My Grande Valley Railway in the "N"ormal scale
Great shots! Keep the updates coming.
That is coming along nicely catt. I keep reminding myself that it is N scale too. Big Grin
Well,I guess I will take a shot at posting a underconstruction photo of my river.This is sort of modeled after the Grand river which actually splits Grand Rapids into two sections.Until the first bridge was built across the river GR actually was two seperate towns.

[Image: river6a.jpg]

The real river has retaining walls running through most of the town with a series of concrete dams lowering the water level through town.I am planning to replicate two of these dams, one back by the wall and the other one at the front edge (fashia).The real difference between my modeled river and the real one is ,the real one has a rather crappy brown-green colour to it while mine has a blue-black colour.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:The real difference between my modeled river and the real one is ,the real one has a rather crappy brown-green colour to it while mine has a blue-black colour.

Ah ha! So ! your modeling "Grand Rapids", instead of "Grunge Rapids". Looks good so far Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
To model that part of the Grand river correctly it needs to be at least one more KATO bridge wide. Eek But I don't really have that much room ,besides I still have to figure what the heck I am going to put againest the wall to disguise that door and give the river some much needed depth .
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

I like the river crossing a lot. What do you use for water?
Ralph
Ralph,
It has a plywood base painted with a mix of cobalt blue ,black,and thicket (which is a green colour).The water itself is Mod Podge (gloss medium).To get it to look like moving water I just pour the mod podge and brushed it forward in sort of a straight line.I may put another coat on but let itset up a bit the do the back to front brush strokes to see if I can get it looking more like moving water.

The real Grand river has a series of dams going across to lower the level asa it flows through town.I am thinking of modeling one of those dams right at the front edge.The reason for these dams was to replace the rapids ,now there is a white water group that want to bring them back.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Well I have finally managed to shovel out the layout from the elevator to the river.Still have a lot to do but it feels like progress to me. :mrgreen:

Pics start here.

[Image: layout_d.jpg]

[Image: layout_e.jpg]

[Image: layout_f.jpg]

More pics next post.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Two more pics. Eek

[Image: layout_g.jpg]

[Image: layout_h.jpg]

More pics to come but I need a bigger shovel for the next section on the other side of the river. :mrgreen:

As you can see I still have a whole lot of work ahead of me.But it's fun.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Looks like a lot of customers along the line to generate rail traffic! Thumbsup
After looking at these pictures about a dozen times I can see lots of places for other industries. Now I just need to find the right buildings or plans. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Actually Catt. Just a suggestion, don't get too carried away.

I love the distance between everything. Perhaps some of those spots could be filled buy non-RR buildings. It is looking great and you seem to be moving along nicely.
One problem i've never had was not including non rail businesses.I have no need to add more rail dependant factories ,but I do need something to fill in all those blank spots along the wall.Possibly even the backside of one or two. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Newest GVR project.

What seems like a very long time ago I started with this,

[Image: hfc_1.jpg]

Which of course builds this,

[Image: hfc_2.jpg]

unless of course if you are me then it might build this,

[Image: hfc_3.jpg]

which you of course can see isn't done yet. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards