rap because they are not JMRI compatible, but they have a good product that I have had no problems with and I have had to rescue some decoders that friends could not program with the NCE pro cab.
Charlie
I think I found my trouble. I read the instructions, Goldth then I followed them. Nope I checked for voltage on the terminals and I had none, so I checked a B unit that had no lights, therefore no programing. Bingo, voltage was there, so I reset one Locomotive to factory defaults, and bingo, the lights work fine. Thumbsup Thumbsup so I don't know what setting the CV for LED has to do with it, but the settings that are in the manual resulted in no voltage to one locomotives lights. I will do the others tomorrow.
Charlie
2285_ 2285_
Gus (LC&P).