My Grande Valley Railway in the "N"ormal scale
Looks like it's coming along well. Pretty soon you'll have a bustling town there. I look forward to seeing the river and dams built.
Carson - What type of freight audit do the railroad companies use?
Nuther small update,this is Kindel Furniture which is based in Grand Rapids,MI. my hometown.The real Kindel is a huge brick structure that was all but destroyed in a huge fire earlier this year.My version is a concrete structure which I am sure is ovious from pictures.

The real Kindel is a absolute monster of a building and in N scale would still be atleast 4 times as long as my version.Anyway here is a current pic of my model.

[Image: kindel11.jpg]

As you can see there is still much to be done,but a little progress is better than none IMHO.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I like the looks of that.... Thumbsup

Having been in the furniture mfg. business all my life, it seems strange that a factory would be multi-floors, and made of bricks/concrete. All the factories (4) I've worked at were single-story metal buildings....I guess I just started when that type of building went out of "fashion"....
Gus (LC&P).
My homeown (Grand Rapids,MI.) was known for many many years as the furniture capitol of the world.There were many multistory furniture manufacturing companies here.Among them besides Kindel,there was Baker,and Hekman .The smallest furniture factory I can recall seeing here was a two story brick on the westside of GR.

The only steel furniture factorys that I can recall (Steelcase being one of them) wall still around 3 stories tall as were the brick parts of that company.

I was told a long time ago that if you did not work for a furniture company in GR you worked for a job shop making car parts. Eek

I will see if I can get some pics of the real Kindel to give you an idea just how big they are/were.

By the way Kindel makes the brag that they are they only company left wherre all the trim is hand carved. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

I like it! Nice that you can memorialize the company after the fire. Thumbsup
Ralph
Very impressive structure even with selective compression! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I found this on M! Live this morning.Nice to know they are still in business in a new location.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/i...plosi.html
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

My self imposed challenge is two parts,first is to see how much more I can get done on my N scale layout while finishing the next phase of my Z layout (have to 4-22-2012 to do that)

Second part is to see how much of my HO stuff I can bring up to club standards(Grand River Valley Model railroad club).
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Here are some pics of my taget area along with a disertation of what I hope to have done.

[Image: winter-1.jpg]

[Image: winter-2.jpg]

[Image: winter-3.jpg]

[Image: winter-4.jpg]

Wow! does the colour suck in these pics or what?

1-Anyway plan is remove the buildings continue repainting the sky ,that grayish looking colour to the left of the first building is actually a rather decent sky blue colour.

2-Get some signs printed up and placed on the different factories

3- Put somw more ground cover dowen along with more paved streets

4-Repaint the fashia to at least the right side of the river.(what you see is a dark green ,new colour is a milk choclate brown)

5-I also hope to do some more to my grain elevator complex.

Time spent waiting for glue and or paint to dry will be spent doing the nrxt major mod to the Z layout.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Your camera should have a "white balance" setting you can adjust to get better colors....Mess around with it till you get it +/- right.... Goldth

Keep us posted on your progress....
Gus (LC&P).
It probaly does have a white balance ,but it also has another problem in the form of what looks like a smudge on the left side of the lens (it is noticable on the left side of the pics) I tried to wipe it off but it is on the inside of the lens.

Anyway ,progress report .The backdrop is painted ,and I touched up some of the scars on the painted top surface today plus I refreshed the grass in the little park that you can see in the third and fouth pics.Backdrop should probaly get another coat of blue ,but I'm going to live with it for a few days before I decide on a second coat or not.

I think tomorrow I will paint the fashia and some more of the painted top surface of the layout.I also need to work on the new silos for the grain elevator but that can wait foer a few more weeks. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Fewer pics this time.Work done so far backdeop is repainted,fashia has new colour and some of the greenery looks green again.Much to do yet but I have some free time to work on the layout.

[Image: winter-5.jpg]

[Image: winter-6.jpg]

[Image: winter-7.jpg]

More pics as more gets done.

Yes,I know the white balance is off,but I have not figured out how to fix it yet.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

One pic this time,I am making progress but when you run out of styrene stock at 7:30 and the LHS closes at 7 you kind of get somewhat stalled.Any way here are a couple pics of pretty much the same area ina sort of before and after views.

[Image: winter-8.jpg]

[Image: winter-9.jpg]

Long ways to go ,but it still feels like I am making progress. Eek Just realized I took the second pic a little further to the right (railroad east).
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Looking good Catt!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Catt Wrote:Long ways to go ,but it still feels like I am making progress. Eek Just realized I took the second pic a little further to the right (railroad east).

You're not only making progress on the layout, but it looks like you've figured out the "white balance" stuff, too. Thumbsup

Wayne